Extremely protein sensitive, please recommend good conditioners!

TangledMadnessTangledMadness Posts: 43Registered Users
Hi

I have extremely protein sensitive hair and need help in finding good (if not great!) protein free conditioners!
My hair is low porosity,protein sensitive and my hair type is 3B.

I am going mad! I have tried everything, jessicurl (deep cond, and shea one, I suspect it's the shea that doesn't agree with my hair),Qhemet biologics (didn't work either, major disappointment. I tried their burdock root butter cream),Garnier fructis (the nutri repair one protein free).
The only one that has worked so far is from Aubrey organics and it's the infamous Honeysuckle rose conditioner and it was OK, not that good to be honest and I had to use A LOT for my hair to feel moisturized but so far it has been the only thing that has worked for my hair and made it feel nice.

So, here I am with dry, tangled hair not knowing what move to make next...I feel like I really need to wash my hair BUT I don't have a good conditioner, i'm thinking I have to buy the honeysuckle rose conditioner AGAIN which I don't feel like doing because I have to order it online....I just want to be able to grab a conditioner from the store and just go but it's like there is NO conditioner out here without protein!
Here are the ingredient from the Honeysuckle rose conditioner from Aubrey's:Coconut fatty acid cream base,organic aloe vera,organic shea butter,wheat germ oil,organic jojoba oil,organic rose mosqueta,rose hip seed oil;extracts of fennel,hops,balm mint,mistletoe,camomille,yarrow,chrysanthemum,angelica,forsythia and magnolia;Honeysuckle Oil,Carrot oil,aubrey's preservative (citrus seed extract,Vitamin A,C and E).

The end.
I don't get my hair. According to the ingredient list it's not supposed to be good for my hair since I have tried almost all those ingredients separately, like coconut fat. I have pure coconut fat that I melted into oil and put in my hair, it made my hair feel like straw.
Shea butter: Same thing. Made my hair feel dry. Jojoba oil is protein,right? I'm not even going to go there.

I don't know what to do :cry: I've already had to cut my hair short because it tangles, even after i detangle it it goes back to tangled within a minute! My hair strands just feel like magnets, they just stick together, it's like electricity.
I have really fine hair strands and low porous because my hair takes long to get wet and for water to really soak in.
I know about different techniques, like spritzing your water wet before you wash it, and/or put a wet semi hot towel over your head to open up the hair cuticles (?).
That's all great but I also need a good conditioner!

Please give me some advice and what conditioner is the best for REALLY protein sensitive hair.
I heard about glycerin and mixing it with water...I am going to try that also.

*I am going to try the Garnier - Fructis Sleek and Shine Fortifying Deep Conditioner 3 Minute Masque today after having done some research* Please dear god make this work!!

Comments

• TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm? It's protein free and really affordable. I know some people don't have a Sally's nearby but if you do, this one is worth a try. You can even put some EVOO in it to make it richer. Also, have you tried just EVOO by itself as a deep conditioner? You can leave it in overnight and then rinse and co-wash the next morning and you should see an improvement.

Good luck and hang in there. :)
    Teresina
    3b/3c/4a coarse, high porosity
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, the GVP conditioning balm is a good, rich one. I think Wal-greens has their own version as well but I'm not sure what it's called.

I also like Yes to Cucumbers. It's not as thick but still very moisturizing. Tresemme Naturals is another good choice. I find it pretty moisturizing but some don't as just use it as a cowash. I feel like since my hair has gotten healthier the last couple years I need way less moisture than I did in the past!

oh and I hated the Jessicurl deep conditioners. Both felt icky and not very moisturizing! Love the CJ Curl Rehab though!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    As I am Leave-in (at Sally's), and Kinky-Curly Knot Today (at Target).
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • TangledMadnessTangledMadness Posts: 43Registered Users
    Thanks for all your helpful replies!
    So, I couldn't find the Garnier - Fructis Sleek and Shine Fortifying Deep Conditioner 3 Minute Masque I was going to buy at the store, instead I just found Garnier Fructis Nutri repair. I used that and it made my hair all blah, a little little moisture but that's it. What I did was I completely drowned my hair in semi hot water and I think it helped because it forced my hair to soak in the moisture.

I don't live in America, I'm in Europe so we don't have Sally's where I'm from. People in this country generally have straight, thin hair and finding products for curly/wavy hair is frustrating, finding products for protein sensitive hair is even more frustrating!
    Anyway, I ordered Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Conditioning Balm online so I'm excited about that! I've heard so many great things about it from reading reviews.
    I am also excited because I discovered Aubrey Organics have a protein free shampoo (!) called Calaguala fern shampoo!! I am going to order that next when I have some money lol

Question: My hair hates oil, everything from olive oil to castor oil and coconut oil...I was wondering, is (pure) argan oil ok for protein sensitive hair?

Thanks again, I love this site, has helped a lot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file