Transitioning Teen

Naturally_JaiiNaturally_Jaii Registered Users Posts: 7
Hey everyone, my name's Jazmyne and im 17 and I need your experienced guidance. I've tried going natural before but I went about it the wrong way and didn't have the patience to keep it up. But I would like to try again and actually put some effort into my hair. I dont know where to start or what to do. I have no support at all so all the help I can get is beneficial. Thanks soo much :)

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
    Welcome! Transitioning isn't easy but it's well worth the wait. For starters, I suggest doing a lot reading about transitioning and natural hair. It's always good to familiarize yourself with techniques and terminology. There's tons of info on the Internet about natural hair and the process of transitioning. Set goal for your hair and what you want to accomplish for your hair. One thing I can say is keep your hair moisturized and clean. How often you trim your hair is up to you. Good luck!
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
      Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
      Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
      6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
    • curlee13curlee13 Registered Users Posts: 9
      Hi
      So happy to help. It's late so I'll feed little bits @ a time. Tell me when you need more I've been a CG for14 months, am 56 yrs old and my hair is hydrated & growing, finally. It's down to neck loose curls. We can tend to have a variety of curl patterns all over head so embrace & be aware
      Use t- shirt to dry, towels create frizz. Don't use shampoos w- sulfates. I use a conditioner to co- wash, then jessiecurl Shea butter conditioner after rinse out & add bit more to leave in. Finally I use totally twisted gel all over & let air dry. After dry bend over & scrunch hard gel set up. It will take out the crunch & leave you w/ soft curls shake head & lift upright to let curls fall naturally. Hope this helps for now. What type of curls do you have?
      curl co
    • Naturally_JaiiNaturally_Jaii Registered Users Posts: 7
      Well i have no idea what kind of curls i have. I dont really know how to tell but i never that to try the tshirt instead of a towel. It helps alot thanks so much.

• muhomuho Registered Users Posts: 3
      The best loose curls, but do not bother hair at such a young age :)
      znakomita folia bąbelkowa | folia stretch do pakowania
      I wouldn't focus too much on the hair typing system. You won't know your hair's true texture until all the chemicals are gone from your hair. Just focus right now on finding products that work best for your hair. Coconut oil is a universal product that's easy to find. For best results use coconut oil that's USDA certified organic. I also recommend the Shea Moisture line because it's easy to find (Target and Walgreens). If you have a Vitamin Shoppe in your area you can also find natural hair products for a reasonable price. If you have any other questions you can always send me a message or post a reply :)
        Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
        Well I use the Shea Moisture products and I love them and they smell so good. I was wondering about the Hemp Seed Oil...does it help grow your hair too?

That's great! I never read up much about hemp seed oil. However, I do use products that contain that oil. I don't think my hair growth has increased because of it. My hair grows at its normal rate
        • DollieDollie Registered Users Posts: 1
          Hey Im 14 and transitioning and soo excited! Right now i just wash my hair in seperate sections with coconut milk organix line :laughing6::laughing6::laughing6:
        • RingletTeenLoveRingletTeenLove Registered Users Posts: 116
          I'm 14 transitioning too!! Almost done:). Message me Guy's:))

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using CurlTalk App
        • GlitttergirrrlGlitttergirrrl Registered Users Posts: 13
          What does transitioning mean?
        • confusedcurls26confusedcurls26 Registered Users Posts: 81
          - it means changing over from chemically processed/damaged hair to natural hair .

Sent from my SPH-M580 using CurlTalk App
        • NapturallyNapturally Registered Users Posts: 1
          I'm 15 and I've been natural since October 2011.

I have 4b/4c hair ,it's pretty short and is just above the collar when straight but...it's so hard! What are your favorite moisturizing products? Has anyone tried Kinky Curly or the Motions Naturally You products? Favorite tips and tricks and what do you do to your hair before bed?
        • GlitttergirrrlGlitttergirrrl Registered Users Posts: 13
          Ohhh thank you confusedcurls26 well, I'm definitely transitioning. Have been for three weeks with Deva Curl :)
        • confusedcurls26confusedcurls26 Registered Users Posts: 81
          Napturally wrote: »

I have 4b/4c hair ,it's pretty short and is just above the collar when straight but...it's so hard! What are your favorite moisturizing products? Has anyone tried Kinky Curly or the Motions Naturally You products? Favorite tips and tricks and what do you do to your hair before bed?
          hey, have you tried the L.O.C method ? If you moisturize your hair in this order L=Leave-in O=Oil C=Cream ; chances are your hair wont be hard . Hope this helps ! :)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using CurlTalk App
        • NaeShelleNaeShelle Registered Users Posts: 49

We're about the same age & have the same hair type (though I'm more on the 4b side), and, I *heart* just about every Motions product I've come across. Personally, I stick with their products that aren't texture-specific, but, I've heard nothing but good things about their new Naturally You products.

I'm a bit of a product mixtress (I have to be - I have no job!), so, I have a "serum" that I make, but, it's on my blog. Anywho, I my favorite moisturizing product is the good, old-fashioned grease that I used when I was relaxed (it's not bad for your hair, as long as you're smart about using it), along with water and leave-in conditioner (Motions Nourishing leave-in).

Because my hair is so thick, I'm extra sure to pull it tight; not tight enough to break it (I'm transitioning after all), but, because 4b hair is prone to shrinkage, I pull it tight enough to all it to hold the different protective styles I like doing (mainly bantu knots & French Braids.

My favorite "trick" is water. I know that's every natural/transitioning lady's trick, but, I notice that with my 4b hair it is MUCH easier to style and deal with when wet (then again, it could be because I've still got relaxed hair in there), though, it must be detangled properly (and, a liberal amount of the leave-in is key when detangling, especially because it's prone to shrinkage and, thus, tangling).

And, before bed, I just throw it back in braids (either the loose braids we did as a child on our dolls or French Braids) and let it be.
          Hope I helped. :)
          December 21, 2011 - Last Relaxer
          April 1, 2012 - Transitioning Began
          March 30, 2013 - Big Chopped

High Density. Medium-Low Porosity. Kinky. Shoulder Length.

*Excuse my Texas.
          I'm about four months into my transition. Ugh its going sooooooooo slow and I'm soooooo impatient lol. But ima push thru it. But I'm glad that there are more teens transitioning to. Keep us all posted and don't give up. We're almost there

• WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185

I know I'm starting to feel old now... about 10 years ago when I was your age I can't remember a single black girl in the school who wore her natural hair. I remember one with some silky waved edges because her relaxer never took all the way. That was the closest I ever saw to natural hair at school..

It's cool that people your age can appreciate your own hair enough to let it grow out, it took me until I was in my early 20s.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
        Emoji
        Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
        Drop image/file