Going back to WEN

CubanwavyCubanwavy Posts: 293Registered Users
Night before last I decided to co-wash with WEN Pomegranate and liked the results. The first morning after I spritzed my hair with 1 pump of the WEN mixed in an 8 oz spray bottle of water Before I even made it to the bathroom right out of bed, my granddaughter said she loved my hair. This am, I did the same water/WEN spritz, combed, scrunched and was very pleased. Waves seem tighter and curls are good. I know there is amodimethicone in the product, but it is not known to build up. I do plan a clarifying shampoo with WEN condition at least once a week though. Will let you know if anything changes.

Comments

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Go for it! I'm glad you found something you like. Amodimethicone is actually GREAT for some people's hair, so I'm not surprised it makes your hair look great! Just keep it up and make sure to clarify occasionally, like you said!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    I used to use WEN (well, Sally's Beauty Supply's version anyway). LOVED IT. Then last summer I started getting rashes on my forehead after showering. Then this past December, my scalp actually started burning. I looked more closely at the ingredients and saw wheat protein. I have celiac disease so wheat protein is a major no no for me to eat, but I never guess it would cause topical problems too! Was totally bummed because my hair REALLY liked it. My search for a new way to cleanse my hair led me to DevaCare products and my curly adventures began. So guess in the end, the scalp burning was a good thing. :tongue5:

So glad you can use it and that it works well for you! High five!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • CubanwavyCubanwavy Posts: 293Registered Users
    Thanks!
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    jakrussel3 wrote: »
    I used to use WEN (well, Sally's Beauty Supply's version anyway). LOVED IT. Then last summer I started getting rashes on my forehead after showering. Then this past December, my scalp actually started burning. I looked more closely at the ingredients and saw wheat protein. I have celiac disease so wheat protein is a major no no for me to eat, but I never guess it would cause topical problems too! Was totally bummed because my hair REALLY liked it. My search for a new way to cleanse my hair led me to DevaCare products and my curly adventures began. So guess in the end, the scalp burning was a good thing. :tongue5:

Just be careful because there are many Deva products that have wheat protein in them!
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
    Oh I know it. I have to use the DevaCare low poo because the no poo had wheat protein in it. The DevaCare One condition is ok though. I currently only use the low poo when I feel like I might have buildup, maybe twice per month. Their gels have wheat protein in it too. I didn't see it until after I bought it though. So far so good. I make sure it doesn't touch my scalp and I wash my hands right away after scrunching it in. With WEN, I was letting it sit on my hair/scalp for 3-5 minutes while I washed and shaved, etc. Ow!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Did a second WEN wash Thursday night and on Friday sprayed wet WEN pomegranate/water mix and scrunched. Pleased with waves and curls.

Saturday, sprayed hair wet with plain water, scrunched with t shirt, then sprayed the WEN/water mix. Waves are much more defined and I have a lot of ringlets on the ends. Hair is shiny too.

Looking forward to more improvement with WEN.
  • Angieg24Angieg24 Posts: 1Registered Users

I am new here, and I don't understand a lot of the "lingo", but I'm wondering what the Sally's brand of "Wen" is called... and I'm also wondering if topical problems to these types of hair care products are normal. I started using Deva Curl not long ago, and my forehead is a mess!
    Sally's version of WEN is Hair One. If you're allergic to any of the ingredients, then yeah, they'll cause problems if they touch your skin for any length of time. I wouldn't say it was "normal," but I'd say it wasn't uncommon. :)

Since wheat causes my problems, I just use DevaCurl's low poo. The No Poo had wheat in it. I heard the DevaCare version smelled better, so I use that instead of DevaCurl. Same company, just different scents I guess. The ArcAngel gel has wheat in it too, but I haven't had issues with it yet. Presumably because it's only on my hair, not my skin, and I wash my hands immediately after scrunching it in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oh and the Hair One runs about $12/bottle compared to $30 or whatever for Wen. I really liked Hair One. It was a good way for me to transition to not using shampoo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Shine and curls after 3rd WEN wash.
  • Iari78Iari78 Posts: 57Registered Users
    Then last summer I started getting rashes on my forehead after showering. Then this past December, my scalp actually started burning. I looked more closely at the ingredients and saw wheat protein. I have celiac disease so wheat protein is a major no no for me to eat, but I never guess it would cause topical problems too! Was totally bummed because my hair REALLY liked it. My search for a new way to cleanse my hair led me to DevaCare products and my curly adventures began. So guess in the end, the scalp burning was a good thing. :tongue5:

I am also allergic to wheat protein too, I can't eat it or touch it without getting sick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file