CG since Feb., what am I doing wrong?

curlyinnycurlyinny Registered Users Posts: 4
Here is what I am currently doing:

co-wash: suave tropical coconut
condish: deva one condition
Leave in: KCKT
Style: KCCC

I have ok hair on the first day, no shot at getting 2nd day hair.. and my hair is still usually frizzy? I want those shiny beautiful curls. any advice on what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!

I'm going to move you over to the shampoo-free forum, where you'll get lots of help!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome! I know there's a ton of info to sort through. I'm going to apologize for the length of my reply and also if I say stuff that you already know. I would rather give you more info than less.

The biggest challenge with CG is that it involves a lot of trial and error. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. I recommend keeping a hair journal as you try different products and techniques to get an idea of what works for you and what doesn't. Also, if you haven't already, you should figure out your hair properties (texture, porosity, etc). Livecurlylivefree.com has tons of info on figuring these out. Hair properties will give you a good starting point when it comes to choosing products.

Looking at your current products, I have two possible suggestions that might help. First, KCKT is an awesome detangler but doesn't offer much in terms of moisture. Have you tried using some of your One Condition as a leave-in? One possible cause of frizz is not enough moisture. If that's the case for you, this might give you better results. Second, you might want to try a harder hold gel (and always make sure your hair is completely dry before you touch it- I have ruined plenty of would-be awesome hair days by scrunching out the gel cast too soon). I think KCCC is more of a medium hold gel. Something like LA Looks Sports gel might help you get better curl definition and less frizz.

Also, I don't know what the texture of your hair is, but if it's fine (or on the fine side of medium), you might want to try adding some additional protein into your routine (I know Suave Coconut does have some protein).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • curlyinnycurlyinny Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice, I think maybe I am scrunching out the gel cast too soon. today I waited longer like you said, and it does look better. I want to try and make my hair more like, shiny looking I guess? I just see the before and after photos of some people and everyone's hair looks so shiny.

Also, about leaving the deva in my hair. I was doing that.. however it didnt make much of a difference from that to the KCKT... I was thinking maybe of trying a different/stronger leave in... any recommendations? I had my eye on the curl junkie stuff...
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I like Curl Junkie products. But if you don't notice a difference between using KCKT vs One C it might not be a moisture thing either. I normally just use some Tresemme Naturals or Cure Care for my LI. I still want something light because I have fine hair. Maybe try the protein? I'm glad you were able to get some improvement today. I know the back of my hair can take forever to dry and I get so impatient in the meantime.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • unicyclistunicyclist Registered Users Posts: 181
    curlyinny wrote: »
    Here is what I am currently doing:

co-wash: suave tropical coconut
    condish: deva one condition
    Leave in: KCKT
    Style: KCCC

I have ok hair on the first day, no shot at getting 2nd day hair.. and my hair is still usually frizzy? I want those shiny beautiful curls. any advice on what I am doing wrong?

Maybe you're over conditioned? I would try clarifying with a sulfate-free shampoo or an apple cider vinegar rinse.
    Routine
    Weekly Shampoo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean + Coconut Oil
    Co-wash/RO: Cure Care Skin & Hair Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Techniques
    • combing to detangle and separate curls
    • scrunch 'n pump!
    • t-shirt turban
    Hair :love1: coconut oil and protein
    Hair :angry7: silicones, sulfates, glycerin, synthetic ingredients

2c/C/ii/low porosity. Growing out!