where to find Coconut oil?

mayramayra Registered Users Posts: 13
I've been looking like crazy but I can't find coconut oil to buy.
Where do you get yours? Is it liquid or solid? If it's solid, how do you use it?

Gosh, I'm about to fall off the CG wagon. My hair is not shiny at all. I don't know what to do. I find myself day dreaming about silicone products...
Help!

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    the vitamin shoppe or whole foods...it's solid at room temp but melts easily into the hands. experiment to find the right amount. lots of folks mix it with stuff....here's a link i posted in another forum about coconut oil

http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=96340
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I get mine at Whole Foods. It comes in a glass jar and is solid at room temp. It was with the other cooking oils.

I transfer a small amount from the jar to one of those small Tupperware containers used to hold small amounts of salad dressing and such. If I need a tiny amount, I just rub it in my hands and it liquifies easily. If I am using more, I place the Tupperware container into a cup of hot water to melt down the oil.

I use it for extra moisture on my ends, and I also use it a a "glaze" to get second day hair.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • mayramayra Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thank you!!
    There is hope!! hehe
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    If you don't happen to have a health food type store nearby, walmart sells a big tub of refined (doesen't smell like coconuts) coconut oil for about $3 in the baking aisle. HTH!
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    I also found some coconut oil at Bloom. I don't use it, but I saw it when I was there getting groceries last week.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • mayramayra Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thank you guys!
    I found it. And what a difference it makes! I do need to play around with it a bit because it made my hair a little too oily, but I feel I'm on the right track.

Mayra
  • tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    You might want to try Coconut Milk as an alternative. It's great as a DT and can be found in just about every supermarket.
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Teela- I am going to Walmart to get that as my hair just loves coconut oil. Thanks. Is it refined? I heard refined is better for the hair.

Another place you can get coconut oil would be a local E. Indian grocery store whether it be the hair oil type, or the baking. It depends on what type exactly you are looking for.

Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
    RedheadCurly
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    I second the E. Indian coconut hair oil, like one called Parachute, it is mixed with other herbs that are suposse to be good for hair.
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    Teela- I am going to Walmart to get that as my hair just loves coconut oil. Thanks. Is it refined? I heard refined is better for the hair.

Another place you can get coconut oil would be a local E. Indian grocery store whether it be the hair oil type, or the baking. It depends on what type exactly you are looking for.

Red

The brand is LouAna and it is refined. It's with all the other oils (olive, safflower) in a cylender shaped jar, white plastic with a green lid. It always takes me forever to find for some reason. Oh, and I think there's a picture of a shrimp or something on it.

I actually like the unrefined best for my hair because it smells like coconuts, but this is so much cheaper that I keep some of it around too. If you get bored, melt some down and mix in some brown sugar for a scrub, best thing ever for dry winter skin :)
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • EnchantedCurlsEnchantedCurls Registered Users Posts: 7
    Bought a 7 fl. oz. jar of NOW brand 100% pure coconut oil at a local health food store. It was less than $5 and works great. I've used it on my hair while it's still damp and when it's dry. It's a solid, white oil. Put a little on your fingertips and rub them together. It will turn into a nice liquid oil! You just have to experiment to see how much your hair needs.

I've gotta try the coconut milk method now! Thanks for the suggestion.

Melissa
    3a, thick, medium length w/hi- and low-lights

From there to here, from here to there,
    funny things are everywhere.
    - Dr. Seuss
  • JustineHHJustineHH Registered Users Posts: 15
    If you search in the Indian food sections online, you should be able to find it for cooking. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file