DIY hairstylists-When do you cut your hair?

pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I find I only cut my hair at 11pm. Just before I go to bed:brushteeth:, I look in the mirror and decide it can't wait one more minute and must be cut NOW! Anyone else have this bad habit?
http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
Cowash: Tresemme naturals
Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
Curl enhancer: FSG
Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I find I only cut my hair at 11pm. Just before I go to bed:brushteeth:, I look in the mirror and decide it can't wait one more minute and must be cut NOW! Anyone else have this bad habit?

Yes.
    And every time I keep telling myself - next time I will not ever cut my hair when I am:
    Tired
    My hair is too crunchy or styled "too much"
    In a seriously bad mood
    Having a crappy hair week (usually weather related)
    Rushed
    Annoyed
    Have not planned exactly what to do
    Haven't got time/desire to clean up the hair fallout
    Can't sleep
    It's a much longer list than that. I actually keep notes for the next haircut too.

I'm visiting a town in summer where there is a very well-rated curly salon and I am so tempted to dive in and shell out too much cash to let somebody else do it. Must not give in! It's stinkin' hard to do the back by yourself! :?
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad it isn't just me. I'm always tired and bleary eyed cutting my hair. Seems the only appointment time available is just before I go to bed, but I can get in the day I decide I need a haircut. And, yes, the back is really hard to cut. It is a good thing I can't see it to notice the slightly off parts. I've had people ask me how the "stylist" cuts the back of my hair, so I guess I'm not doing that badly.
    I can't go to a stylist until I decide to stop growing out my hair. This haircut I cut off about 4 teaspoons of hair total. Last hair cut I trimmed of a scant 1/4 inch off the ends. Try getting a stylist to do either of those things. If any more was cut off my slow growing hair, I wouldn't grow any length.
    Since you aren't trying to grow it, you could try a stylist. Worst case scenario you are out the $$$ and have to recut to a shorter length. I suspect you wouldn't be happy enough with a pro cut to justify the expense. But then again, if you tried, then you would know. How's that for taking both sides of the issue?

ETA: To add to your list, don't decide to do a new style in February/March. It may be that you just have cabin fever and don't want the shorter and/or edgy haircut.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    A fellow fence rider! I'm always stuck in the middle on things like that too - what if it's a life-changing "girly" moment (or at least, a really super haircut)? What if it's wasted money and I have to go fix the haircut? Who else knows this hair so well?

Did you save the 4 tsp. hair? You never know when a "spell" might call for 4 tsp of "hair of Pedaheh..."
    DIY stylists are always open on evenings and weekends! Prices are reasonable, never crowded.
    OMG, I way DYING to cut my hair in February (and it was not even really cold and snowy here) and I made myself wait until March. Late on March 1 I gave myself a really crappy haircut. I should not have waited... Or should have waited longer. Ay yi yi.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are cracking me up tonight.
    4 tsp of Pedaheh hair spell
  • hollytielhollytiel Posts: 11Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i cut my own too, have for 6 years now. And, you're right... it's always at like 11pm, on a whim.

My hair is just past shoulder length now; it's getting about time for a trim.
    And then there was a cloud of dust as hollytiel dashed to the mirror with scissors in hand...
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I have this habit of picking apart my 2nd or 3rd day hair in search of split or damaged ends instead of a full blown cut. It's really long now, mid back length when wavy (almost waist length when pulled straight). I can't just do another "layer clean-up" though, so I have been putting it off. It's really hard for me to cut the perimeter evenly! I asked my husband's help once, and it turns out he can't cut a straight line to save his life. I ended up 2 inches shorter than I planned in an effort to correct it. LOL.
    But it's better than fighting with a know it all stylist!
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Funny, I was reading this thread at 10:30, so I thought I should wait till 11 to cut my hair, but
    I went to bed before I got to it. Just as well, I'd rather it grew out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file