We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

This Hairdresser done said...

LaCurlyMariposaLaCurlyMariposa Posts: 36Registered Users
A friend (we'll call her Dee) and I was visiting another friend's home (We'll call this friend Sara) for the weekend for a break from campus. Dee and Sara wanted to go see Sara's personal stylist so they both could get their hair colored. I didn't want to participate because A) I don't know this lady and her capabilities and B) I'm a broke college student. I was also kind of nervous to go because the last time I saw ANY salon was about 2 years ago when I started to transition from relaxed to natural. Both my friends have relaxers and I'm mostly natural now with 2inches of relaxed ends left. (Cutting it in April!) I was expecting there to be a comment on my hair at some point.

When Dee sat in the chair, Sassy the Hairdresser looked over at me and said, "Sara here told me that you were goin natural. Why'd you decide to do that?" Here I thought it was going to be an innocent conversation. So I basically told her I didn't like the process, it wasn't for me, and I wanted to try something different. Then she kind of interrupts me and goes, "A lot of people who go natural believe it's healthier when it's not. It's actually dirtier. Natural hair is dirtier because the dirt gets caught easily in the hair"

I was dumbfounded and confused. I responded, "I wash my hair like twice a week, what do you mean it's dirtier?" Then she goes on to say something like, "The way natural hair is - like there are holes in the shaft where dirt can get caught and make the hair brittle and break off." I definitely gave her the side eye and ignored any other "explanation" she offered after that. All I could think was oh lawd, this heffa done told me my hair is dirty. This doesn't make any sense to me -- it's crazy right?

Sara and Dee looked at me expectantly because I'm known to shoot off at the mouth, but I decided against it because if she already believes that nonsense and she's a *hopefully* licensed cosmetologist, there is nothing I can say to make her change her mind. She's just gonna keep thinking she's right because she went to school for it or something.

Where does this "natural hair = dirty" nonsense come from?

Last Relaxer: Aug 2010
BC: April 2012

Staple Products: (Anything Shea Moisture) African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo, Organix Coconut Milk and Cherry Blossom conditioners, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk/ Curl Enhancing Smoothie/ Curling Souffle.:blob7:

It's fine. It's divine. It's all mine
PicsArt_1341336527255-1.jpg

Comments

• aprilj90aprilj90 Posts: 17Registered Users
    I applaud you cause I would have told the heffa about herself... SMH
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Scare tactic. Hell her dumb a$$ prolly actually believes it. Natural hair isn't excessively porous, broken down processed hair is. PLUS you got relaxed sistas that don't wash their own hair AT ALL!! So where does she get off?

It's people like this that go around spreading ig'nance that keep things forever the same. Just wrong. I think in my old days I would have violently enlightened her, but nowadays, I probably would have just left them there with that joker and caught up to them later.

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,748Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love this hair dresser, she is making isht up as she goes.

You gotta love it, the natural movement is making a lot of these chemical promoting hair dresser's money look funny. Now when naturals do go to the shop, their hair has holes filled with dirt lmaoooo.

This is priceless!!

vIa tHiS rAgEdY aSs pHoNe
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    She sounds so ignorant. I would have left.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    And this is why I avoid hair salons. You have stylists that are educated, but a lot of the experiences I've had were with people who didn't know anything about actually caring for hair. All they were focused on was styling it. even 'natural' salons have people talking out the side of their necks. Crazy.
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I love this hair dresser, she is making isht up as she goes.

You gotta love it, the natural movement is making a lot of these chemical promoting hair dresser's money look funny. Now when naturals do go to the shop, their hair has holes filled with dirt lmaoooo.

This is priceless!!

vIa tHiS rAgEdY aSs pHoNe

LoL!

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    Old girl is not that slow in the head. She knows better - she is hoping that you don't.

She is hoping that you will defer to her "knowledge" and since no one wants an unclean head - well of course you would want to have a relaxer done so that your hair can be clean!

And who better to do that than - the one who so graciously blessed you with this knowledge?

See you get a clean head and she gets a new customer and a steady 40-60 dollars every two weeks or so.

Instead of upping their game and giving peeps what they want - how hatin' and trifflin' and pathetic to try and run game - run bull (you know what) to scare, bully, coerce folks into some other crap.

Black businesses gone steady be suffering if folks stay on this bs.
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    These stylists need to invest in green jobs like caring for natural hair. They will say anything to get you back on creamy crack. They are going to have to educate themselves or get left behind.
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    The thought that natural hair is dirty isn't really new to me. However, it's unfortunate that someone who is supposedly educated about hair is spouting this crap. I'd hate to think about the kind of skills she does have.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    they would of had to ask me to leave...she would of felt dumb after i opened my mouth next. you get props for not tellin her how little she knew.
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kairo1821kairo1821 Posts: 126Registered Users
    The funny thing is my guy friend told me last night that relaxed girls must have some dirty hair because they wait 4-6 weeks to get it washed. I feel like the misconceptions come both ways. You're better than me though, I would have told her about herself from here to high water.
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    Yeah, that woman just wanted your money. At least, that's what I want to believe. I refuse to believe that someone is that dumb. Nope, I just can't do it.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    kairo1821 wrote: »
    The funny thing is my guy friend told me last night that relaxed girls must have some dirty hair because they wait 4-6 weeks to get it washed. I feel like the misconceptions come both ways. You're better than me though, I would have told her about herself from here to high water.

I should hope someone doesn't wait 4-6 weeks to wash their hair! When I was relaxed/processed, my stylist told me to wash my hair every two weeks and do an at-home roller set/wrap or flat iron so I could have the sleek look. She didn't want me coming in with any dirty hair...but then again, before I started going to her, I used to not wash my hair in between processes...sometimes that used to be up to six months! Yes, that's bleak. So maybe I shouldn't even be talking...lol.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Why do so many slow ponies choose to become hairdressers?
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    I definitely would have asked her the science behind that, because I'm pretty sure that dirt particles are too large to get caught in the actual hair shaft.

sent from a phone better than an iphone
    People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown
  • LaCurlyMariposaLaCurlyMariposa Posts: 36Registered Users
    You all have no idea how badly I wanted to tell her about herself! I made it clear from the jump that I was not getting my hair done, but since the hairdresser was doing both my friends' hair and the stylist is good friends with one of the girls, I decided not to stir up some issues. I couldn't leave even if I wanted to because I didn't drive! Lol

Trust me, she was not gonna get a damn dime. I felt so sorry for my girls afterwards though. I said later that day, "So you let that woman put chemicals in your hair every month?" and this woman is so loud and ghetto on top of it! The hairstylist also happens to be good friends with one of the girl's mom.

It was for the sake of keeping the family together I kept my mouth shut, ha ha. If she was some random lady, she woulda heard the sound of my voice.

Staple Products: (Anything Shea Moisture) African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo, Organix Coconut Milk and Cherry Blossom conditioners, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk/ Curl Enhancing Smoothie/ Curling Souffle.:blob7:

• KetchupKetchup Posts: 375Registered Users
    I think you did the right thing.

That level of ignorance or deviousness (whichever one it is) is not worthy of any effort on your part.
  • curlyberrycurlyberry Posts: 549Registered Users
    I definitely would have asked her the science behind that, because I'm pretty sure that dirt particles are too large to get caught in the actual hair shaft.

sent from a phone better than an iphone

LOL this is where I lost it.
    Type 4, fine/high density, high porosity
    Last Relaxer - March '11
    BC - August '11

Fall/Winter PRODUCTS

Clarifier - Paul Mitchell Three Low-poos - BoBeam Conditioners - TJ Nourish Spa, CJRM!, Co-Wash - N/A, Leave-Ins - N/A, Moisturizers - Afroveda Coco Latte, QBCTDG, CR Moisture Butter, Sealants/Stylers - Any BASK butters and creams, Jane Carter N&S, QBATB
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ninjarette wrote: »

Girl....because most of them see it as "steady easy money" where they don't have to take continuing education classes or stay up on the new techniques. All they got to do is slap on a little perm, wrap a few heads, give everyone the same basic cut, and count thier money. Those chicks that run those "dubie shops" are a TRIP. They are usually the ones that finished at the BOTTOM of thier class and can barely perform the most basic of techniques.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Girl....because most of them see it as "steady easy money" where they don't have to take continuing education classes or stay up on the new techniques. All they got to do is slap on a little perm, wrap a few heads, give everyone the same basic cut, and count thier money. Those chicks that run those "dubie shops" are a TRIP. They are usually the ones that finished at the BOTTOM of thier class and can barely perform the most basic of techniques.

They always spout foolishness like it's so intelligent. Yep, many never go beyond cosmetology school. That's a shame, because a cosmetology license is only the beginning...it's not end. It's required for the real education you get AFTER you graduate - more classes, seminars/workshops, internships at top salons, etc.

Everybody wanna do hair.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,985Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow. What an amazing tale she spins.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

They always spout foolishness like it's so intelligent. Yep, many never go beyond cosmetology school. That's a shame, because a cosmetology license is only the beginning...it's not end. It's required for the real education you get AFTER you graduate - more classes, seminars/workshops, internships at top salons, etc.

Everybody wanna do hair.

Sadly this applies to salons that cater to women across the color/race spectrum. I was watching Salon Takeover on Bravo and good LORD the foolishness, raggedy equipment and salon space that looked like it was straight out of a trailer park...its a wonder that some of these folks still have clients willing to go there because I would NOT. Going to the salon is supposed to be a relaxing experience where I'm getting pampered and I'm doing something for me. If I'm in a cramped space, its LOUD and uninviting or I just generally can't relax...its a wrap for the kid.

People always give me the eyebrow raise when they ask where I get my hair done and how much I pay. I'm willing to pay what I do because I KNOW my salon's owner and her stylists go to continuing education courses and seminars...she will often shut the salon down on a Saturday or Sunday so her staff can attend. I saw several of her staff at the Natural Hair expo in Baltimore taking classes on different natural hair techniques and even saw a few in HennaSooq's henna class on Sunday. I know when I go, they are using quality products and not watering them down. I KNOW that she is using top notch equipment and I'm not waiting 2 hours because she's only got 3 of 5 dryers working. I know she's not over booking her appointments and I know I'll wait a maximum of 10-15 minutes after my arrival before my appointment starts. And finally I KNOW I am in and out in under 2 hours.

I can't do those dubbie shops and that overall "shop" mentaility. I'll go to the barber and get a fade first.

12459237.png

Everybody wanna do hair.

Sadly this applies to salons that cater to women across the color/race spectrum. I was watching Salon Takeover on Bravo and good LORD the foolishness, raggedy equipment and salon space that looked like it was straight out of a trailer park...its a wonder that some of these folks still have clients willing to go there because I would NOT. Going to the salon is supposed to be a relaxing experience where I'm getting pampered and I'm doing something for me. If I'm in a cramped space, its LOUD and uninviting or I just generally can't relax...its a wrap for the kid.

People always give me the eyebrow raise when they ask where I get my hair done and how much I pay. I'm willing to pay what I do because I KNOW my salon's owner and her stylists go to continuing education courses and seminars...she will often shut the salon down on a Saturday or Sunday so her staff can attend. I saw several of her staff at the Natural Hair expo in Baltimore taking classes on different natural hair techniques and even saw a few in HennaSooq's henna class on Sunday. I know when I go, they are using quality products and not watering them down. I KNOW that she is using top notch equipment and I'm not waiting 2 hours because she's only got 3 of 5 dryers working. I know she's not over booking her appointments and I know I'll wait a maximum of 10-15 minutes after my arrival before my appointment starts. And finally I KNOW I am in and out in under 2 hours.

I can't do those dubbie shops and that overall "shop" mentaility. I'll go to the barber and get a fade first.

True, but in my neck of the woods I'm HARD pressed to find a salon that caters to black women, where the total experience is stellar.

I gave up on salons a long time ago. Natural hair salons aren't a dime a dozen in metro Detroit. If I lived in another part of the country I'd probably feel much different.

I have yet to find a salon where the entire salon experience is on point. Ambiance is very important to me, and if step out to get my hair done, you better provide a total experience.

No loud music/loud stylists/loud customers, babies runnin' around, fish dinners at the work station, dusty/dirty equipment, cheap products, CONSTANT interruptions, etc. I want to be serviced on time and I wanna get done and get out - I don't wanna spend my entire day in a hair salon.

Or, if I do find a salon that's on point (usually a new salon), there's no consistency. It's hit or miss. They'll put on a good show for a minute, and then it's back to the same nothing special/substandard service I've experienced at other salons. Hype is always at an all time high. But when it comes to delivering the best service, every single time.....
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
  • cocodejcocodej Posts: 1,182Registered Users

Everybody wanna do hair.

Can you hip me to the salon...and I solemnly swear I will not behave ratchetly and sully thy good nameth...
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
    Get thee to Salon Revive. 9th and U street in DC. It's an Aveda Concept salon so they use Aveda products including Aveda color.

Salon Revive | About Us

They only stylists I use are the co-owners (pictured on the page I linked)...Yodit (yo-deet) and Hiwot (Heuy-wit). I've never used any of the other stylists because I like the coowners. They both have natural hair that I'd consider anywhere between a 3c-4b and IMO they tend to be able to work better with it because its what's on thier head. I will say IMO Yodit is the better of the two but she books really fast and only works 4 days a week so I do go to Hiwot during those times. If you want a good cut (just got my hair cut again Saturday into a banginf short cut) she is the lady to see. Hiwot is good too but I LOVE Yodit and usually have no problem waiting for an appointment for her.

12459237.png
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,985Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Get thee to Salon Revive. 9th and U street in DC. It's an Aveda Concept salon so they use Aveda products including Aveda color.

Salon Revive | About Us

They only stylists I use are the co-owners (pictured on the page I linked)...Yodit (yo-deet) and Hiwot (Heuy-wit). I've never used any of the other stylists because I like the coowners. They both have natural hair that I'd consider anywhere between a 3c-4b and IMO they tend to be able to work better with it because its what's on thier head. I will say IMO Yodit is the better of the two but she books really fast and only works 4 days a week so I do go to Hiwot during those times. If you want a good cut (just got my hair cut again Saturday into a banginf short cut) she is the lady to see. Hiwot is good too but I LOVE Yodit and usually have no problem waiting for an appointment for her.

Great rec, NCC!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • cocodejcocodej Posts: 1,182Registered Users

Salon Revive | About Us

Verily I say, I can no other answer make, but, thanks, and thanks. :tongue5:
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users

Salon Revive | About Us

No photos of the new 'do?

ETA: Never mind I just saw in another thread - it's lovely!
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • LaCurlyMariposaLaCurlyMariposa Posts: 36Registered Users

Salon Revive | About Us

Girl they should pay you for the rec! I go to Howard University and this isn't far at all! -digs in pockets- Time for me to get my money game up.

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users

This is scary. I would think that continuing education and knowledge of the latest, greatest- best is where the money is!

I remember when I was trying to find a stylist in my area that what familiar with the tri color full highlights or who was familiar with balayage/hair painting. I had an article from a magazine and no one had ever heard of it and they wanted me to bring the mag article in. I said no way. As if I would let someone experiment with my hair. I am now curious about the ombre hair color technique, but I don't feel like hearing the "what's that?" questions from a professional.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file