Cover highlights

Dorothy816Dorothy816 Registered Users Posts: 1
This is my first post so I hope it goes through :laughing6:

I have been highlighting my hair for 12 years. I want to return to my natural color.

Here is a link that I feel will best describe my situation.

http://www.haircolorideas2012.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Hair-Color-Charts.gif

My natural color is light brown (between C-2-2 & C-5).

My highlights are so heavy that my hair is completely covered in highlights except for about 1/5 of my hair (the part that is closest to my neck). I do have a few lowlights mixed in. Most of my hair is currently a mixture of dirty blonde C-8, copper blonde C-10, and golden blonde C-11-1. The few lowlights that I have are close to my original color.

My hair used to be 2B-wavy. But, after years of highlighting it, the wave is hardly there anymore. My hair is not straight now, but an awkward wavy/straight combination that I just flatiron straight.

I want my waves back as well as my natural color.

I thought about my options & talked to my hairdresser. She suggested putting in more lowlights in each time I get my hair done. I also came up with the idea of keeping my 1/5 natural color & not touching it & using that color as a comparison to dye the rest that is heavily highlighted. I am concerned about matching the color & how the highlighted hair will actually get covered to match my natural color.

My goal is to go back completely to my natural light brown color & maybe add a few highlights later on down the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to achieve my goal?

Also, how much of my wave do you think I will get back eventually?

THANKS!!!

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    If you want it to be gradual, you can start doing lowlights. But if you want to cover or blend the highlights all at once, you can color them.
    Are you wanting to have it done at the salon or do it at home?

If you go the salon route, ask for a strand test. Most stylists don't bother and will just start coloring your hair. Choose a color that is 2-3 shades lighter than the rest of your hair/natural shade. The highlights will pick up the color faster and get dark if you don't.

You can also try something like Color by Robert Craig if you want to cover them yourself at home. Same rule applies: choose a lighter color.

It's always easier to go darker if needed, but you don't want to get too dark because it's harder to lighten back up.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I just looked at your color chart again. My hair is about the same color and I use RC's Golden Chestnut to blend my grays into highlights. I would start with a shade about that color or lighter.

Your waves should come back as the old, bleached hair grows out. RC Color is gentle and won't destroy your curls and waves like most haircolor.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file