New to CG and not diggin' it, help?

lynleylynley Registered Users Posts: 6
I've been lurking around for a while and I've gone through over 50 pages of the before and after thread (started at the beginning). It convinced me I *must* go CG. I bought and read the book and since Massey seems to be the forerunning expert in curlies I bought the Deva line of products. No-poo, One Condish, AnGel, and Set it Free.

I hate it all :(

I've been doing this for about 10-11 days. I NoPoo about every other day, Use the condish everyday, I've tried rinsing and leaving some in. I've tried plopping, not plopping, wide-tooth comb, no comb... I use a t-shirt to dry my hair, I scrunch. It feels great when I first get the gel in and scrunch and my hair might have better definition but no volume, and by mid day it's a frizzy drab mess. I am sooo disappointed. I spent a lot of money and I want the curls in the photos!

My hair is very fine and thin. I'm guessing 3a, probably low-normal porosity, I do color (wwaayyyy too much gray!) but I have used a diffuser forever to blow dry and only blow dry about 3 times per week. My next step is going to be to try a protein treatment.

ANY help you wonderful ladies can offer is very appreciated!
I've attached some photos in case anyone wants to see my hair, all pre-CG. I will take a new one if it might help anyone offer advice! I also want to figure this out as I'm raising a tiny curly girlie and don't want her to struggle like I have.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome!! I know that when you're just getting started it's a ton of information to try to absorb. I used Deva products for about two years- ironically, it was before I heard of CG- since I started (now modified) CG in November, I really haven't gone back to the Deva products. That's not to say that there aren't people who get great results with these products, but the opinions are very mixed.

I think the protein treatment is definitely a good idea. Fine hair usually really likes protein- I do a full protein treatment once a week (IAGirl posted a recipe for a homemade PT on the 2's forum that works really well), plus I use a protein-heavy conditioner another one or two days during the week. Most people get better results when they follow protein with moisture.

My other suggestion would be to try a harder hold gel. Deva has another gel called ArcAngel which has much more hold than AnGel (if you want to stick with Deva products). You can also get great results with several drugstore brands: LA Looks Sports Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze, Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (actually, you can mix a very small amount of the Biosilk into a lighter hold gel, so you could mix it with the AnGel so you don't feel like you wasted all the money on a product that might not work).

I found that I get better results if I put my hair straight into a plop after I add my products- too much t-shirt scrunching makes my curls stringier, which in turn makes them more prone to frizz. And I'm sure you've read this before, but make sure you don't touch your hair until it's completely dry. I can't tell you how many times I ruined what was looking to be an awesome hair day by scrunching out the gel cast too soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • lynleylynley Registered Users Posts: 6
    Yes! Corrina, I will listen to anything you say! I want your hair! :)

Thank you so much. I will do a protein treatment and mix some cheap gel in with my AnGel. The funny thing is that I used Aussie in high school and college. As I got older I used more and more expensive product ending with Aveda, which has cones and sulfates (even in the Be Curly product). Should have stuck with the cheap stuff. :) I really appreciate your suggestions.
    First, thank you so much! It looks like you are going to have some amazing ringlets once you find the right routine.

I was the same way with the hair products. When I found this site I couldn't believe that so many people were raving about Suave and LA Looks. I still ended up ultimately adding in some more expensive products, but I'm surprised sometimes at how many non-salon/online brands I use and love.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • lynleylynley Registered Users Posts: 6
    Corrina,
    You are so sweet- I see you helping people all over this thread and website! I think they protein was the trick. I ordered the protein treatment from Spiral Solutions (I did a VO5 hot oil that I got in the store while I was waiting for it to get here, which really didn't do anything). I got my hair colored and took my No Poo and One Condition with me and my stylist used that to wash and condition my hair. The protein treatment had arrived that day so when I got home I used it. I know using a PT after coloring can strip color but I was dying to try it... so close to falling off the wagon.
    I dont' quite have the awesome curls in the before/after thread but my hair has never looked this good after a color! I think a lot of it was that my stylist didn't use that lather-y shampoo, but I think the protein helped too! My stylist loved that I was using more natural products and said my hair was in really good shape. Even after the color it wasn't all tangled. My hubby said yesterday my hair looks curlier.

I might be getting there after all! I wish the magic formula for my hair would just appear to me! LOL. I'm not a fan of all this trial and error but I'm excited about the possibilities. Thanks again for your help!!!!!
    The moment that you can notice a difference is awesome! It starts to make the trial and error worth it. I understand completely how tiring it can be- I'm still going through a lot of trial and error myself, especially heading into my first summer doing modified CG.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file