How often to brush? What to do at night?

kak83kak83 Posts: 2Registered Users
Hello! I am new here! I have a 7 yr old daughter with 3c/4a hair. If i brush every other day, is that too often? Her hair seems to curl up pretty tight if I let it go too long. Also, I wanted to know what everyone else does at night to prevent tangling and matting. I keep hearing about a silk pillow case, but does that still cause tangling?
Thanks
Kerry

Comments

• SwirlySkaiSwirlySkai Posts: 40Registered Users
    Keep it braided at night, and try cute cornrows with beads!!! I loved that when I was little. Also let her wear wash n go n twist it at night :)
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    I wouldn't recommend brushing her hair--frizz city! Also I can see that leading to breakage.

Do you handle her hair when it is completely dry? Well, don't! Lol. Instead, on wash days (maybe once a week, maybe a couple of times a week), try detangling her hair with a wide tooth comb when her hair is wet and saturated with conditioner. (There are other ways of doing it also, e.g. on damp hair with oil or damp hair with conditioner, etc...try new things, but chances are it isn't a great idea to do her hair when completely dry.)

You could also braid or twist her hair up at night like SwirlySkai recommended, and in the morning, let her hair down. (This does help reduce tangling.) Or if you don't want to touch her hair for a while, you could also try various braid or twist styles...it does take a while to learn them if you are not great at them (I am not...), but once you get the hang of it, you don't have to deal with the hair for a while.

Some websites with kid-appropriate hairstyles:

Beads, Braids and Beyond
    Cherish My Daughter
    GirlsLoveYourCurls - YouTube

A silk pillowcase will help with dryness...but I don't necessarily think it will reduce tangling.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file