Share your baby expertise, please! I'm clueless!

cajuncurlscajuncurls Registered Users Posts: 270
My baby's due in July and I don't have a single baby item or a clue!
The last time I shopped for baby gear was 13 years ago and a lot's changed ... I barely recognize the stuff in the baby section now!
Here's my situation - remember I'm starting from scratch - and I'm trying to buy as little as possible because I won't be reusing anything. I will return to work full-time after six weeks, I'm hoping to breastfeed for at least six months, a year if possible. (New to that, too.) I need to know:
What's the best bassinet/portable crib to keep next to the bed so breastfeeding will be easier for the longest time?
What's the best nipples to use if I'm going between breast and bottle?
Best breast pump?
What kind of breast, bottle schedule did you keep your baby on to prepare him for your return to work?
Do I need a swing? A bouncer that vibrates?
I really need to start shopping (if it takes me two months to clean out a closet how am I supposed to prepare for a newborn in six?) and I need to know where to start! Thanks!
Nicole
Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
- Eagles

age.png

age.png

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    What's the best bassinet/portable crib to keep next to the bed so breastfeeding will be easier for the longest time?
    Hard to say. Depends on how much room you have, how much money you want to spend, whether or not you want to closleep. And you may not know a bunch of these things until after baby comes. I don't recommend a traditional bassinet. A waste of maoney and space, IMO. Something like a cosleeper or a pack n play with a bassinet attachment that you can also use as a travel bed and will also work when the child is older is a better bet. Or you can get an inexpensive moses basket to start with and then figure out what to get.

What's the best nipples to use if I'm going between breast and bottle?

Babies are very picky so whatever you get, don't buy more than a few at first. When you breast feed, you want to use slow flow/newborn nipples no matter how old your child is, because if the milk comes too fast and too easy from the nipple they will prefer that to the breast. In my experience the wide mouth nipples work better. Avent, Dr. Browns and Playtex Natural Latch are some types that I know have worked well.

Best breast pump?
    If you are going back to work, you definitely need something really good. Either rent a hospital-grade pump or get a double elctric pump such as the Medela Pump in Style or an Ameda.

What kind of breast, bottle schedule did you keep your baby on to prepare him for your return to work?
    I introduced a bottle at something like 4 weeks and gave one bottle a day until I went back to work at 6 months. I pumped when he was getting the bottle. My initial schedule was as follows

6 AM BFbaby. He goes back to sleep, I shower and get ready.
    7:45 AM BF baby and leave for work
    Pump 3 times at work, for about 20 minutes each time
    6 pm. Get home and BF baby
    7:30 pm BF baby before his bedtime
    4 am Baby wakes briefly to BF
    He took around 3 bottles while I was gone. Once my milk supply dipped a bit, I added a pump session at around 11 pm, right before I went to bed. That increased the amount I had for him. On weekends and days I was home, I BF on demand.

You can get a lot of good breastfeeding info at kellymom.com. Also your local lactation consultant and La Leche League chapter are good resources you should familiarize yourself with.

Do I need a swing? A bouncer that vibrates?
    Maybe. Some babies love them and they are lifesavers. Others are not so fond of them. You never know. If you have any friends that have them to try out, I recommend that. If not, wait till your baby comes and at least try them out in the store.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    I had my daughter 12 years ago and have nothing from then, so we're having to get all new things for this one due in April (and likely the last time too).

We're definately getting the new-fangled pack n plays, with the bassinet and changing tray (flip up). This will serve as the bassinet the first couple of months when the baby's sleeping in our bedroom, and we're not buying a seperate changing table or dresser either. Then of course the play yard part can be used for a couple of years.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I just bumped a thread I made called "registry suggestions" that may help you out.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    if you're not completely against it check out yard sales and second hand shops We have store around here called Once upon a Child I'm pretty sure it's a national chain and you can sometimes find good deals there. You could also check ebay for some deals. We have this radio station around here that has what the call an elephant shop and people post things they want to sell so I check there a lot . You don't have to buy all new if you have any family or friends that have had babies in the past few years see if you can borrow stuff from them.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Registered Users Posts: 270
    You ladies are wonderful! :D
    I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, considering the only baby item at my house is the diaper sample I got at my ob's!
    I know it'll all come together (even if I have to talk my mom and sister into doing it for me).
    geeky i have your schedule saved on my desktop. it just may save my life!
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    geeky gives the best advice on the breastfeeding and work routine. i've been doing it since may, and while i had some challenges when i first returned to work, it's been SO SO SO worth it.
    i suggest avent bottles, but do what works for you and baby. owen got his first bottle from ryan(dh) in the evenings when i was cooking dinner i think around 3 or 4 weeks. i would pump every morning while owen played on his playmat. whatever came out he got in the bottle at first. just so he got used to it. ryan enjoyed being able to feed him, i liked that he was getting used to the bottle, and it gave me some practice letting down to the breast pump. all good stuff.

baby due in july? yard sales yard sales yard sales!!!!! if you want a pack n play for your baby, buy it there. they can sleep in that in your room until they are ready for the crib in their bedroom. swings, strollers, bouncies, high chairs, playmats,etc. all of them you can find at garage sales. and they all have washable covers, so you're all good. the only things i'd buy new would be the carseat (i actually used my sister in laws because i knew she didn't get into an accident etc). crib i'd get from once upon a child or some kind of consignment store. but you can definately hold off on that until they are older if you need to. i was shocked at how little i used stuff when owen was little. it just sat there until he was big enough to use it.

then let family give you giftcards, and you can use that towards pump, bottles, diapers, you name it!
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I would get a copy of the book Baby Bargains. I found it to be really helpful.

I didn't know squat about babies, and I almost had a meltdown the first time I looked around BabiesRus. This book really gives you the lowdown on what's necessary and what isn't, and gives you tips on how to save money.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file