Tips for using Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee?

Touch.of.inkTouch.of.ink Posts: 297Registered Users
Yesterday, I picked up Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG), and used it for the first time. Oh my gosh! I'm in love! My new HG product! See how it even has HG in the name?:love7:

I used it on dry hair. (About 1/4 inch with my hair upside down, then flipped over and did 1/4 inch on the rest.) Sticky? Oh my yes! But it didn't dry sticky, and I had amazing curls (on what had been a flat hair day). These curls lasted through a three hour nap, and all night. (As I'm typing this morning, I believe I finally have second day hair!)

After it dried, there was almost no crunch, and I have no flakes of product either. I seriously think as long as I have this, I could dump all my other products.

Of course, I'd keep my shampoo and conditioner.
Oh, and probably my diffuser.
My detangler, which I also love.
Maybe my mousse.

But everything else can go to the cornfield!

Since I just discovered this product, I read through all the reviews of it I could find, to see if anyone had any tips for using it on damp, fine, hair. I wasn't able to find too much, so I turn to my fine cohorts :) (Though with results this amazing, I'm fine using it on dry hair for the rest of my life.)

Do any of you have any favorite tips for using BRHG?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hair: Very fine, normal porous (Finally! Yay!), normal elasticity, loves high dew points.
Daily: Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo, GVP CB, Cure Care conditioner, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls products, Spiral Solutions products.
Monthly: Henna
As needed: John Masters Organics Sea Mist
HG Product: BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee (aka BRHG. It even has HG in the name!)
Last perm: 12/10/10
CG since: 3/9/12
Last haircut: 4/17/12
Gossamer Fringe (my blog)

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That is all too funny. "HG" in the name, LOL.
    I don't use this product - but if you do a "search" in the search box (upper right corner of the website) I think you'll find many threads devoted to the wonders of BRHG.
  • Touch.of.inkTouch.of.ink Posts: 297Registered Users
    Thank you, IAgirl! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair: Very fine, normal porous (Finally! Yay!), normal elasticity, loves high dew points.
    Daily: Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo, GVP CB, Cure Care conditioner, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls products, Spiral Solutions products.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I share your love of BRHG (with HG in the name).:love4:

If I use it on hair that has become too dry, I get the white flakes. I'm surprised it worked on hair that was completely dry. I'll have to try that.

I use BRHG in combination with the smaster's method. BRHG really extends my drying time, so adding it later in the process helps shorten the drying time some. The smaster's method helps increase my curl. If you use BRHG with the smaster's method, the key is you must wet your hands before you scrunch in BRHG. This gel is so sticky, that if you don't wet your hands first, the sticky gel will pull individual hairs out of their clumps and cause frizz.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/92240-consistently-awesome-hair-technique.html
    My routine:
    Finger comb in leave in and do a modified super soaker method. Scrunch in a mix of FSG and salon care gel (ecostlyer in normal dews). squeeze out as much water as possible. Plop. Pixie diffuse half way. scrunch in BRHG (ala smasters method). Pixie diffuse some more. Air dry or sit under the hooded dryer.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/92240-consistently-awesome-hair-technique.html
    My routine:
    Finger comb in leave in and do a modified super soaker method. Scrunch in a mix of FSG and salon care gel (ecostlyer in normal dews). squeeze out as much water as possible. Plop. Pixie diffuse half way. scrunch in BRHG (ala smasters method). Pixie diffuse some more. Air dry or sit under the hooded dryer.

Thank you pedaheh! This is a great link, and I can't wait to try this method. And thanks for the hint about wetting my hands first. I'll try that, too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Posts: 900Registered Users
    I almost always use it on damp hair (over just about anything, but my hair especially loves it on top of KCCC or on top of AG Re:Coil), I scrunch 'n pump (basically how you normally scrunch, but when you make the motion of scrunching and get to the top of your hair with a good amount of hair in your hand, you keep your hand there and tighten/loosen your fist; I don't think I'm explaining it well, but if you find the thread that lists techniques, it's in there), and then pixie diffuse til it's most of the way dry. Definitely sets my waves and makes me happy.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • wavyonewavyone Posts: 219Registered Users
    I second what kimmidawn said; I can only use it on wet or damp hair, and I use KCCC first.
    2a or b, highlighted, fine hair but lots of it
    Modified CG since 6/11

Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix
    Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Rinse Out: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner or Deva One C
    DT: CJ Rehab
    Stylers: Deva Heaven in Hair as a Leave-in, followed by Arc Angel
    SOTC: CJ CIAB
    I've tried my BRHG on damp hair a couple of times. It's not really working for me, in that I don't see any difference. I wonder if I need to use more? Because my hair is so thin and fine, I know that product weighs it down, and I *try* to go light until I get used to it.

Oh, well, it still works great on my dry (not damp) hair, and I'll experiment over the weekend with using different amounts.

And I love the "scrunch and pump" method for getting clumps in my hair! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I normally mix BRHG into a softer hold gel (it's a great way to still get some use out of gels that have otherwise disappointed me). I only use a very small amount of BRHG so this also helps with getting it evenly distributed. I'm wary of trying BRHG alone because I have fine hair, but a lot of it and I worry it would be overkill for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I normally mix BRHG into a softer hold gel (it's a great way to still get some use out of gels that have otherwise disappointed me)

Oh, I'll have to try this! I have a huge bottle of gel to use up :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I too mix it w/ another gel. When my hair is soaking wet, I usually scrunch in my curl enhancer and plop w/ a t-shirt. After 20-30 mins I take my hair out of the plop and scrunch in my gel (I will mix a gel and a tiny bit of BRHG together) and plop again.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

I too mix it w/ another gel. When my hair is soaking wet, I usually scrunch in my curl enhancer and plop w/ a t-shirt. After 20-30 mins I take my hair out of the plop and scrunch in my gel (I will mix a gel and a tiny bit of BRHG together) and plop again.

I'm going to try plopping this weekend. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm afraid it will take so long that it will never be useful to me, and because I'm afraid that my hair will get squished into a weird shape. (My hair is very...what's the word? Not flexible, but holds on to anything I do to it, color, twists, whatever. Doesn't have a mind of its own?)

Anyway, weekends are great for experiments :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I actually get my best results from not plopping for too long. I keep my hair plopped for as long as it takes me to get dressed after my shower. And it's so much nicer to get dressed without wet hair getting in my way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some people plop and then diffuse. I am lazy and just let my hair air dry!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file