Three questions

Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
Ok number one:
Clumping. What is the best technique? I've tried super soaker, scrunch and pump, thought about ice queen but afraid to leave conditioner in my fine, thin hair, tried Smasters and nothing works for me. The only time I've gotten clumps is when I use sulfate shampoo. Also I brush my hair so I think that could be what causes my separate/stringy look (lack of clumps) but I can't not brush my hair.

Second question: volume/layers. So I have no volume what so ever. I was thinking maybe I should get some short layers on top to get volume but my first few inches of roots are pretty straight so I'm not sure if that would help or hurt.

Last question: hair twin. I know before someone gave a link to find your hair twin and I was just wondering what the link was even though I really don't think there is anyone here with hair as fine and thin as mine :(.

TIA everyone! You guys are the best :D

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair twin finder:happy8:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/90412-share-your-hair-biography.html

Volume- You could try drying upside down, clipping. I like massaging the roots in circles/shaking the hair. Try not to disturb the top layer. Some people find mousse works better for them. Dries my hair out, but some like it.

Clumps- My hair is hard to clump. Ecostyler is a magic clump maker. It has glycerin and wheat protein which are problems for some people. I can only use ecostyler in normal dews due to the glycerin. I use salon care-aloe version(sally's) in low dews. It works too, but not as well as magic clump maker ecostyler.
    Here is how I make clumps (modified super soaker):
    Finger comb leave in conditioner into hair (you could use very little). About 1/2 will be washed out, so plan accordingly. Lean to the sides and bring cupped handfuls of water to the roots of hair. The clumps should be formed. Scrunch out as much water by hand as possible. Scrunch in curl enhancer or gel (I used a mix of ecostyler and FSG). Scrunch out water.
    Plop. You could also press out water with a towel. I find scrunching ruins my clumps.
    The rest of my non clump related routine is to pixie difuse. I add some BRHG half way through ala smaster's method.

HTH
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Posts: 900Registered Users
    I personally like icequeen and super soaker and pump n scrunch, but brushing might be killing your clumps. Could you switch to only combing with a wide tooth comb?

As far as volume, it might help to get some long layers (like shoulder length or a little shorter, but not much if your hair takes a while from the root to wave.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • Touch.of.inkTouch.of.ink Posts: 297Registered Users
    Mimee03 wrote: »
    Also I brush my hair so I think that could be what causes my separate/stringy look (lack of clumps) but I can't not brush my hair.

I know what you mean. I *have* to brush my hair, or it just looks wet or greasy to me, even if I've already "Scrunched Out The Crunch" (SOTC) and there's no Crunch left!

I *was* able to switch to a wide tooth comb. (Not all wide tooth combs are the same. I have very fine and fragile hair, so I found the softest tooth wide tooth comb possible, and then bought one for work, one for the car, one for the shower, and one for my purse :))

So now, I do the whole routine. Scrunching and pumping and soaking and kind of plopping, drying, SOTC, etc.But after my hair is dry, I comb it with the soft wide tooth comb. Then, I use a product to put the curls back in :)

What product? It depends on the day, my hair etc, but here are my three favorites.

Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG)
    Or
    Jonathan Product "Dirt"
    Or
    Jonathan Masters Organics "Sea Mist" Sea Spray with Lavender

I (gently, gently) scrunch one of these in to refresh the curls that I just brushed out. Hair is combed, curls are back, and no wet/producty looking hair :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair: Very fine, normal porous (Finally! Yay!), normal elasticity, loves high dew points.
    Daily: Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo, GVP CB, Cure Care conditioner, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls products, Spiral Solutions products.
    Monthly: Henna
    As needed: John Masters Organics Sea Mist
    HG Product: BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee (aka BRHG. It even has HG in the name!)
    Last perm: 12/10/10
    CG since: 3/9/12
    Last haircut: 4/17/12
    Gossamer Fringe (my blog)
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Posts: 138Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you have to brush/comb your hair, I'd think the supersoaker method would have the best chance of promoting clumps. Though anytime I do it, I end up with beach waves that are not very clump-y (though surprisingly frizz free!). I have pretty weak waves though.

Have you tried combing/brushing your hair when it's wet (and has conditioner in it) in the shower? It usually gets out tangles pretty well. Though I guess it depends on why you need to brush your hair...

My hairstylist layered my hair so that I have short layers to supposedly make my hair less "heavy" so it'd curl better. The short layers don't wave at all because my hair doesn't wave unless it's a certain length. Now I have awkward straight short pieces. :-| So be wary of anything that isn't long layers!
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I do the modified super soaker just like Pedaheh. I have tried every which way for clumps, and that provides the best clumps for me. However, if I took a brush to my hair, I would have a massive bush of frizz with no clumps and no definition what-so-ever. May I ask why you need to brush?
  • Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
    Sorry I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I only brush my hair when wet. I wash my hair in the shower then I brush my hair with either my detangler in it or my curl creme. Then after brushing, I apply all of my products by scrunching. Hope that makes sense. Not sure why I can't get over having to brush my hair :( I guess I kind of have to to get a part.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    Ah, ok. I see. Combing out of the shower on wet hair will break up clumps. However, if you do the super soaker after you comb it should re-clump. I part my hair and comb in the shower with condish in it. After that I only finger comb when super soaking if I have stray strands.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Hair twin finder:happy8:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/90412-share-your-hair-biography.html

Volume- You could try drying upside down, clipping. I like massaging the roots in circles/shaking the hair. Try not to disturb the top layer. Some people find mousse works better for them. Dries my hair out, but some like it.

Clumps- My hair is hard to clump. Ecostyler is a magic clump maker. It has glycerin and wheat protein which are problems for some people. I can only use ecostyler in normal dews due to the glycerin. I use salon care-aloe version(sally's) in low dews. It works too, but not as well as magic clump maker ecostyler.
    Here is how I make clumps (modified super soaker):
    Finger comb leave in conditioner into hair (you could use very little). About 1/2 will be washed out, so plan accordingly. Lean to the sides and bring cupped handfuls of water to the roots of hair. The clumps should be formed. Scrunch out as much water by hand as possible. Scrunch in curl enhancer or gel (I used a mix of ecostyler and FSG). Scrunch out water.
    Plop. You could also press out water with a towel. I find scrunching ruins my clumps.
    The rest of my non clump related routine is to pixie difuse. I add some BRHG half way through ala smaster's method.

HTH

Thanks so much for the link. I've tried clipping and the clips are too heavy for my hair :(. I might have to try mousse. I will definitely try your modified super soaker! If all else fails with what I have I will definitely try the ecostyler also. Thanks :)
    Mimee03 wrote: »
    Also I brush my hair so I think that could be what causes my separate/stringy look (lack of clumps) but I can't not brush my hair.

I know what you mean. I *have* to brush my hair, or it just looks wet or greasy to me, even if I've already "Scrunched Out The Crunch" (SOTC) and there's no Crunch left!

I *was* able to switch to a wide tooth comb. (Not all wide tooth combs are the same. I have very fine and fragile hair, so I found the softest tooth wide tooth comb possible, and then bought one for work, one for the car, one for the shower, and one for my purse :))

So now, I do the whole routine. Scrunching and pumping and soaking and kind of plopping, drying, SOTC, etc.But after my hair is dry, I comb it with the soft wide tooth comb. Then, I use a product to put the curls back in :)

What product? It depends on the day, my hair etc, but here are my three favorites.

Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG)
    Or
    Jonathan Product "Dirt"
    Or
    Jonathan Masters Organics "Sea Mist" Sea Spray with Lavender

I (gently, gently) scrunch one of these in to refresh the curls that I just brushed out. Hair is combed, curls are back, and no wet/producty looking hair :)

Where did you buy a soft wide tooth comb? I would totally buy one. Also where do you buy the sea spray with lavender? I think my hair would love that.
    If you have to brush/comb your hair, I'd think the supersoaker method would have the best chance of promoting clumps. Though anytime I do it, I end up with beach waves that are not very clump-y (though surprisingly frizz free!). I have pretty weak waves though.

Have you tried combing/brushing your hair when it's wet (and has conditioner in it) in the shower? It usually gets out tangles pretty well. Though I guess it depends on why you need to brush your hair...

My hairstylist layered my hair so that I have short layers to supposedly make my hair less "heavy" so it'd curl better. The short layers don't wave at all because my hair doesn't wave unless it's a certain length. Now I have awkward straight short pieces. :-| So be wary of anything that isn't long layers!

Thanks about the layers! I have longer layers already but I thought shorter ones might give me more body. My roots are pretty straight though so I'm thinking I would have the same problem you are describing. Boo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file