Hightlights cause dryness?

LindsayLooLindsayLoo Registered Users Posts: 3
When i asked years ago about getting highlights in my hair my stylist said that it would dry my hair out to bad , if this true ?

im thinking about it again to hide my grey that is coming in , im only 22! I wanna hide my grey but not get rid of my natural red color , so i thought highlights would work?

suggestions?

Comments

• shrinkstershrinkster Registered Users Posts: 99
    Ouidad says "that no matter how gentle your hair color formulation is, the process is still going to dehydrate curly hair." She suggest a DT 3 days before hair coloring and then 10 days after.

I get my hair highlighted (to cover gray hair) at Devachan and it doesn't appear to be drying out my hair but I do a DT every week. My colorist said that it's very important that they not put foil and then sit you under the hair dryer with the foil. At Devachan they use something that looks like tissue instead of foil.

The highlights are better than an all over color because that has to be done about every six weeks, where highlights can last longer. I get mine done every 4 months.

Hope this helps.
    Hair: Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Low elasticity
    Curl Pattern:3C

Poo: KC Come Clean (once/wk)
    Clarify: Ouidad Water Works (once/month)
    RO: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    LI: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    Gels: HETT and FSG
    DT: CJCR (once/wk)
    PT: Yogurt with coconut oil and avocado oil (once/month)
  • LindsayLooLindsayLoo Registered Users Posts: 3
    Yes! very helpful , Thanks :)!
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    LindsayLoo wrote: »
    When i asked years ago about getting highlights in my hair my stylist said that it would dry my hair out to bad , if this true ?

im thinking about it again to hide my grey that is coming in , im only 22! I wanna hide my grey but not get rid of my natural red color , so i thought highlights would work?

suggestions?

I have red hair and gray. I wish I was told the truth about henna years ago when I first heard about it in the 80's. I spent years of colouring with the best colour line I could get my hands on. Professional, low damage, etc. But it still damaged because natural curl means naturally sensitive and easily damaged.

How much money I spent! How much I struggled to grow my hair longer, to no avail!!!

I finally did the research on henna and am absolutely thrilled with the results. AND THE PRICE!! I figure I am spending $2 per application, which I do myself every 3 to 4 weeks.

My hair is stronger, shiny and beautiful. The grays are covered better than any other colour I've ever used. The colour does NOT fade AT ALL. All that AND the length is longer than it's ever been now. My hair no longer breaks off at the ends. It's like a miracle.

Seriously, if you are thinking of getting into colouring, the only way this is not a good idea is if you don't like the colour of red the henna always is. A copper gold shade. If you like the colour, using anything but henna is totally stupid!!
  • LindsayLooLindsayLoo Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks! Red is GREAT because im an a red head. its kind of an alburn color . Are there any links where i can read more about Henna? i.e what it is exactly , where to buy it, and how to apply it .
    THANKS!
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

This is a good one. If there is an East Indian community where you live, their grocery stores carry all kinds of henna. Make sure to get body art quality.

It is actually the ground up leaf of a plant. Totally natural!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file