ugh i'm so upset! please help

sfaithjsfaithj Posts: 106Registered Users
I have 2a waves. I brought in references for a new stylist who supposedly knows curly hair. I showed him the references and he said if I wanted them, I'd have to flat iron my hair. I told him my hair gets straight when you cut it short. He didn't believe me. He razored my hair and low and behold, without product it's pretty darn straight. I'm so upset because I wanted those other references and I knew I would be able to rock them without a straightener. We re-booked for an adjustment but he was baffled at what I had to say.

Am I totally alone in this or does your hair get pretty straight when you cut it short or razor it?
2a wavy. acv is my friend. flax gelee weighs down my hair too much.

cleansers: giovanni, curls
conditioner: curls
styling: LA Looks sports gel

Comments

• WavyWendaWavyWenda Posts: 29Registered Users
    My hair get straight when cut too short as well. Also, the razor is EVIL. Hairdressers always want to use it, but it makes my hair look terrible!

But, as my Mom always said, "Hair grows!"
  • sfaithjsfaithj Posts: 106Registered Users
    WavyWenda wrote: »
    My hair get straight when cut too short as well. Also, the razor is EVIL. Hairdressers always want to use it, but it makes my hair look terrible!

But, as my Mom always said, "Hair grows!"

So I'm not totally delusional in thinking my hair gets straight when cut short. The stylist told me, "If your hair is getting straight, your hair is defying the laws of curly hair". FTW, my hair is WAVY not curly.

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The razor is EVIL for me too. Makes split ends in my hair like nobody's business. Sorry about your bad experience. I hope it isn't to tough to grow out.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    WHY do they DO this??

One of innumerable reasons why I've been doing my own hair for so long... A stylist destroyed my hair with a razor when I was 12 years old, and decades later, every time I went in for a cut/trim, somebody would grab a razor.

My shortest hairs curl under when they're hacked too much, so I get a sort of mushroom-shaped poof that looks like Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber, but with an '80s perm.

Bad. Bad. Bad.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
    WHY do they DO this??

One of innumerable reasons why I've been doing my own hair for so long... A stylist destroyed my hair with a razor when I was 12 years old, and decades later, every time I went in for a cut/trim, somebody would grab a razor.

My shortest hairs curl under when they're hacked too much, so I get a sort of mushroom-shaped poof that looks like Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber, but with an '80s perm.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

This stylist has curly hair cut training from Bumble and Bumble so he probably thinks he knows how to cut wavy and curly hair. Anyway, I have an appt with him this Thurs to fix (hopefully).

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the OJ Simpson trial...?

At the time the Prosecutor, Marcia Clark, got an internationally famous haircut , and word on the street was that she got it done at Allen Edwards. I was starting a brand new job, and I really wanted to look Professional, so I decided I would try Allen Edwards Salon. The stylist "analyzed" my face shape, and along with choosing a style, decided to do a "glaze" on my hair for depth. After dumping $300.00 (plus tips for hair-washer, hair-toweler, neck-massager, etc.) on a stylist who was an "expert" with curly hair, I walked out of the place looking like Marcia in the "before" pictures. Seriously.

It was disappointing, at best. Literally, people on the street made comments and jokes. I went back twice to have my hair "fixed", but it was a disaster for months.

Make sure you force the stylist to listen to you. When you say, "My hair curls up a lot when it's short," or, "My hair gets straight when it's short", don't let him/her tell you how your hair behaves.

btw - Marcia Clark's hair was pretty, and I still like it better in her curly style than that straight harsh cut she got. With my cut, and overly darkened hair, it was all about the timing.
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
    I don't know if you're old enough to remember the OJ Simpson trial...?

At the time the Prosecutor, Marcia Clark, got an internationally famous haircut , and word on the street was that she got it done at Allen Edwards. I was starting a brand new job, and I really wanted to look Professional, so I decided I would try Allen Edwards Salon. The stylist "analyzed" my face shape, and along with choosing a style, decided to to a "rinse" on my hair for depth. After dumping $300.00 (plus tips for hair-washer, hair-toweler, neck-massager, etc.) on a stylist who was an "expert" with curly hair, I walked out of the place looking like Marcia in the "before" pictures. Seriously.

It was disappointing, at best. Literally, people on the street made comments and jokes. I went back twice to have my hair "fixed", but it was a disaster for months.

Make sure you force the stylist to listen to you. When you say, "My hair curls up a lot when it's short," or, "My hair gets straight when it's short", don't let him/her tell you how your hair behaves.

btw - Marcia Clark's hair was pretty, and I still like it better in her curly style than that straight harsh cut she got. With my cut, and overly darkened hair, it was all about the timing.

Thanks. I'm gonna wash my hair, not use product and show the stylist how straight my hair actually is after this short cut. Hopefully, he'll get it.

Good luck!:happy5:

Your hair will probably start to perk-up after it's washed.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I think that was a really obnoxious and unprofessional thing of your stylist to do. I hope he can really help fix his mistake!!! I think my hair gets straighter when it's shorter too. My waves don't start for a few inches from my scalp so I think it needs some length for them to show up. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wav:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
    Good luck!:happy5:

Your hair will probably start to perk-up after it's washed.

I've already washed it. Dries straight and flat against my head.

I think that was a really obnoxious and unprofessional thing of your stylist to do. I hope he can really help fix his mistake!!! I think my hair gets straighter when it's shorter too. My waves don't start for a few inches from my scalp so I think it needs some length for them to show up. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wav:

Thanks. I hope he can still give me a style that I'll like.

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wanted to share this: science-y hair blog: More Wavy Physics
    Because it has a lot to do with why some wavy hair is straighter when short. Stylists don't necessarily study "wavy hair" or anything like that, so they may not even be looking at your hair as "wavy." Maybe seeing the wave an an obstacle to work around. If your very fine, soft hair (weighed down by FSG!?) has waves that are 3 inches apart, then if your hair is 3 inches long in some places, it's not going to "wave," especially if the ends have been fractured with a razor. Razors play "crack the whip" with the rest of the hair.
    You need a bit more than half a wave to get a "flip" on the ends. You need enough length in all layers for the waves to be able to do a couple crests so that the wave can reveal itself. And a stylist may not be accustomed to super-soft, fine hair which a person actually wants to wear wavy.

Your hair will be growing back, so that's good news. If you have pics, make a good study of your hair and how far apart the waves are (like hippiechic wrote - where do they start?) because you need enough length for another wave or 2 in there to avoid straight-looking hair.

Nothing like a bad haircut to make you very aware of what actually does work for your hair - maybe that's the silver lining?
    What a great article! Thanks.:)
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Because it has a lot to do with why some wavy hair is straighter when short. Stylists don't necessarily study "wavy hair" or anything like that, so they may not even be looking at your hair as "wavy." Maybe seeing the wave an an obstacle to work around. If your very fine, soft hair (weighed down by FSG!?) has waves that are 3 inches apart, then if your hair is 3 inches long in some places, it's not going to "wave," especially if the ends have been fractured with a razor. Razors play "crack the whip" with the rest of the hair.
    You need a bit more than half a wave to get a "flip" on the ends. You need enough length in all layers for the waves to be able to do a couple crests so that the wave can reveal itself. And a stylist may not be accustomed to super-soft, fine hair which a person actually wants to wear wavy.

Your hair will be growing back, so that's good news. If you have pics, make a good study of your hair and how far apart the waves are (like hippiechic wrote - where do they start?) because you need enough length for another wave or 2 in there to avoid straight-looking hair.

Nothing like a bad haircut to make you very aware of what actually does work for your hair - maybe that's the silver lining?

Thank you so much!!! I agree that most stylists don't understand the difference between wavy and curly hair. He kept on calling my hair "curly". I tried to correct him a few times to tell him that it's wavy, not curly.

Anyway, I'm attaching a photo of the cut today. The cut is actually growing on me.

what do you mean re: razors play "crack the whip" with the rest of the hair? Thanks!

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's pretty common for waves to disappear without enough length to form an "S" shape.

Mine do.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    The last time I went to a salon, I know I sounded like a total B, but I knew what I wanted and I wasn't going to pay for anything less. Anytime I saw her holding a layer up too high, I spoke up. When she wanted to blend more, I spoke up. When she kept insisting I let her straighten it, I spoke up.
    The stylist doesn't have to live with the cut, you do. Stand up for your hair!
  • bluebonnetbluebonnet Posts: 82Registered Users
    I hate hate hate razor cuts. Horrid for me. Took me 3 years to recover from the one I had. Also hate cutting up into the hair so each cluster has a bunch of different lengths at the end, if you kwim. I feel you and have had the same thing happen to me more than once. So frustrating!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG 4/13/2012
    med-coarse texture/med density/low porosity
    (2c/3a)
    Clarifying: TJ TTT shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 clarifying kiwi lime, Suave daily clarifying
    RO: SN or Tresemme naturals, TJ TTT
    LI: SN or VO5
    Styling: Gels - HESMU, AAV; John Frieda & HETT mousse; TIGI Curl Booster, FX Curl Booster * Fan of plopping & diffusing
    Crack the whip - when you and a bunch of other people grab hands and one person on one end runs like mad, changing directions and the person at the other end tries to stay still (like a whip) and the whole string of people goes for a crazy, dizzy ride. Razors mess up waves from the bottom end, so they can't "fall" right.

I believe wavy hair IS curly, but it has to be treated differently than straight hair and quite curly hair. There really should be a chapter (or 6) in beauty school textbooks on texture! The curls in wavy hair may have less 3-dimensionality and are farther apart, but they do not hang straight and certainly won't grow out that way. Your new cut looks pretty darn wavy, to me. A bit on the short side for your hair's wave pattern and for your face (we have very similar face shapes). It should grow out well. I'm not seeing "straight and flat." Not by a long shot.

If it helps, I chopped a big shelf/hole in the back of my hair last month and it will be another month or 2 before I can fix it.:toothy6: I'm just taking it as a "what DOES NOT work with my hair" lesson. Husband says it doesn't show. I swear, it does! He's probably right...
    I also think your hair looks good now and should grow out nicely. Definitely looks wavy and not straight.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm hoping that's her hair and not one of the photos she took in with her............

IA, how did this shelf chopping occur? I love a good "and then I just went at it with a scissors/nail clippers/carving knife" story.
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I'm hoping that's her hair and not one of the photos she took in with her............

IA, how did this shelf chopping occur? I love a good "and then I just went at it with a scissors/nail clippers/carving knife" story.

Rusty knife and a bottle of whiskey. How's that? Boring truth: I cut styled hair and snipped a lovely, clumpy curl too short and it shrank even more once washed. We just all need to get together to cut each other's hair. Then we'd all have perfect wavy haircuts.
    Not to hijack sfaithj's thread. Back to your scheduled program...
    thanks everyone. to answer everyone's questions....

I did stick up for myself. I told the stylist that in my experience, my hair gets straight when you cut it short. He didn't think that was the case with my hair and, me, thinking he's "the expert", I believed him. I was also surprised when he pulled out the razor to cut my hair. Now I know that the razor is *bad bad bad* for my hair. Totally changed it's texture. My natural hair is fine and wavy. Now my hair is very thick, thanks for the razor.

The photo is my cut. As for references, I brought in a lot of reference but they were women with short straight cuts. I thought we could adapt those cuts to my hair texture. Stylist didn't think so.

I'm def going to a different stylist next time. I want a short cut next time but not a cut like this.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Rusty knife and a bottle of whiskey. How's that?
    LOL
    I think the cut looks very pretty - and I don't think it would ever be perceived as "straight" by anyone but those of us who worry about things like "Is it sidewalk chalk or sharpie?"

Your hair also looks like it's full of body, and shine. I'll bet that in two weeks it's going to snap right back into swirls, and it will be a really fun cut!
  • savannahmsavannahm Posts: 38Registered Users
    I love the pic of your hair, it's awesome!!!! Sorry if you don't like it, I don't mean to irritate. I know what it's like to not like what they did because you asked for something totally different. but it's super cute in the pic you show.

Sav
    I think the cut looks very pretty - and I don't think it would ever be perceived as "straight" by anyone but those of us who worry about things like "Is it sidewalk chalk or sharpie?"

Your hair also looks like it's full of body, and shine. I'll bet that in two weeks it's going to snap right back into swirls, and it will be a really fun cut!

Thanks for your comment. My new haircut actually dries flat and straight on my head but sleeping in wet hair makes it wavy again. I hope in a few weeks, I'll get more curls back. :-)

savannahm wrote: »
    I love the pic of your hair, it's awesome!!!! Sorry if you don't like it, I don't mean to irritate. I know what it's like to not like what they did because you asked for something totally different. but it's super cute in the pic you show.

Sav

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback. :-)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and helpful comments. Next time, I'll tell my stylist, "no razor!" and bring in CURLY (or wavy) short hair references, not straight short hair references. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file