Henna Pics

EmsMomEmsMom Registered Users Posts: 13
I am considering using Henna on my daughter's hair. She has 3c/4a (I believe) and would love to wear it down, curly but she has a ton of shrinkage. (She is 12.5 - much older than my avatar pic). I have heard that henna can loosen the curl a bit and the color would be a bonus for her. Does any have pics they can share that shows their color after using Henna? I saw on one website they have a burgundy color that I thought might be pretty. Also, if you have used it to loosen your curl, I would love to see pics of that as well.

Thank you!

Comments

• SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    My hair is hennaed but it is naturally a light brown/red with lots and lots of grey.

You can see the shade is a natural kind of red, though it is a lot brighter than most natural redheads. It would look a lot more natural if it was on darker hair. I would be VERY WARY of any henna that says its another colour than natural red. Do your research before putting potentially harmful chemicals on your daughter. Some so called 'hennas' that say they are another colour have added mineral salts which can be awful. Make sure you get the body art quality type that is used to do temporary tatoos on hands feet etc. This is also known as BAQ henna.

Ever since I started my curly girl journey my hair has started growing in STRAIGHT. Yes indeed I have about 8 inches of straight healthy hair, my 3b curls all on the ends have turned into 3a curls.

Being a curly will be a thing of the past and I'm having a really hard time dealing with this fact. I believe that the henna is part of the reason, but the main reason is that I am going through menopause. I never had curly hair until I went into puberty, so this makes sense. Unfortunately, all the changes with my hair colour and conditioner washing and care routine all changed at the same time so I am not 100% sure.

The fact the I still have my old curls and they are a bit looser makes sense to me that it is the menopause and not all henna causing the straightness.

Now that I am finally knowing how to work with what would have been gorgeous curls, I am now losing them. :(

You don't know what you got til it's gone. I'm so sad!

Sorry I should probably whine in my own thread.
  • EmsMomEmsMom Registered Users Posts: 13
    Your color is stunning as are your curls!! Absolutely gorgeous!!

I know what you mean about your hair changing. I had stick straight hair as a kid and young adult. I could sleep in curlers, and I would just wake up with a little "wave" in my hair. Ever since I had my daughter I actually have a little curl to my hair now. That would be hair to go from curly to having the hair grow in straight. Not whining at all!!! I enjoyed reading your post.

I am completely new to the whole "henna" thing. I was thinking of a burgundy/purplie color -- does henna come in different colors? I don't want anything too bold - my daugher is 12 and I think a gradual color would be good.

Thanks again for posting and sharing your pic and information!!
  • SayoonSayoon Registered Users Posts: 432 Curl Neophyte
    my hair is naturally very black no shades even blue sometimes but after henna it became brownish these pics r after 6 or 7 times of hennaing

My hair is still dark but it has very nice shades of brown and red especially under the light, I recommend it for u n ur kid u will feel very unique :)
  • vikkivmavikkivma Registered Users Posts: 14
    Regarding the curl loosening (sorry, no current pics), I have to say that I hated it. I loved the color, but my hair went from a gorgeous, bouncy 2c/3a to a drab and fluffy 2a. I would have rebounded, but I had to re-color every 6 weeks.

It did loosen the curl, but not in a way that was all that nice. Still, loved the color.

Also, if she gets bored with it, she'll have to wait until all of it grows out, because dyeing over henna'd hair can be a nightmare. I remember being a teen and I wanted my hair a different color every week. Often henna doesn't produce the "wow" results that a darker-haired girl is hoping for.
  • Touch.of.inkTouch.of.ink Registered Users Posts: 297
    EmsMom wrote: »
    Does any have pics they can share that shows their color after using Henna? I saw on one website they have a burgundy color that I thought might be pretty. Also, if you have used it to loosen your curl, I would love to see pics of that as well.

Thank you!

My avatar shows me with henna (Light Mountain is the brand, Mahogany is the color). I'm normally light brown/ashy. I've been using henna for 18 years.

My hair loves henna! It gets stronger and thicker. I've never noticed henna doing anything to straighten my hair, but I suspect that's because I have very fine/protein craving hair.

If you decide to go for it, may I offer a suggestion? Take your henna, distilled water, a glass mixing bowl and wooden spoon (to mix the henna) to your stylist. (No metal of any kind should touch the henna, which is why I recommend bringing all your own supplies, even the distilled water.) Call ahead to see if your stylist is willing/able to henna your daughter's hair. Then watch what your stylist does.

Your daughter's hair looks very thick and curly, and I'm afraid that even at 12, she may not have the patience to deal with the whole mess of putting it in, making sure you don't miss any spots, and then rinse, rinse, rinsing it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair: Very fine, normal porous (Finally! Yay!), normal elasticity, loves high dew points.
    Daily: Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo, GVP CB, Cure Care conditioner, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls products, Spiral Solutions products.
    Monthly: Henna
    As needed: John Masters Organics Sea Mist
    HG Product: BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee (aka BRHG. It even has HG in the name!)
    Last perm: 12/10/10
    CG since: 3/9/12
    Last haircut: 4/17/12
    Gossamer Fringe (my blog)
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    If you decide to go for it, may I offer a suggestion? Take your henna, distilled water, a glass mixing bowl and wooden spoon (to mix the henna) to your stylist. (No metal of any kind should touch the henna, which is why I recommend bringing all your own supplies, even the distilled water.) Call ahead to see if your stylist is willing/able to henna your daughter's hair. Then watch what your stylist does.

Really? I never read that anywhere. I always mix with metal spoon in a stainless steel bowl and never had any issues. What is the problem with using metal bowl and spoon?
  • smasters467smasters467 Registered Users Posts: 527
    Unless your stylist is familiar with henna, I wouldn't even bring it up to him/her. Most stylists are taught that henna is bad, bad, bad, and kills hair. They aren't trained in BAQ henna at all, only henna that contains PPD.

I have't used any henna in close to a year, but I used it for probably 2 years. It loosened my curl, very, very, slightly. Not enough that anyone but me would notice. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but having a 12 1/2 year old sit around for hours with heavy mud in their hair seems a bit much. Henna is a very time consuming process, between the time it takes to prepare it, and the amount of time it needs to be left on to have good results, your looking between 6-10 hours. At least 6 for prep, and another 2-4 on your head, some ladies even sleep with it in their hair for maximum results. It's also a big pain in the butt to apply, especially for thick hair. Henna makes a very thick paste, so you have to been very careful to get every single hair, you can't rub it around like traditional hair dye.
    I don't think I'd take the time to do it to my daughters hair, and I don't think at 12 she would have been very happy about sitting through it. Anything henna touches, it will stain, so being very careful is crucial.
    If she's wanting to wear her hair down, why not try stretched styles like braid outs, or twist outs? There are a lot of techniques that allow curls to be stretched.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file