CurlTalk

Do You Use a Hair Dryer? Do You Diffuse?

CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
I'm wondering how many of us tightly curled ladies dry/diffuse, and if so, what are you using? I haven't been happy with my diffuser - it's one of the Revlon universal ones that I attach to my Chi dryer...I dunno, I just don't like it that much and prefer to air dry. However, my hair wet (which takes a day+ to dry) all over my shoulders is not the business.

I know that @Naturalista diffuses, but who else? Or does everyone mostly air dry?

If you diffuse, what color are you? (Okay that was just a joke.)
People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown

Comments

• artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    I diffuse, esp in the winter months. I think I might use the same Revlon diffuser you use (is it the tourmaline one?). My blowdryer is the SuperSolano 3500 lite. I love it. I do tend to air dry in the warmer months but if needed I will air dry as much as I can then diffuse the rest. Afterward, I will stretch the roots for volume and shape if I want.

LOL@ your joke. A mess.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    I have this one - Styling Accessories Revlon Professional Ceramic Diffuser Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts.

I don't like it and only the middle part is ceramic, and now (granted it's old) the middle lifts up while I diffuse, lol. It's so bootleg, I really need a new one.
    People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    I air dry, I don't know how to diffuse, there is a definite technique to it. I end up with shruken matted hair. Luckily I dry within 10 to 12 hours so I can deal with that.

vIa tHiS rAgEdY aSs pHoNe
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
    I have this one - Styling Accessories Revlon Professional Ceramic Diffuser Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts.

I don't like it and only the middle part is ceramic, and now (granted it's old) the middle lifts up while I diffuse, lol. It's so bootleg, I really need a new one.

Yep that's the one. Ceramic, not tourmaline. My blowdryer is tourmaline...

I plan on getting a Solano-specific diffuser down the line now that I know AveYou sells them. But the Revlon one works just fine for now.

Chi dryers don't have a lot of settings on it, so that maybe why it's not the greatest experience for you...I chose my dryer because it has multiple settings, y'know beyond low and high. And because of the tourmaline.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    artemis513 wrote: »

Yep that's the one. Ceramic, not tourmaline. My blowdryer is tourmaline...

I plan on getting a Solano-specific diffuser down the line now that I know AveYou sells them. But the Revlon one works just fine for now.

Chi dryers don't have a lot of settings on it, so that maybe why it's not the greatest experience for you...I chose my dryer because it has multiple settings, y'know beyond low and high. And because of the tourmaline.

I'll be honest (and I should have clarified in my OP) - I think my ish is just old. I got my Chi in like...2007 I think when I still had a relaxer and the diffuser in like 2009 but that metal piece coming off while I dry my hair definitely isn't cool, lol. And my Chi is cracked on the body and the back vent is half missing. It's really beat the hell up. I'm going to look up the Solano dryers, thanks!
    I air dry, I don't know how to diffuse, there is a definite technique to it. I end up with shruken matted hair. Luckily I dry within 10 to 12 hours so I can deal with that.

vIa tHiS rAgEdY aSs pHoNe

I tried diffusing with shorter hair...and it really gave me tangles. I think it's a bit better though as my hair is longer and I hold the dryer pretty far away from my head. It just takes forever to dry my hair.

- AmberBrown
    I'll be honest (and I should have clarified in my OP) - I think my ish is just old. I got my Chi in like...2007 I think when I still had a relaxer and the diffuser in like 2009 but that metal piece coming off while I dry my hair definitely isn't cool, lol. And my Chi is cracked on the body and the back vent is half missing. It's really beat the hell up. I'm going to look up the Solano dryers, thanks!

Ahh, ok. No prob. Yeah, it's definitely time to re-up. Doing so will decrease the drying time for sure.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Wait...diffusing gave you tangles?? *iz confused*
    My Fotki
    My Blog

Yesh! It was when my hair was much shorter though...I dunno what happened but my roots were very matted...my hair is below shoulder length now curly and I don't have that issue, it just like...doesn't dry my hair.

I remember I used the same technique as blackonyx, and when I detangled my hair was pizzed at me.

- AmberBrown

Yesh! It was when my hair was much shorter though...I dunno what happened but my roots were very matted...my hair is below shoulder length now curly and I don't have that issue, it just like...doesn't dry my hair.

I remember I used the same technique as blackonyx, and when I detangled my hair was pizzed at me.

Ohhh. LOL, yeah that's why. She was doing way too much in that video. You're just supposed to put the diffuser on the hair and leave it there for a few seconds. I like to count to 30 and then move it. I also set a timer to help me stay focused on diffusing for a full 15-20 min (*gets easily distracted*).

Have you ever watched KinkyKurlyQueen? She has a video on how she does wash n go's and she diffuses. I love her channel. Her approach to hair is simple and she is pleasant to watch.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Yeap, I'm subbed to her blog. I don't have the tangles issue anymore and I don't diffuse like BO after it worked so terribly, lol. I was just saying what happened previously.

- AmberBrown
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I diffuse because I do not like how my hair feels after air drying. It is always crunchy-ish for some reason. I use this dryer:

rv484_1.jpg

Came with diffuser and concentrator nozzle.
    Yeap, I'm subbed to her blog. I don't have the tangles issue anymore and I don't diffuse like BO after it worked so terribly, lol. I was just saying what happened previously.

Yeah, I got that. Was suggesting her vids because she has long hair and diffuses.
    My Fotki
    My Blog

Yeah, I got that. Was suggesting her vids because she has long hair and diffuses.

Ah, okay, I just checked her blog and I see she uses the Conair diffuser attachment.

- AmberBrown
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    Haha! Yes I live and die by my diffuser. I use the cup type one found at any BSS for cheap. Universal attachment.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • KetchupKetchup Posts: 375Registered Users
    I diffuse if I need to be somewhere ASAP and don't want to leave the house with dripping wet (also white sometimes) head.
    I never diffuse until completely dry, but till mostly damp (and/or most of the white is gone ). I got one of those massive universal head attachments from Sally's. It's just called diffuser XL Pro by Diva styling.
    I sort of go round my head in a circular direction for about 20secs on warm and then go around again on cool.Otherwise I air dry.

✌📲
  • nada101nada101 Posts: 125Registered Users
    I usually air dry but at times I use my Bedhead diffuser or I sit under a hooded dryer.
    Hair Stats
    Started Transition: March 2008
    Ended Transition: March 2010
    Transitioned for: 2 years

event.png
  • suns4i6esuns4i6e Posts: 77Registered Users
    I diffuse each and every time I style my hair, winter, spring, summer, fall. I can't stand having wet hair close to the scalp and I don't especially like the way my hair looks airdried. I use the T3 TourmalineFeatherweight Hair Dryer with diffuser.

t3-featherweight-hair-dryers-120x120.jpg
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I got one of those universal diffusers from Sally's in December and I've used it occasionally. The good thing about it is that makes my fine thin hair appear a little fuller and I get more volume with a diffuser although I usually only diffuse until its 50%-75% dry. I'm not sure I'll do it with the weather warming up but I know I'll continue to do it in the winter months.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    I have a diffuser (something from Conair that I got at Costco) but I only use it if I'm in a hurry and it's the middle of winter. I don't want to deal with frozen hair that snaps off!
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Posts: 193Registered Users
    I only diffuse if I'm in a rush. I haven't noticed any differences in the way my hair feels or in the look of the actual coil in my hair--BUT it does tend to give me a little more shrinkage. I prefer wide/flat diffuser attachments over the longer and more narrow ones.

My biggest challenge is trying to use the concentrator nozzle to stretch my hair after diffusing. I think that requires some hair dryer diva magic that I don't have.
  • HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users
    suns4i6e wrote: »
    I use the T3 Tourmaline Featherweight Hair Dryer with diffuser.

t3-featherweight-hair-dryers-120x120.jpg

This is the dryer I use to diffuse, too (I love it). The actual diffuser attachment is just a generic, universal diffuser that I got from my local, beauty supply store for like $5. I only diffuse in the winter and/or if I'm in a rush...
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I do, sometimes, because some stylers make my hair too stretched so I use the diffuser to scrunch it up as it dries. I have the Conair Pro....it's the cup/bowl type.
    Thanks ladies for the input! I ended up getting a T3 blow dryer...it's nice but my hair still won't dry in a timely fashion, lol. I was in a hurry a bit before though, I'm going to watch more videos on YT for tips. I am most likely just impatient...

- AmberBrown
    Hmm, maybe consider blotting with a curl-friendly towel, like a flour sack towel or something first?
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    I have one of those towels...like the pink fuzzy ones - I forget the company's name but they are especially for hair.

I will say though - I think this dryer/diffuser dries my hair softer than my old one. I like it.

- AmberBrown
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    I actually sat under my hot tools table top hair dryer today after washing and putting product in my hair. I have to say I may be doing this a lot more often. I'm so over leaving the house with wet flat hair and waiting all day and more for it to dry. I sat under the hood dryer for a total of 15 mins and towel blotted the ends, hair was completely dry in 1-2 hours after I left the house and is less frizzy at roots than normal!
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    I'm wondering if you still love your SuperSolano 3500 lite.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008