Pregnant, swollen feet--what shoes to wear?

HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
My poor feet. They are starting to swell really badly. Most of the time, I can get my shoes on in the mornings, because I have been laying down while sleeping, and they aren't that swollen. This morning, however, I had ONE pair of shoes that I could barely squeeze on my feet. I swear, it was like trying to wrap my own sausage. :shock:

What do you do in this situation? Normally, I would think to buy shoes a couple of sizes bigger, but they are swollen ALL OVER (even the bottoms of my feet--I no longer have an arch) that I'm not sure that would work. I am doing everything I can do reduce swelling during the day, but obviously it isn't working.

Short of coming to work in my slippers, any advice on what shoes to wear?
GuardianB wrote:
Southern gals rock :!:

Comments

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    My feet haven't gotten too bad yet, but my socks are leaving a dent in my ankles at the end of the day.

They're not the prettiest, but I bought some Bjorndal shoes (mules, low clogs) and they are soooo comfortable. Mine are leather and have a bit of traction in the sole, so I don't slip, but I love that I don't have to tie or wiggle my foot into them- just slide them on. They're reasonably priced too. (they're similar to the Zing style below) I can see where they'd help if your feet are prone to swelling.

Here are some styles: http://www.rackroomshoes.com/category.asp?category_ID=1000&brand=Bjorndal

Also, are you limiting your salt? drinking plenty of water? trying to elevate your feet as much as possible?
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I was pregnant in the summertime and lived in flip flops. For winter, I'll agree with Spider on the clogs. You don't want anything too tight around your feet or they will just swell even more.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I guess that's why they always say barefoot and pregnant. Sorry your feet are so swollen I didn't have that happen the last time and it hasn't happened yet this time around so I don't have any advice. But I do like the clog idea
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    I wore flip flops and Converse shoes mostly unlaced till the very end. Which was mid-Jan. My feet were huge, I had no ankles. It was weird. I went to my last check up (the day before I had S) in Birk flip flops that I had poked an extra hole in (and you know those shoes are like boats already) and they still left marks on my feet.

Have you tried going with a wide (or even extra wide) shoe in your current size?
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    I had Fred Flinstone feet. UGLY!
    It was weird.
    I wore sandals. If I was pregnant in the winter, I don't know what I'd do. I'd try socks with sandals or clogs.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • StephSStephS Registered Users Posts: 352
    Crocs! :P

Only now I won't wear much else.....
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    Spider wrote:
    Also, are you limiting your salt? drinking plenty of water? trying to elevate your feet as much as possible?

Yes, yes, and yes. I have a banker box underneath my desk that I keep my feet on at work. I am also sleeping with my feet elevated on pillows, and I sleep with an ace bandage wrapped around my feet and ankles to help with the swelling. I don't know what else to do. :cry:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Oh, and one other thing--I have to dress up quite a bit for work, so I'm looking for something that will look okay with a dress/skirt as well. I may be asking for too much, but I thought I'd try.....
    GuardianB wrote:
    It was weird.
    I wore sandals. If I was pregnant in the winter, I don't know what I'd do. I'd try socks with sandals or clogs.

I also just had to say that Wavezncurlz, every time I see a picture of your little girl in your avatar and signature, I want to kiss her cute little cheeks! She is so precious!! :D
    GuardianB wrote:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Poopsie wrote:
    It was weird.

I also just had to say that Wavezncurlz, every time I see a picture of your little girl in your avatar and signature, I want to kiss her cute little cheeks! She is so precious!! :D

Thanks! And so the flintstone feet were worth it! :)
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • macluanmacluan Registered Users Posts: 326
    I wore a slide/clog type shoe and it worked well with slacks and skirts. I couldn't find one exactly like it but this should give you some idea. I bought it 1/2 size bigger than my normal shoe size and it worked.

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp?&Dept=AdultF&Profile=2&Color=1561&Req=prof&_P0=3330&Nar=-692887524&Page=4&Style=175183&Substyle=396866
    Well, I found a couple of pairs that are pretty comfortable, and I got them in one whole size bigger than what I normally wear.

I got these in black--they feel like slippers! :D :
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2911844?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=aerosoles+matter+of+fact+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

And these in brown:
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/21794151/c/6907.html

And another pair of flat Clarks in tan.

Hopefully they will last me until my feet stop swelling!
    GuardianB wrote:
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Crocs are a great idea! I was pregnant in the summer, so I wore flip flops all the time in the last couple of months. I worked in a bank too - really big on professional dressing, yet I was still like, screw it, I'm wearing flip flops. My boss never said anything to me about it.

Now, being due in June, I'm probably going to wear Crocs (if I'm not barefoot) - thanks for the suggestion StephS!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • jennapeachjennapeach Registered Users Posts: 37
    Second the crocs. Also, I gave birth in Feb of last year and I ended up wearing these for almost the last month of my PG:
    6219-324215-d.jpg
    They were a lifesaver because they came in wide! I even wore them to my last ultrasound, where the head of the Cedars-Sinai maternal disgnosis department told me should couldn't blame me for keeping comfy. :oops:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file