CurlTalk

Interviews: Should I tell them I'm unemployed?

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I have a phone interview this morning and an in-person interview tomorrow (2 different places). I'm sure they will ask me if I am still employed at (insert last job here). Is it going to reflect badly on me if I tell them I was laid off? I had no control over that. Obviously I am not going to lie to them but what is the best way to phrase that I am currently unemployed?
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Becasue you were laid off, I would just explain the circumstances. Had you quit, or been fired, I would be alittle more cautious about telling them. This was out of your control though, so I don't see how they hold that against you.

Good Luck :D
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I have interviewed people who were laid off or whose company folded. I don't consider it a negative issue at all. It happens!
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I never knew what to say to people. I was on a jobhunt for two years. I was working at the same retail job (bookstore) that I had been at all four years of college and almost two years after, and working parttime with a theatre production company.

At one interview, the guy gave me the third degree about why I had been out of college for "sooooooooooooooooo long" and still didn't have a "real job" yet.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I wanted to kick him!!!! I had gone through so much with interviews, etc. and I didn't understand why he should care that my current job wasn't "good enough" for him, when I was clearly sending out applications and interviewing AND working SEVEN DAYS A WEEK at two jobs while doing so! Made me so mad!

But, I realized that I nothing to be ashamed of and anyone worth working for that would realize what a great worker I was wouldn't care about something like that. Honesty is always the right way to go...you didn't do anything wrong!!!!
  • anonnymouseanonnymouse Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    It's absoloutely fine to say you were laid off. It's completely different than being fired or quitting, and the interviewer knows that.
    7931.gif7932.gif7933.gifUntitled-vi.png
  • Resume WriterResume Writer Posts: 645Registered Users
    There's nothing wrong with saying that you were laid off--it's a good explanantion for why you are job searching.

If the company closed, filed for bankruptcy, eliminated your department, or reduced itself to a core group of people, you may want to add this as well (obviously, without injecting any negatives).
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    unless you went postal with a gun on some colleagues or were caught stealing, there is a way to explain being fired without being scared or looking sheepish. you just have to have a strong command of language and have confidence in changing the tone and direction of the interview.

here is an example of a reply that makes the applicant sound professional and confident, while showing that she takes responsibility for the part she played in her termination:

"I was fired after a major reorganization. The merging of different cultures had caused a major change in the way things were done. There were some differences of opinion between my boss and me. In the end, I was let go. I take responsibility for my part in the way things turned out. I learned a lot from the experience, and in retrospect, I would have handled it differently. But that is behind me now, and I am ready to move on with a new perspective."

whatever you do, don't lie and don't complain about your past job.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Being laid off is not a negative. If you are doing any volunteer work, constulting, etc., in addition to job-hunting, definitely mention that.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.