Retype my hair? And grease advice?

twister89twister89 Posts: 137Registered Users
I used to be a 2C when my hair had damage from heat and permanent hair dye. Now that I haven't used any heat on my hair for the past two years and all the dye has grown out, my hair has gotten healthier, but less wavy. Furthermore, the biggest loss of curl is from my own sebum.

I wash my hair once a week (so it only gets wet once a week) with Suave Naturals shampoo and conditioner (and then use LA Looks Sports Gel and scrunch with a t-shirt), and on the first two days after a washing I get some wave, but my hair is quite poofy and frizzy from the shampoo. Day three and four are a lot straighter but amazingly soft and controlled. My hair's natural sebum weighs it down a lot, straightening it out, but making it super soft and oh so combable.

But then on day five, my hair starts to get too greasy. I make myself deal with two days of greasy hair, as over the past two years I've gradually been stretching out how long it takes my hair to get greasy (I've gone from two days to four!) Then on day seven I shampoo and condition it again.

Well, I don't like my routine, because I have to deal with two days of poofy, dry hair, and two days of greasy hair, and only two days of perfect hair in the middle. I want perfect hair ALL the time! :blob7: My hair loves sebum, even if it does make it much straighter (*tear tear*), so I want a way to consistently keep it from getting greasy, while not having to use shampoo to strip it once a week. What are some alternatives I can use to get rid of sebum in my hair without stripping it? I'd prefer something I only have to use every three days, as I'm too lazy to wash it more than that. I have tried co-washing before, but it doesn't remove enough sebum for me. My hair will still get really greasy after a week if I co-wash every three days. Any suggestions? My hair hates the shampoo but without it I eventually get grease buildup. *sigh*

And also, what would you consider my hair type now? Is it 1c, 2a, or 2b? I can't decide. This is my day four, so the roots and back are on the borderline of getting greasy. It looks better on day three:
hairtype_flash.jpg

hairtype_no-flash.jpg

And as a comparison, this is the wurl I used to get from my hair when it was severly damaged. I miss that hair but I know that healthy hair is better than damaged hair, even if I do have to sacrifice the wurl:
old_hairtype.jpg

Comments

• unicyclistunicyclist Posts: 181Registered Users
    Washing once a week for a wavy is a little iffy, but only wetting it once a week my not be the most hygienic....
    I shampoo every other day with a gentle shampoo. To make it less stripping, I add coconut oil (or conditioner) to the shampoo, and my hair is clean but not dried out :)

Shampoo isn't the best for you, but Suave has sulfates. A lowpoo a few times a week is a lot better for you and your hair than a sulfate poo once a week. Some good drugstore lowpoos are:

Shea Moisture
    Organix
    Yes to
    Loreal Everpure/Eversleek/Evercream

The Kinky-Curly line is a little expensive, but the whole line is awesome. The leave-in won't give you grease, and the shampoo won't strip too much, especially if you mix it with the conditioner.
    Routine
    Weekly Shampoo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean + Coconut Oil
    Co-wash/RO: Cure Care Skin & Hair Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Techniques
    • combing to detangle and separate curls
    • scrunch 'n pump!
    • t-shirt turban
    Hair :love1: coconut oil and protein
    Hair :angry7: silicones, sulfates, glycerin, synthetic ingredients

2c/C/ii/low porosity. Growing out!
    *November- above chin
    *January- at chin
    *March- around collarbone
    :)
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If your shampoo has sulfates then it is probably causing your scalp to feel dry. I can't imagine only washing (not to mention wetting) your scalp once a week! Have you tried low poos? They are shampoos w/o sulfates which strip your scalp of its natural moisture. I love Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream and the Gentle Lather Shampoo for low poos.

I also don't quite understand how shampoo makes your hair poofy, could you explain?
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• ljh34ljh34 Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely agree with the recommendation to switch shampoos to something without sulfates. When I was using sulfate shampoos and silicone conditioners, my hair would look okay on the first day, but it was a cloud of frizz the second day...and usually started looking greasy that second day, too. Now, I can get good third day hair.

It's interesting to me that I shampoo less often now, but that my hair is less greasy. To me, that tells me that the shampoo was throwing off the natural balance of my hair and scalp. From your photographs, and what you've described, it sounds like that might be the case with you, too.

I am not sure if you are near a Trader Joe's, but they also have some inexpensive shampoos (about $3-4) that don't have sulfates. Right now I have the Nourish Spa shampoo & the Refresh shampoo from there. They also make some good (silicone-free) conditioners.

I'm not sure sebum-cleansing methods and curls are a good mix...from what I have read about sebum-cleansing methods, brushing hair to distribute sebum is vital. However, many wavies and curlies seem to find that brushing ruins curls and causes frizz.
    ~Laura

• Blog: Waves & Wisps: A Hair Journal
    • Routine: Still experimenting!
    • My hair type: 2b; fine/normal thickness; low density; high porosity (I think!)
  • twister89twister89 Posts: 137Registered Users
    unicyclist wrote: »
    Shampoo isn't the best for you, but Suave has sulfates. A lowpoo a few times a week is a lot better for you and your hair than a sulfate poo once a week. Some good drugstore lowpoos are:

Shea Moisture
    Organix
    Yes to
    Loreal Everpure/Eversleek/Evercream

The Kinky-Curly line is a little expensive, but the whole line is awesome. The leave-in won't give you grease, and the shampoo won't strip too much, especially if you mix it with the conditioner.
    Have you tried low poos? They are shampoos w/o sulfates which strip your scalp of its natural moisture. I love Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream and the Gentle Lather Shampoo for low poos.
    ljh34 wrote: »
    I am not sure if you are near a Trader Joe's, but they also have some inexpensive shampoos (about $3-4) that don't have sulfates. Right now I have the Nourish Spa shampoo & the Refresh shampoo from there. They also make some good (silicone-free) conditioners.
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely look into those lowpoos. I've never used one before! I'm on a budget right now, so I'll probably go for the cheapest one. =P I also need to make a clarifying shampoo (with baking soda and lemon) to use once every few months or so, because I have some sort of buildup in my hair and my regular shampoo isn't getting rid of it.
    unicyclist wrote: »
    Washing once a week for a wavy is a little iffy, but only wetting it once a week my not be the most hygienic....
    I shampoo every other day with a gentle shampoo. To make it less stripping, I add coconut oil (or conditioner) to the shampoo, and my hair is clean but not dried out :)
    If your shampoo has sulfates then it is probably causing your scalp to feel dry. I can't imagine only washing (not to mention wetting) your scalp once a week!
    As for only washing once a week, I do agree it's probably not the best, but it stems from my impatience. I refuse to use heat on my hair at all, but without scrunching, my hair takes 8 hours to dry, and with scrunching, it still takes about 5 hours to dry. I can't wash it super late at night either, becuase if I sleep on it, it'll still be really wet when I wake up the next morning, not to mention messy-looking. So I wash it once a week so that I only have to walk around in public for five hours with wet hair once a week (because I think it doesn't look very good). I wish my hair dried faster, but oh well. That's why at the MOST I'd be willing to wet my hair every 3 days, because of the 5-hour dry time issue.
    I also don't quite understand how shampoo makes your hair poofy, could you explain?
    Since it strips my hair, it dries it out, and without natural sebum to weigh it down, my hair becomes like cotton candy and poofs out, with lots of space in between my hair strands. It looks about 2-3x thicker than my hair does in the first two photographs I posted. If it has enough moisture to form into wurls, the poof is not quite as bad, but lately it's been drier and hasn't been clumping, so it's just been poofy without as many wurls. It's not very sightly, to say the least!
    I definitely agree with the recommendation to switch shampoos to something without sulfates. When I was using sulfate shampoos and silicone conditioners, my hair would look okay on the first day, but it was a cloud of frizz the second day...and usually started looking greasy that second day, too. Now, I can get good third day hair.
    It's interesting to me that I shampoo less often now, but that my hair is less greasy. To me, that tells me that the shampoo was throwing off the natural balance of my hair and scalp. From your photographs, and what you've described, it sounds like that might be the case with you, too.
    That may be why I don't even get good hair on the first day; the Suave Naturals conditioner doesn't have silicones in it, I think. It's just a cloud of frizz on day one AND day two, then starts to get manageable.
    I'm not sure sebum-cleansing methods and curls are a good mix...from what I have read about sebum-cleansing methods, brushing hair to distribute sebum is vital. However, many wavies and curlies seem to find that brushing ruins curls and causes frizz.
    I guess that's true. But I'm still not sure if my hair really is all that wavy seeing how straight it gets when it has the right amount of sebum in it. I'm not sure if I should proceed as if I'm a wavy or a straighty at this point. >_>
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with everybody. Mild shampoos (or just use a tiny bit of shampoo mixed with some water to make it milder) definitely turn down the grease works on the scalp. My hair gets less wavy under the weight of its own oils too, so I understand.
    The long drying time is certainly an issue! If you're willing to wash twice per week, you may see some wave perk-up. You might also consider protein, this often perks up waves.
    Have you looked into dry shampoos? I'm seeing them more and more these days. Maybe a good compromise or for those weeks when you're not going to have those "hair drying hours" available.
  • savannahmsavannahm Posts: 38Registered Users
    I just have to reply because I had the worst sebum issues ever at one point so I know what you are talking about. Tresemme Naturals doesn't have silicones no. But that doesn't mean it won't make your sebum worse. My hair for example loves TN but it hates GF cowashes even though they were silicone free too. It would just build up and cause more to wash more and therefore have even more sebum. It also didn't wash the sebum off my roots well enough to begin with. Maybe trying a different cowash would help. Also you said you scrunch, what exactly do you mean? Do you ever plop, because that really cuts my drying time. I think you could get better hair more days if you just have to play around a little more and be patient.Try one new thing at a time so you can see if its working. If it doesn't ditch it and try another thing the girls here suggest.

Sav
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    Remember however, the feeling of clean well moisturized hair is different from hair that has been stripped. It takes time to get used to the non-squeaky feeling.
    A few more tips to try to prevent the stripping effect of shampoo: dampen hair pre-wash and scrunch in some condish, and massage some onto your scalp then wash. Add a bit of oil to your shampoo before washing. Oil pre-poos also help. Just apply an oil (coconut oil or evoo work well for pre-poo treatments, but you can use whatever you like) to dry hair an hour to overnight before washing. Coconut oil pre-poos really helped my super dry hair!
    I also second the dry shampoo suggestion for extending washing times. They even sell colored ones so it doesn't look powder-y on darker hair.
    Also up-do's are always a good, and cute, option for days when hair just won't co-operate. Goody spin pins are amazing for creating super fast and cute styles.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    You might also consider protein, this often perks up waves.
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    Remember however, the feeling of clean well moisturized hair is different from hair that has been stripped. It takes time to get used to the non-squeaky feeling.
    That's true. I still am not sure how to tell the difference in feel between clean, moisturized hair and over-moisturized hair.

Also, my hair is now trying to defy me. I used the clarifying shampoo yesterday (mixed baking soda and lemon into my regular shampoo) and then used Suave Naturals coconut conditioner for a few minutes since my hair was extra dry, then used some of the same conditioner as a leave-in. But today I have great hair--very little frizz, and more moisture than usual (it feels soft to the touch). I usually don't use leave-in conditioner because it weighs down my hair, but I COMPLETELY stripped my hair yesterday (it felt like straw) and only used a lightweight RO and lightweight LI and yet now my hair feels well-moisturized? Does that mean my hair doesn't require too much moisture to function? Does this mean I'd want to look for a lo-poo with not too much moisture? I don't want to strip my hair like that again, obviously, but it seems like my hair only likes a little moisture, maybe?

My hair is on the finer side of medium, though still medium, so it is likely I WOULD err on the side of needing more protein, but I thought the Suave Naturals coconut already had protein in it.. >_> My wave pattern's pretty weak and easily weighed down, though. If I combed through my hair right now (even though I just washed it yesterday) I'd lose pretty much all the wave I have left.
    A few more tips to try to prevent the stripping effect of shampoo: dampen hair pre-wash and scrunch in some condish, and massage some onto your scalp then wash. Add a bit of oil to your shampoo before washing. Oil pre-poos also help. Just apply an oil (coconut oil or evoo work well for pre-poo treatments, but you can use whatever you like) to dry hair an hour to overnight before washing. Coconut oil pre-poos really helped my super dry hair!
    Hm, considering I can just LOOK at my hair and it'll get weighed down, oil might do bad things to it, even as a pre-poo.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Have you looked into dry shampoos? I'm seeing them more and more these days. Maybe a good compromise or for those weeks when you're not going to have those "hair drying hours" available.
    I also second the dry shampoo suggestion for extending washing times. They even sell colored ones so it doesn't look powder-y on darker hair.
    I tried baby powder once... it didn't do much though. I'm not sure if an actual dry shampoo would be more effective, though.
    Also up-do's are always a good, and cute, option for days when hair just won't co-operate. Goody spin pins are amazing for creating super fast and cute styles.
    Oh I agree. Since my hair has been more lifeless and less appealing these past few months, I've compensated by learning some cute hairstyles. I'm pretty good at french and dutch braiding now, and know about styles like the pull-through ponytail that are super simple but so cute! I recently got the Klutz Hair book from the library too, and it's been super helpful in that department.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't believe your hair takes eight hours to dry! I have longer and a ton of hair (more dense) and it only takes a few hours to dry w/o any product and maybe an extra hour w/ styling products. Both of these times are just air drying and plopping.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

I can't believe your hair takes eight hours to dry! I have longer and a ton of hair (more dense) and it only takes a few hours to dry w/o any product and maybe an extra hour w/ styling products. Both of these times are just air drying and plopping.

It's from my mom's side. Our hair has almost nothing in common (hers is also wavy but it's the COARSEST hair I have ever seen; my dad affectionately calls her Brillo Pad Head sometimes :tongue1:) except that ours both takes forever to dry. Hers takes about 2 hours right now but it's only about four inches long!

Anyway guys, I went to the drugstore and got mundo confused. Out of all your suggestions, the only one they had for lo-poos was the Loreal Ever* line, but there were so MANY shampoos! Each line itself had 2-3 different sulfate-free shampoos. Are these all CG-friendly and okay to use, or are there only certain ones that are useful?
    EverCreme: Nourishing Shampoo, Intense Nourishing Shampoo
    EverSleek: Intense Smoothing Shampoo, Reparative Smoothing Shampoo
    EverStrong: Hydrate Shampoo, Bodify Shampoo, Reconstruct Shampoo
    EverPure: Moisture Shampoo, Smooth Shampoo, Volume Shampoo

I looked up reviews and the Eversleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo and the Everstrong Hydrate Shampoo have the best reviews. The Everstrong Hydrate has much better reviews, but I'm not sure if that means it's actually not stripping your hair, or if the cones it contains are just hiding the stripping. These are the ingredients of the two; I'm having a hard time making a decision:
    Eversleek:
    Aqua/Water, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, PEG-150 Distearate, Parfum/Fragrance, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Polyquaternium-10, Salicylic Acid, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract/Sunflower Seed Extract, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Sodium Hydroxide, Lactic Acid.

Everstrong:
    Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum/Fragrance, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-7, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-10, Methylparaben, Carbomer, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Linalool, Tocopherol, Limonene, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Oil/Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil/Rosemary Leaf Oil, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.
  • savannahmsavannahm Posts: 38Registered Users
    My two cents as to dry shampoos when you have huge sebum problems is that they don't help. I have fine hair though so perhaps that's why I hate them. They make my hair clumpy and lumpy, not cute clumpy.

I think you need to slow that sebum problem down by not stripping. As the other poster said adjusting to how well nourished hair feels may be new to you. The way you described your hair with the puffy, then good, then greasy hair after stripping sounded just like me before I got the CG thing down. I had read CG 10 years ago and tired it but for some reason didn't get that you had to avoid silicones as well as sulfates. So I cowashed with silicones for years, and then shampooed with a sulfate every 3 days. So I had the same pattern going as you. Hope you figure it out! Keep us updated.

Sav
    I think I'd go with the Eversleek, since it doesn't have cones.

Two other brands you might find in the drugstore - Renpure and Organix, both of which seem to be fairly popular among wavies. I haven't seen Renpure at my CVS or Rite-Aid, but I gather it's sold at Walgreen's.

Oh! I also wanted to suggest that you might want to take a look at Del's spritz & condish technique:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/89299-spritz-condish-washing-porous-types-thirsty-curls-everywhere.html

Del mentions that this technique cuts her drying time in half. It might not work the same for you - she thinks it works for her because she has porous hair - but since drying time seems to be a big issue for you, I thought it might be something worth trying.
    ~Laura

• My hair type: 2b; fine/normal thickness; low density; high porosity (I think!)
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    I just bought the new Evercreme low poo (the regular one) with the matching conditioner and I am pretty happy! The other low poos didn't do much for me and the other lines felt pretty heavy to me, almost waxy.
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
    Oh! I also wanted to suggest that you might want to take a look at Del's spritz & condish technique

Del mentions that this technique cuts her drying time in half. It might not work the same for you - she thinks it works for her because she has porous hair - but since drying time seems to be a big issue for you, I thought it might be something worth trying.

Hm, I never actually figured out my porosity. I do know my hair is slightly on the finer side of medium, with the occasional coarse and fine hair mixed in there too. My intuition tells me that hair that takes 5 hours to dry probably isn't normal porosity, though, but maybe I'm wrong.

I did tests, but a lot seemed inconclusive to me....
    Float test: Hair floated indefinitely. (Low porosity)
    Strand test: I felt much resistance going up the hair shaft; my hair felt very... squeaky. Not rough, just squeaky, all the way up to the root. (Inconclusive)
    (Also, if I run my fingers DOWN the hairshaft toward the ends, my hair feels smooth but... bumpy. Textured with little bumps all the way down. Since my hair's not coarse, I dunno what that means.)
    Hair wetting: My hair seems to take a normal amount of time to get wet (though if I spray it with just a little water, it will bead up on my hair) but takes FOREVER to dry (Inconclusive).
    Product absorbency: No idea. Most gels feel producty on my hair, but the one exception is that I can use a lot of L.A. Looks gel and I don't even get crunch, so doesn't that mean it's being absorbed? My hair does get easily weighed down though. (Inconclusive)
    Sebum: Co-washing doesn't seem to remove my sebum easily. The sebum tends to build up on my hair and weigh it down. (Inconclusive)

So.. I still haven't figured out my porosity. Does the spritz & condish work best for porous hair? I'm wondering what it'd do to mine. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try though!
    SegB wrote: »
    I just bought the new Evercreme low poo (the regular one) with the matching conditioner and I am pretty happy! The other low poos didn't do much for me and the other lines felt pretty heavy to me, almost waxy.

Thanks for the recommendation! I ended up buying the Evercreme too (it smelled really nice!); I'll have to see how it works for me.
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    twister89 wrote: »
    SegB wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation! I ended up buying the Evercreme too (it smelled really nice!); I'll have to see how it works for me.

I also just picked up the detangler spray from this line...It does contain amodimethicone, so something to keep in mind for those who are absolutely cone free...And out of curiosity, I picked up the cleansing conditioner! If they perform like the low poo and conditioner, I will be very happy!
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
    I'd say give the spritz & condish a try - I think Del mentioned that people have had success with it even if they don't have porous hair.

Let us know how the Evercreme works out for you!
    ~Laura

• rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What exactly is your routine? Have you tried plopping or scrunching with a t-shirt? That cuts down drying time a lot for me. I would say if you hair is less puffy after you clarify, that might mean that you've removed build up that is making your hair puffy. Like, maybe you removed buildup that was preventing your conditioner from penetrating the hair shaft, so after you clarified the conditioner was really able to do it's job rather than just sitting on the hair and making it look icky. Also, I don't think most wavies brush there hair when it's dry. I don't, and if I did that would make my hair really undefined and messy looking.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
    I'd say give the spritz & condish a try - I think Del mentioned that people have had success with it even if they don't have porous hair.
    Hm, I tried the Spritz & Condish. When I finished my shower and went to apply gel and scrunch, my hair definitely felt... less wet than usual, but with an unexpected consequence... no good clumps! I guess my hair needs more moisture to clump nicely.

I went to bed after 4 hours, with my roots are still somewhat wet wet, but from the ear down is quite dry. I think the roots is because of product, though (I applied some Suave Naturals Mango Mandarin as a leave-in but at the roots it's sitting on my hair being a little greasy D=). I guess my hair dried faster than usual (3 hours vs 5) but I don't like the frizziness and lack of clumps so I might put the Spritz & Condish method aside for now.

But maybe I am low porosity. My hair seems to have trouble getting enough moisture, while also easily getting conditioner buildup. I'm not sure what the best compromise would be in this case, if that's the case. I'm not sure if I'm better off switching to a heavier RO, doing overnight DTs (I'm too lazy to do it w/ heat), or both. =( If the conditioner isn't going to soak in anyway, it seems almost a waste to use a nice, rich rinse-out.
    rainboe wrote: »
    What exactly is your routine? Have you tried plopping or scrunching with a t-shirt? That cuts down drying time a lot for me.
    I DO scrunch with a t-shirt. I used to plop a few years ago, but when I cut my hair short, it started giving me funky waves, so I got out of the habit. My hair's longer now but I never really got back into it. I suppose it's worth trying again!
    I would say if you hair is less puffy after you clarify, that might mean that you've removed build up that is making your hair puffy. Like, maybe you removed buildup that was preventing your conditioner from penetrating the hair shaft, so after you clarified the conditioner was really able to do it's job rather than just sitting on the hair and making it look icky.
    That may be. Either that, or maybe it's because baking soda is alkaline. That lifts up the cuticle, right? Maybe that allowed the conditioner to "do its job rather than just sitting on the hair and making it look icky." I'm... not sure.
    Also, I don't think most wavies brush their hair when it's dry. I don't, and if I did that would make my hair really undefined and messy looking.
    I guess I should clarify what I meant. I never brush my hair when I want to wear it wavy. I only brush my hair once the curls are finally messed up, on the third or fourth day after a wash. I get decent second day hair, and sometimes passable third day hair, but by day four, it's messy, so I put it in an updo. But to do that, I need to brush it thoroughly to get out the tangles. It's pretty hard to do french braids and stuff on tangly hair!
    Well I tried the new lo-poo! The verdict isn't out yet; I'll need to use it a few times first.

I also made some FSG again (haven't made that stuff in two years!) with a little honey for hold. I applied it to soaking wet hair after using a leave-in, then plopped, and although I got more curl definition than I've had lately, I also got no crunch at all. I like a little crunch to at least add a little more curl definition, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. My hair looks pretty good, but it's still got a slight greasy film on it, so I think I used too much leave-in (I used a nickel-sized amount for the ears down) which may be why the flaxseed gel had no crunch. Hmm.... I'll have to experiment.

Anyhow, it's definitely an improvement over the poofy mess I've had the past few months!

DSC02296-forum.JPG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file