For those with weak wave patterns who wash at night

kimmidawnkimmidawn Posts: 900Registered Users
Ive tried washing at night, but whatever I do, I find my hair just looks funny when I wake up (pieces are just bendy, not wavy, don't look right, etc). Since I also like to sleep in, rather than waking up super early to do my hair, generally I end up just wearing my hair up in the mornings and it's making me kind of sad because I'd like to wear my hair down more often. So what are your successful methods for doing your hair at night and having it come out good the next day?
2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later

Comments

• missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you sleeping with a plop? If so have you recently had your hair cut? What's your length?

I generally don't sleep with wet hair unless it's in a plop because it just won't come out well in the AM. That being said if my hair's shorter (above mid-shoulderblade) the plop won't do much for me either.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I nearly always wash at night and style in the morning. On those occasions when I do try to fix my hair at night and then sleep on it, it works best to use something without a lot of hold at night (maybe FSG or AVG - something that re-activates very well with water) just to get the waves going. Then after getting the Zs, I spray with a little water and scrunch in something with a bit more hold which both restores some waves and curls and provides the "style" and air-dries in about half an hour (can't get things too wet or it takes longer).
    Clips are crucial here to provide volume and fix that flat spot you slept on. ;) Or to fix a spot which has "parted" and left a hole. If I don't want wonky volume, I use bobby pins instead of clips and thread them in to pick up hair on either side of my part or either side of a gap and leave them there while my hair dries. I have bobby pins that match my hair color, so if I did forget one, it probably wouldn't show. And if it did show, I could explain it away by saying it was there in case I needed to pick a lock...
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Posts: 900Registered Users
    @missbanjo - I tried sleeping with a plop twice, but both times, it didn't work (once it was too tight and I couldn't fall asleep, the other time it came off, I think due to me tossing and turning). No recent haircut, and my hair is probably bra strap length, so plopping normally works, but I'm not sure if it'll work for sleeping.

@IAgirl - are there any other products that work well as far as reactivating with water in the morning other than FSG and AVG? And lol at your explanation for the bobby pins :) I'm in my living room and my roommate was curious when she heard me laugh a little bit at that part

RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dottybeandottybean Posts: 36Registered Users
    I almost always wash at night. I do the whole routine, add my leave in and styler then plop all evening until I'm ready to go to bed. Just before going to bed I take the plop out, add my BRHG in 3-4 sections then loosely pineapple and go to bed. In the morning by hair is usually 80-90% dry. I let it down and leave it alone while I get ready eat breakfast and so on. If I have ten mins to spare I will diffuse it a little but usually I clip the top and get into the car for work. By the time I get to work it's dry and I scrunch out the crunch in the parking lot!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think lots of gels refresh well with a spritz of water. Stuff like Ecostyler or LA looks (the sticky, slower to dry gels usually refresh the best) or KCCC, maybe.

If you have some mousse or styling foam, that's also good for an AM, water spritz-apply-scrunch-quick-dry refresher. I was personally head over heels for the Deva Volumizing foam, even though it is expensive - but it gave me serious itch. And awesome, tighter wavy curls. Sigh...
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me, it can't be done. A shower and re-wetting is faster than the time it takes me to try to fix the mess I wake up with.

A weird detail: terrible morning hair runs in my family. Go figure.
  • Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
    The only thing that has worked for me is to put my hair in pigtail braids when it's wet. By the morning it's dry or almost dry. I take my hair out of the braids and spray/spritz with water then scrunch in my products. Pretty easy :)
  • Mec1976Mec1976 Posts: 210Registered Users
    kimmidawn wrote: »
    I tried sleeping with a plop twice, but both times, it didn't work (once it was too tight and I couldn't fall asleep, the other time it came off, I think due to me tossing and turning).

I used to have the same problem until I started using a long sleeve tshirt. Now I can use the arms to tie it in the back and it stays on all night.

You could also try a flour sack towel with a hair net. That also worked for me in the past.

HTH :)
    Finally have a routine that works :toothy5:

Low Poo - 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra-Moist Shampoo
    Co-Wash - V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
    RO - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Cure Care, GVPCB
    LI - KCNT
    Stylers - GF Pure Clean Gel, BTZ Noodle Head, LA Looks Sports Gel, Eco Styler Krystal, KCCC (I am a product junkie ;-) )

Wash at night, add products, plop in a t-shirt overnight, then diffuse in the morning!! It is great finally getting to sleep in :sleepy2:
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is short and I have just been putting it up in the mornings. Maybe I need a better hair cut.
    Mec1976 wrote: »
    kimmidawn wrote: »
    I tried sleeping with a plop twice, but both times, it didn't work (once it was too tight and I couldn't fall asleep, the other time it came off, I think due to me tossing and turning).

I used to have the same problem until I started using a long sleeve tshirt. Now I can use the arms to tie it in the back and it stays on all night.

You could also try a flour sack towel with a hair net. That also worked for me in the past.

HTH :)

That's a good idea, trying it with a hairnet or just using a long sleeved shirt. I'll probably be trying this either tonight or tomorrow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I give myself a few hours or more before bedtime. I wash and condition, add stylers, plop for a bit, then diffuse for about 30 minutes til it is mostly dry and let it air dry til bedtime. I don't usually pineapple, but rather splay the hair across the pillow behind me. Hair is BSL for me. Generally, if it hasn't all dried by bedtime, it is by morning. It isn't always perfect, but it beats getting up 3 hours early.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

So just an update, last night I washed my hair (clarifying cowash, Aubrey Organics GPB rinse out, KCKT leave in), and scrunched in some AVG before doing a french braid. I was going to do two french braids, one on each side, but I figured it might end up keeping me awake since I sleep on my side. Then this morning, I rewetted my hair (pretty much got it dripping wet), scrunched in probably 4 quarter sized blobs of GF Pure Clean, diffused and headed out the door.

As far as I can tell, pretty good results. My hair is crunchy now so I'll probably try to take some pictures before and after SOTC and post them later today. The one thing I noticed is there's not nearly as much clumping, but I'm not sure if that will change after I SOTC (sometimes I get more clumping after SOTC, so I'm hopeful). While this probably won't give me perfect results, it definitely takes out about half an hour to an hour out of my routine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bird19bird19 Posts: 66Registered Users
    I'm totally jealous of those of you who can do the braids-at-night thing--if I do that I look like I've been attacked by one of those crimping irons from the 80s! :)
    2a/2b, fine and thin
    new wavy!

currently using:
    cleansing: BS/ACV rinse weekly
    PT: Gelatin PT
    Conditioner: Desert Essences fragrance-free
    Styling: LOTD Aloe
    bird19 wrote: »
    I'm totally jealous of those of you who can do the braids-at-night thing--if I do that I look like I've been attacked by one of those crimping irons from the 80s! :)

Oh I can't do it either, I mainly do it to keep it out of my face and not get super tangled. If I want to take it down from a braid and wear it out, I have to rewet it and add product. I too am jealous of those who can take down from a braid and go.

ETA: here are pictures from the end of the day. Not the best day I've ever had, but definitely an option for me since I don't like getting up early. I'm excited to try other products and see how those work. And I don't know why my photos end up turned upside down grrrrr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmimocmimo Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a handkerchief, fold it in half into a triangle and tie the ends on my forehead sort of like Rosie the Riveter. I turn my head upside down, and let the handkerchief sort of surround my hair. I sort of slowly scrunch my hair with both of my hands, and hold it to the top of my head and stand back up straight. So my hair just sits in a little nest on top of my head, inside the handkerchief. Then I use three duck bill clips to secure the handkerchief ends and cover my hair.

When I wake up the ends of my hair look great, but everything that was pressed up against my head all night is a little flat, so I re-wet only those sections, mainly the back and around my ears (the underneath of my hair) and around my part just to get some volume there.

I started doing this after attempting to sleep in a long sleeved t-shirt plop. The main problem there was that all my hair squished the hair at the top of the head and it was plastered to my scalp and forehead with no volume what-so-ever the next day. With the handkerchief nothing presses down on my hair it just nests up there all night. (:

Sort of like this cutie:
    Rosie the Riveter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Clean: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Condition: SM Restorative Conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Style: AIACJ, L'Oreal Everstyle Strong Hold Defining Gel, BRHG
  • Mec1976Mec1976 Posts: 210Registered Users
    cmimo wrote: »
    I use a handkerchief, fold it in half into a triangle and tie the ends on my forehead sort of like Rosie the Riveter. I turn my head upside down, and let the handkerchief sort of surround my hair. I sort of slowly scrunch my hair with both of my hands, and hold it to the top of my head and stand back up straight. So my hair just sits in a little nest on top of my head, inside the handkerchief. Then I use three duck bill clips to secure the handkerchief ends and cover my hair.

When I wake up the ends of my hair look great, but everything that was pressed up against my head all night is a little flat, so I re-wet only those sections, mainly the back and around my ears (the underneath of my hair) and around my part just to get some volume there.

I started doing this after attempting to sleep in a long sleeved t-shirt plop. The main problem there was that all my hair squished the hair at the top of the head and it was plastered to my scalp and forehead with no volume what-so-ever the next day. With the handkerchief nothing presses down on my hair it just nests up there all night. (:

Sort of like this cutie:
    Rosie the Riveter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Interesting. I use a similar process with a hair net for my second day hair, but need the shirt on nights I wash and my hair is still damp.

a6934fdb-7723-697a.jpg

I have some flour sack towels so maybe I will try those. :)
    Finally have a routine that works :toothy5:

Low Poo - 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra-Moist Shampoo
    Co-Wash - V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie Conditioner
    RO - Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Cure Care, GVPCB
    LI - KCNT
    Stylers - GF Pure Clean Gel, BTZ Noodle Head, LA Looks Sports Gel, Eco Styler Krystal, KCCC (I am a product junkie ;-) )

Wash at night, add products, plop in a t-shirt overnight, then diffuse in the morning!! It is great finally getting to sleep in :sleepy2:
  • amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
    I had a surprising amount of success just styling, letting it dry, and then pineappleing the other night, but that seems way too easy so I feel sure you've tried it. :?
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:
  • Leigh'07Leigh'07 Posts: 183Registered Users
    I'm a new night washer and i love it. My hair is easily manipulated so it took a lot of trial and error to get it right. Two braids work for me because it mimics my natural curl pattern almost perfectly. I do my whole routine, let it dry for as long as I can then put it in two braids and tie it up for the night. In the morning I put a little gel on the frizzy curls and defuse for about 5min. I love it

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
    hair properties: low porosity, coarse, dense and predominantly 3b I guess

current products:
    conditioner - suave professionals
    leave in - suave naturals
    stylers - shea moisture smoothie and xtreme gel
    @amandamarie - unfortunately, pineapple-ing leaves dents in my hair and just doesn't work :-/

@leigh - I wish that braids would mimic my curl pattern lol that would make my life so much easier, but oh well...I keep trying new things and hope for good results

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file