Preggie girdles are HOT!

SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
Due to unbearable at times spasm in my back (heating pad and Tylenol make little difference)- I got a maternity support belt at lunch http://shop.nurturecenter.com/memasube.html

It's hard to tell yet if it will help, the spasms are worst when I've been sitting or driving. If it doesn't help, I'm not sure what I can I try. Standing/kneeling at my desk I guess :?
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

Comments

• HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    Please let me know if this works! I have had terrible back pain, and like you said, Tylenol has done nothing for me. I thought about buying one of these, so I'd like to know if it helps you.

Also, my pain is worst when I am sitting.
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Poopsie wrote:
    Please let me know if this works! I have had terrible back pain, and like you said, Tylenol has done nothing for me. I thought about buying one of these, so I'd like to know if it helps you.

Also, my pain is worst when I am sitting.

Where is your pain?

I've had back issues most of my life ( mild scoliosis, more recently arthritis on the spine, and a few injuries over the years) but this is like nothing I've had before. Most of my pain/tension is typically in my neck and shoulders, and when I was preg with DD, I had the sciatic pain.

What I'm having now started about 2 weeks ago, right in the middle of my back on the right side of my spine. Just like a contraction, the spasm starts to build until it feels like a twisted, searing ball of tissue, sometimes travelling around my side towards my ribcage. After a few moments it starts to go away, then a few minutes it starts again. When I last saw my doc and told him, he just said it was likely because everything was growing out front, and it was stretching the ligaments/muscles, but he really couldn't offer any help.

If I wasn't pregnant, this pain would have me on some pretty potent muscle relaxers :?
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    I wanted to marry my support belt. It took my pain from off the charts to bearable.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I just started sitting on a fitness ball at work. It seems to help a bit because I have more flexibility in how my pelvis is tilted. Bouncing seems to help too.
    I just started sitting on a fitness ball at work. It seems to help a bit because I have more flexibility in how my pelvis is tilted. Bouncing seems to help too.

I've been thinking about that- we have one at home, I'm going to test it out for a while before I bring it to work. I'd love to get one of those Scandinanvian kneeling chairs, but they're pretty expensive.
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    see my back pain went away during pregancy and came back 1 month after i had him!!!!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    the ball is so much cheaper - just go to one of those discount stores like marshalls, or TJMax. I got a XL ball becasue I'm relatively short (5'3).

I don't sit on it the entire time but I do sit on it when my back's feeling ooky. I can also use the ball to kneel on the ground and hug the ball to help stretch out my back a bit. Sometimes I put the ball against the wall and push against it in a seated-type position.

Do you know which way your kid is facing? I was told he's breech (my kid, not your's ;) ), but lately I've had very little back pain. I'm wondering if he flipped over.

Maybe your doctor can tell you if the baby position affects how your back is feeling.
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    Steven was Head down the whole time, he was so low they could not see my cervix starting at about 26 weeks...that could be a possibility
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    The doc said his head is down- that's what's causing the shooting pains in my cervix now and then. His skulll is still small enough it bounces around down there and causes me some discomfort. As far as which way he's facing, I'm not sure but most of the kicks are under my right boob, and his hands/elbows get me just above my left groin area. I don't feel much over the right hip/groin or under the left boob.
    Spider wrote:
    Where is your pain?

I've had back issues most of my life ( mild scoliosis, more recently arthritis on the spine, and a few injuries over the years) but this is like nothing I've had before. Most of my pain/tension is typically in my neck and shoulders, and when I was preg with DD, I had the sciatic pain.

What I'm having now started about 2 weeks ago, right in the middle of my back on the right side of my spine. Just like a contraction, the spasm starts to build until it feels like a twisted, searing ball of tissue, sometimes travelling around my side towards my ribcage. After a few moments it starts to go away, then a few minutes it starts again. When I last saw my doc and told him, he just said it was likely because everything was growing out front, and it was stretching the ligaments/muscles, but he really couldn't offer any help.

My pain is also in the middle right side of my back. It's been hurting for a couple of months now. I thought it was weird, because I usually get back pain in my lower middle back. Mine isn't like a contraction, though--it's a constant dull pain when it starts, and usually doesn't stop until I either take a hot bath (which relieves the pressure temporarily) or sleep for a while (I guess the lying down helps a lot). I've been wondering, too, if it is partly because my boobs have gotten so dang huge!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Spider wrote:
    The doc said his head is down- that's what's causing the shooting pains in my cervix now and then. His skulll is still small enough it bounces around down there and causes me some discomfort. As far as which way he's facing, I'm not sure but most of the kicks are under my right boob, and his hands/elbows get me just above my left groin area. I don't feel much over the right hip/groin or under the left boob.

My situation is very similar:
    --the doctor said the baby is head down (but thank goodness I haven't had any shooting cervix pains yet--you poor thing! :( )
    --I can tell she has her foot up under my right boob. She doesn't kick me much there, but it feels like she is constantly sliding her foot up under my ribs. :shock: I can feel the hands/elbows on my lower left side.
    --I only feel her under my left boob when she decides that she needs to slide her foot under that part of my ribcage instead of on my right side.

Also, she is sitting so high on my abdomen!
    GuardianB wrote:
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    exercise ball will be good, but please please please go to the chiropractor.

i started having spasms in my back in the last part of my pregnancy and just delt with them. well, after i had owen they were worse. much worse. i actually thought i might have kidney stones. nope. just horrid back spasms. in my opinion, worse then child birth because i didn't get a break like you do inbetween contractions. a few months ago i ended up having to leave work because the pain was so bad, and i got into a chiropractor for the first time.
    oh my god...best thing ever!!!
    i've had no pain at all since i went to her. turns out the muscles were spamsing because the joints inbetween my vertebre were all inflamed. she actually said that if i came in before i had owen, my deliver would have gone smoother because my pelvis would have been set right to pass that big ol baby through easier. him coming out sunny side up sure didn't help.

i wish i had thought to go to her before. i just blamed all the pain on being pregnant. they'll do adjustments that they can do, but with all that weight out front it moves things around and that's what's causing the pain.
    my doctor told me i had spasms because the baby hit something, too...nope! just things moved and inflamed my back.
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
    What did the chirpractor do for you Meghan? A few years ago I had to go for some PT (pulled the ligments on my tailbone) at a chiro, and I can't say it really helped. I had one adjustment and decided I wouldn't do that anymore, and the electrical stimulation & roller table just hurt more.

I've very open to massage though, I just need to find out if my insurance might cover it.
    Chiropractors have also been suggested by my midwife - but one that specializes in pregnant women. You can try asking some local midwives which ones they recommend.

I'm not at that point as yet - although I am going to get a massage really soon by my doula/massage therapist.
    The ball is helping a lot. I had only a couple of spams on it this morning. It really helps that I can rock back and forth, and sit on my inside butt bones (like astride a horse).

I also found out my insurance will cover up to 12 "manipulation" therapy visits. I just need to find someone in the network (likely through a chiro office)
    Good to hear! One tip - make sure you keep your tailbone tucked slightly and your lower abs tight to avoid overarching the lower spine/sacrum area. That could introduce you to a whole new type of back pain.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    i go to a woman who is very eastern medicine. no xrays nothing. she goes by how well your can push back against her with your legs, toes, arms, hips etc. and then moves to a certian place in your back based on how you preform for that task. she pops it, and it's perfect.
    she works a lot with pregnant women, post partum, and children it looks like. (she has a pack n play, boucer chair, etc in her office).
    i asked her about midwives in the area, and she gave me some names. that was nice, because next time around i want to find someone that won't be so quick to use pitocin. that **** sucks, and i really think they pushed me to have owen faster then a midwife would. i think a midwife would have told me to go home and take a nap.
    anyway.
    she did traction table stuff on my back when it was spasming all the time, and she has an AMAZING chair that massages your back like a person would.
    but she said the adjustments before labor can help relax the ligaments on your uterus, aliging your pelvis properly and allowing your muscles to contract more effectively. (she explained it like a hot air balloon (uterus)with all the ropes(ligaments) attached to the basket(pelvis). the balloon will be it's proper shape and will preform better if the ropes aren't twisted and putting pressure on the basket and the balloon. make sense? i guess it did to me. thats why they suggest going to a chiropractor if you are breech, because they can relax the ligaments, so your uterus will be at it's full size giving the baby more room to move.
    i hope that all makes sense. i'd definately try to find a chrio that specializes in pregnancy/post partum. i can't imagine my old chiro doing this that well. he's very western medicine. xrays, measurements, electrolisis, and lots and lots and lots of appointments. mine only makes you go as often as you really need to go. i've decided that next baby, i'm just going to make sure i go to her on a regular basis.
    the ball is great too if you rock your pelvis under and back. helps strengthen your uterine floor. and it will help strengthen the muscles used in labor. you will be a pushing machine!!!

also, prenatal yoga is great for sciatic nerve pain.
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file