oils in sulfate free shampoos

IAgalIAgal Registered Users Posts: 139
I'm using a sulfate free shampoo that has argan oil
in it. The shampoo is CG. It seems like maybe the
argan oil makes my scalp have a layer of "buildup"
that i don't get when i use a non moisturizing sulfate
free shampoo(I'm a 2c btw)..but the non moisturizing sulf-free
shampoos leave my hair really dry....

I wash every 3 days with this. The first day my hair is good but then next two days it feels oily...not sure how
to combat this either.

anyone have any suggestions?

I don't color or use any heat on my hair. It is very thick and probably low to med porous if this helps any.....

I don't do very well with co-wash so i've been using sulfate free shampoos

Comments

• Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    I can't do oils in my shampoo. Have you tried a cream cleanser? I swear by Curls creamy cleanser. It have coco betaine in it so it removes everything that builds up but leaves my hair so soft and moisturized. This is my staple hair product. Everything else can go.
  • IAgalIAgal Registered Users Posts: 139
    Thank you. No I haven't....well, i've tried a wen knock off but it had menthol in it and it really irritated my
    scalp! I will look up the one you suggested.Its hard
    finding something thats "just right"...!
    I can attest to that. I'm still working on the rest of my routine but the curls has stood the test of time. You can find it at target in the ethnic section. It's 9.99 for an 8oz. It lasts me about a month and it smells like vanilla cake batter which I love ;)
    You can find it at target in the ethnic section. 9.99 for an 8 oz bottle. It lasts me about a month and it smells like vanilla cake batter which I freakin love lol
    Vanilla cake batter!? oh yum!!! Thanks for letting
    me know its at Target....I've been trying to figure out
    which one it was for sure.
    637f4c84-71f8-b5a5.jpg here's a pic hun. I love this stuff. I could never co-wash because I would get build up so bad and that's just nasty. This stuff leaves my scalp hella clean and hair is so soft lol
    sweeeet! thanks for the pic! I'm excited! headed to
    Target tomorrow!
    thanks!!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I second the idea of cleansing conditioners- before I ever heard of CG I managed on Deva Curl No-Poo for almost two straight years. No clarifying, no low-poos. The only reason my hair got bad near the end was because I was adding a silicone-laden hair serum into the process. My favorite is CJDF, but the Curls cleanser does smell really yummy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    crapola...went to Target,they don't have it :(

i also realized my shampoo is NOT cg..don't know how
    i missed the dimethicone at the very end :( double
    downer..............

i CAN buy it online though!
    I posted this in the other forum also- Curls products are available at Sally's now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I will try Sallys this weekend! thanks!
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I posted this in the other forum also- Curls products are available at Sally's now.

Oh, really? This is not good for my wallet
    IAgal wrote: »
    I will try Sallys this weekend! thanks!

I've noticed that not all targets carry it. You may have to go to a few to find it
    well............sally's didn't have it,as of YET anyway.
    I went to another Target and they had about 4 different kinds of the Curly brand(conditioner,gel,etc) but the one thing they didn't have that i really wanted was the darn creamy curl cleanser....GROWL!!!! the conditioner did smell heavenly!...anyone tried/liked that one? so my search continues.......

I see several people like renpure (red bottle)shampoo.....but it has proteins in it and not sure how my hair will respond to that plus it has a cone in it so how can everyone say its cg? i'm clueless....
  • yossarianyossarian Registered Users Posts: 967
    If you really like the argan oil but want to avoid cones, you could try DermOrganic conditioning shampoo, which has no silicones, sulfates, parabens or glycerin.

I bought this in TJ Maxx and I love it! Very reasonably priced, too - $19.99 for 1 liter. It's supposed to help preserve color, and I think it's true because although I don't color my hair, it's sun-lightened, and I've received compliments on the color since I started using this.

I just picked up the DermOrganics Intensive Hair Repair Masque today (same price) and anxiously looking forward to seeing the results of the two products together.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
    I have the DermOrganics Shampoo and Masque. The shampoo is amazing! I haven't used the masque as much, but it definitely worked well. I'm glad to hear that they are available at TJMaxx.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    i LOVE the smell of the argan oil and i can handle it
    in a conditioner,but i can't handle it in a shampoo because it causes my scalp to be greasy,i can feel
    like a layer on my scalp. thanks for the suggestion
    though.

well,i got on the phone and called all the targets in my area and NONE of them have the cleanser,but they have all the other ones(cond,brulee,gel,etc)..whats up with that??
    BUT i did find a sallys that has it so I will probably
    go tonight or tomorrow morning and pick that up.yeah!
    now...should i get the condish too?....

decisions decisions................
    well............sally's didn't have it,as of YET anyway.
    I went to another Target and they had about 4 different kinds of the Curly brand(conditioner,gel,etc) but the one thing they didn't have that i really wanted was the darn creamy curl cleanser....GROWL!!!! the conditioner did smell heavenly!...anyone tried/liked that one? so my search continues.......

I see several people like renpure (red bottle)shampoo.....but it has proteins in it and not sure how my hair will respond to that plus it has a cone in it so how can everyone say its cg? i'm clueless....

Are you looking at an actual bottle? Online ingredients are not always updated in a timely manner (if at all). For example, the ingredients for One n' Only Argan Shampoo don't mention dimethicone. So online ingredient lists should always be taken with a grain of salt. The bottle of Renpure that I have is definitely silicone-free- I read ingredient labels at least three times- when I'm about to put it in my shopping cart, when I get home and go to put it away, and the first time I'm about to use it in my hair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    on the Renpure- no I"m not looking at an actual
    bottle.i was looking at what it showed online. Walgreens in my area carried it and now this morning i noticed it was gone :( totally took it out....
    glad to hear it doesn't have cones in it(though i will
    double check in the store when i find it again that is...)i'm still a lil worried about the proteins....

i'm probably going to buy renpure AND the curls creamy cleanser so i can compare...i'd hate to think how much moolah i've spent on hair products in the last year.yipes!
    What is the texture of your hair? Typically fine hair likes proteins. Normal textures can usually use protein in moderation. The key is that many people need to follow protein with moisture. My hair LOVES protein, but I still follow every PT with a DT, and if I use a protein-heavy conditioner I cut it with a bit of a more moisturizing conditioner (although this is often more for the extra slip of the second conditioner).

I also wouldn't quite write off the oils in shampoo yet, only because the shampoo you were using also had dimethicone. You can't really be sure which ingredient was causing less than stellar results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    i have thick-dense-coarse hair so i normally try to avoid
    proteins because almost everyone on here says most hair like mine doesn need it,but then some people with hair like mine will say they are okay with protein. so the more i read the more confused i get truefully. is there a good way to test how your hair handles protein? you say after
    protein you need moisture? like if i use a shampoo with protein then i would need to use a conditioner that is very moisturizing but protein free or ?????
    i absolutely LOVE the smell of the one n only argan oil shampoo but mine def has dimethicone in it...maybe you are right,maybe it could be the 'cone giving me problems and not the argan oil. someone above mentioned another argan oil shampoo without cones, i could look into that...so now i'm up to 3 poos i want to try! my poor bank account!
    also,if you have moisturizers or oils in your poo wouldn't it "build up" after a while and need clarifying or is that only if it has cones.......?
    I think following protein with moisture is a good idea in general, regardless of hair types. It would be more important with coarser textures- how much moisture would likely depend on how much protein is in the shampoo. The other shampoo that was mentioned is one of my favorites. I found that it cleansed incredibly well, but did not feel drying like many low-poos can.

Generally cones are the biggest issue as far as buildup. Some people will have issues with other ingredients, but that;s going to be something you pick up through trial and error. For that reason alone, the Renpure Organics will be good to keep on hand because it contains cocamidopropyl betaine, a non-sulfate surfacant that can remove all kinds of stuff from the hair, including cones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    since you have used both dermorganics argan oil shampoo and one n only argan ...my question is this;
    the smell of one n only...is that THEIR specific scent,which i love, or is it the smell of argan oil?...does
    dermorganics smell about the same?...

i did used to notice when i used the one n only that after washing my hair was very dry feeling while wet but once
    my hair dried,my hair felt very moisturized...any reason why that may be.

i think i will grab renpure(if i can find it again) AND the
    curls creamy curl cleanser ...and maybe look at the dermorganics.?!
    The scent for the One n' Only is their specific scent. If you pick up the Curl cleanser you can skip the Renpure Organics- both can remove cones and other product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    i bought the curls creamy cleanser and the conditioner and washed my hair tonight. i reallllllllly like it and love the smell. my hair curled up nicely and i didn't even add any product when i got out of the shower. it is great!!!!!
    hope it keeps up(sometimes its nice for a couple days and then......downhill).
    ok...question....with the curls creamy cleanser..is this a
    sulfate free shampoo,a low poo, a no poo, a cleansing conditioner or what?i'm not sure what seperates all of the above....all this stuff still confuses me somewhat....
    also will i need a stronger "shampoo" occasionally if this would cause buildup(and what would cause build up?the moisturizers in the cleanser or from other products i use
    afterwards)...as long as i use cg products should i be buildup free with this cleanser?
    clueless over here...i'll "get it"eventually! heh....
    I would consider the Curls cleanser a cleansing conditioner (creamy texture, no lather, ingredients added specifically to cleanse hair). You will have to see how your hair does with it to determine if you need to rotate in something stronger. But in terms of the ingredients, this should be fine for removing product buildup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Thanks Corrina777 for your help!

quick question(i know....again.....) but if the cleansing conditioner
    tends to not be enough(though hopefully it is)...would the next step
    up be like maybe the renpure(that isn't a cleansing conditioner right,its a low poo?)

i just spritzed my hair with water this morning and my curls curled
    right up...don't know if i will be able to continue with no product after getting out of the shower or not,will have to see. definately less frizz than with a sulfate shampoo,big diff!
    Thanks Corrina777 for your help!

quick question(i know....again.....) but if the cleansing conditioner
    tends to not be enough(though hopefully it is)...would the next step
    up be like maybe the renpure(that isn't a cleansing conditioner right,its a low poo?)

i just spritzed my hair with water this morning and my curls curled
    right up...don't know if i will be able to continue with no product after getting out of the shower or not,will have to see. definately less frizz than with a sulfate shampoo,big diff!

Yes, the Renpure (or the DermOrganic) would be the next step up in terms of a stronger cleanser. I know that my hair can survive exclusively on cleansing conditioners. I used Deva Curl No-Poo for almost 2 straight years. Nothing else (it was before I learned about CG).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file