Nifty NC.com hair typing pics

IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Shop By Texture - CurlMart

Have you seen this? I think it would be great for newbies who are trying to figure out what the heck their curl pattern is because it shows "regular-looking people," not celebrities or people with highly styled hair (no more than most of us, anyhow).

Still think it's good to rely on this + the FIA system because some fine-haired wavies have curls and spirals, whereas this system says that curls and spirals are in coarse hair. But whatever...

Good pics for newbies.

Comments

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I think it shows the basic curl patterns quite well. But yeah, I agree FIA makes more sense, because we all know our whirls don't follow the NC.com typing system rules!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Isn't that the truth! The whole 2c/3a combo is a complete contradiction by NC.com descriptions.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Isn't that the truth! The whole 2c/3a combo is a complete contradiction by NC.com descriptions.

Absolutely!!! My hair is definitely both types at once, and does not follow the rules!!

In fact, it makes it's own rules, usually. Lol!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jas76 has hair that colors outside the lines?!

That's wavy&curly for ya'!
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Cool! If I do absolutely nothing to my hair, it looks 2a. If I work it and use product, it looks like 2b but just a tad looser. :tongue5: I clicked on rec products for 2a and loks like I'm on the right track with my product if you go strictly by curl type. Can't wait for my hair analysis to come back though. Hoping to get more suggestions so I can look more 2b.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    According to this - my hair looks like the 2C pattern, especially on the girl they use (except I have more root curl) and the example pics. And funny - I would've always typed Taylor Swift as a 2C and this is the only other site I've seen so far that agrees with me :lol:

Back on topic - it is definitely not thick and coarse though. I visited a really nifty site that showed pictures of individual hair strands and labeled them 1-10 on the fine to coarse scale (10 being coarsest) and my strand looked like a 2 or 3. I've tried several of the 3A products linked on the curlmart site. I still use CJCR. The very first CG combo I tried was Curlisto's Structura Lotion mixed with Control II gel - both 3A products. So it's like I've got 2C but use 3A products. And I have the bounce/body described in 3A - just not as many defined "curls." BUT, it's resistant to straightening like described in 2C. How can one be fine and thin but be resistant too? Go figure. My hair definitely colors outside the lines. I still like FIA's typing system better. Call me a fine-textured 2C :-P
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Cool! I like seeing the pics of real people with REAL curly hair (and hopefully no curling iron touch-ups ;)) for comparison. It makes typing your hair a whole heck of a lot easier, especially for newbies! No one knows your hair better than you do, so I'm into self-typing -- and this helps a lot! To me, though, the 2c and 3a pics look quite similar! :) At least now I know I'm really both 2c AND 3a.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    ^ i thought the same thing about the 2c and 3a pics looking pretty similar. I get theres a difference just not much of one. I think the difference is more in texture and density than actual curl pattern.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lcl0706 wrote: »
    ^ i thought the same thing about the 2c and 3a pics looking pretty similar. I get theres a difference just not much of one. I think the difference is more in texture and density than actual curl pattern.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

I was thinking the same thing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file