Shea Moisture?

Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
I have fine, thin hair that gets weighed down easily. I saw Susanna's video about the Shea Moisture line. She said it makes her hair thicker and the pictures of her hair looked great. I was wondering if anyone tried their products and what they thought of them. Thanks ladies!

Hair type: 2a/2b. Fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Comments

• DeenyzeDeenyze Posts: 3Registered Users
    I love their products been using it over a year. I also have fine hair type 4. It leaves my hair soft and moisturized. I love their curl milk. Give it a try their prices are reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • beeduhbeeduh Posts: 684Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also like the SM products. The biotin ones help thicken my fine hair and it gives me a bit of a volume boost. It doesn't take much either. The curling milk works very well. I also have the souffle and smoothie I'm still experimenting with.
    CG as of Feb. 2012
    combination hair.
    2c on top - low elasticity
    3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
    fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
    porosity: normal to high.
    loves protein and moisture.
    BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
    loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
  • ljh34ljh34 Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Control Shampoo. I've been alternating it with some other low-poos, but I like it a lot.
    ~Laura

• Blog: Waves & Wisps: A Hair Journal
    • Routine: Still experimenting!
    • My hair type: 2b; fine/normal thickness; low density; high porosity (I think!)
  • LisaLisaLisaLisa Posts: 42Registered Users
    This past week I tried their volumizing conditioner and am VERY happy with the results. I used it to get more volume and I think it really is helping. I am thinking of switching to the whole line. The only product I have tried and didn't like was the curl shampoo. Did nothing for my 3b/a hair.
    Still figuring out the best routine for my 3b hair!

Shampoo - Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Condition with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention mixed with Suave Coconut
    Leave In: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Styler: LA Looks Sport
    EVOO on tips

Adding Moisture with Hot Oil Treatments of EVOO

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    I have fine-to-medium hair, thin density, and a mixed pattern of wurlies, and so far I am really liking the SM curling souffle. I have just below chin length hair and I don't use very much at all. Maybe a pea sized amount. I can see where it could weigh hair like mine down since it's got a lot of oils and agave, so I keep a light hand with it. I want to try their curling milk next :)
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    What video? Do you have a link?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• saitenyosaitenyo Posts: 20Registered Users
    I have very fine hair (but thick) and actually found the shea moisture products to be too heavy for me, but so far my hair has not responded well to any leave-in products.

I've only tried the souffle and curl milk, not the shampoo or conditioner.
    Wavy, fine, thick.

Low Poo: Organix Shea Butter
    Moisturizing Conditioner (only on shampoo days): Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Co-wash: Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume
    Methods: Co-wash daily or every other day. Low-poo and moisturizing condition once every 3-4 days. Comb through once and air-dry.
  • pharaohpharaoh Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have 2a hair and used the curl enhancing smoothie and loved it...but it destroyed my skin. I think the coconut really broke me out.:sad6:
  • Wavy BrunetteWavy Brunette Posts: 111Registered Users
    I think this is the video Mimee is talking about. I have been wanting to try the curling smoothie but think it might be too heavy for my hair...

Product Review: Shea Moisture for Fine Hair - YouTube
    2b , waves and some spirals
    Med/Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Low Elasticity

Sulfate/Silicone Free Since Jan 2011 :)

Low Poo- CJ Curl Assurance, SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    RO - Y2C, CJ Beauticurls, GVPCB, SM Restorative Conditioner,
    Stylers- Homemade FSG, KCC, BRHG
    HG Techniques- Spritz and Condish, Icequeen method, plopping
  • Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
    plunkybug wrote: »
    What video? Do you have a link?

Yes here is the link. It was recently sent in a Naturally Curly e-mail even though I had seen it before.

Product Review: Shea Moisture for Fine Hair - YouTube
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    I find the SM shampoos clean more than a low poo. There not as gentle as I expected them to be.
    Thanks everyone for the response! I'm trying to be good and not spend a bunch of money again but I really want to try SM! Has anyone used the volumizing products?
  • allnaturalchickallnaturalchick Posts: 201Registered Users
    I have 3c hair and I absolutely love Shea moisture products, I would pay the money to have healthy, fabulous hair
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was just in Walgreens shopping for another tub of Shea Moisture Smoothie and Curl and Shine Shampoo, both of which I love and use all the time.
    I normally use Ecostyler Argan oil over the smoothie.
    Right on the shelf beside the Shea Moisture is Nubian Heritage, so I bought the Honey and Black Seed Heat Protect Keratin Wrap Mousse.

I used it after shampooing with the Curl and Shine, scrunched it in over my usual dab of Smoothie, combed through, scrunched some more.

My hair dried with nice waves, curly at the ends as usual, shiny, with no crunch. Next day I only needed
    a little water and a tiny bit more of the mousse to have my hair back in good shape.I love it so far!

If you like the Shea Moisture products, try the Nubian Heritage, they have several new hair care lines.
  • wavychicawavychica Posts: 30Registered Users
    Mimee03 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the response! I'm trying to be good and not spend a bunch of money again but I really want to try SM! Has anyone used the volumizing products?

Certain Walgreens stores have a Shea Moisture curl kit that includes small sizes of most of their curl products. I believe the kit is $20. Kind of a lot to plunk down all at once, but you get to try a few different things without having to pay full price.

Btw, before I moved to Florida and had to deal with this cursed hard water (ie using sulfates again), I used the Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo (yellow bottle). I tried the curl shampoo (pink bottle), and didn't care for it.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pharaoh wrote: »
    I have 2a hair and used the curl enhancing smoothie and loved it...but it destroyed my skin. I think the coconut really broke me out.:sad6:
    It could also be the unlisted preservatives. The shampoo has unlisted preservatives, IDK about the smoothie.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/138085-interesting-beauty-brains-post-shea-moisture-shampoo.html
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wavychica wrote: »
    Certain Walgreens stores have a Shea Moisture curl kit that includes small sizes of most of their curl products. I believe the kit is $20. Kind of a lot to plunk down all at once, but you get to try a few different things without having to pay full price.

Sometimes the kits are on sale for $14.99. I have only seen them in the Curl & Shine (peach label) and Repair & Transition (gold label) lines. I don't know if they even have it in the Thickening & Growth (green label) line.

I absolutely love the Moisture Retention shampoo and have recently (finally) gotten my hands on the Curl & Shine shampoo which I like as well, it is a little more harsh than the Moisture Retention though. I didn't really like the Thickening & Growth shampoo or the conditioner or the smell. I also use the Curl & Shine hair milk as a leave-in, the Thickening & Growth milk didn't impress me. I like the smoothie pretty well but can only use it in the summer due to the glycerin and a little goes a long way. I didn't like any of the African Black Soap (black label) line although it did smell pretty nice. I have the Hold & Shine moisture mist but I'm still unsure how to use it. It does give some hold but it's no BRHG.

ETA: I just have to add *GASP* my 2 closest Targets FINALLY have Shea Moisture!!
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
    Update: I splurged and bought all four thickening products. I think already my hair feels thicker. Not sure if the spray and leave in are too heavy for my thin hair but I'll play around with it and see :)
  • beeduhbeeduh Posts: 684Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mimee03 wrote: »
    Update: I splurged and bought all four thickening products. I think already my hair feels thicker. Not sure if the spray and leave in are too heavy for my thin hair but I'll play around with it and see :)

You should definitely post an about your experience with the thickening line. I only have the thickening spray and thickening milk and haven't used it much.
    CG as of Feb. 2012
    combination hair.
    2c on top - low elasticity
    3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
    fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
    porosity: normal to high.
    loves protein and moisture.
    BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
    loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file