Bleaching Virgin Low Porosity Hair

desperate4curlsdesperate4curls Registered Users Posts: 35
Hi, I've got dark brown, virgin, low porosity hair (as seen in title) and I'd like to get light brown highlights for the summer. I almost never use heat on it either, how bad would it damage my hair?
29 y/o
2bc/Fine/Medium density/WSL/Low Porosity
Low Poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
Rinse Out: Suave Naturals Coconut
Leave In: Tressemme Naturals Conditioner
Loves Proteins!

:hello2:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I've had my low porosity hair highlighted for 30+ years. I think the chemicals they use now are gentler then in the past. I get it done professionally every six weeks when I get my hair cut (which may make a difference.) I don't feel that it damages my hair at all--it's still low porosity.

You need to be careful that you don't end up with "orange" highlights, once it oxidizes. Maybe look for folks that have good color work and ask who they use??
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucyprimroselucyprimrose Registered Users Posts: 166
    I would be careful with highlights. I have naturally dark blonde/light brown hair, and I have had highlights sometimes (half head) which damaged it a bit, but it was ok and I didn't regret it, then!

But the most recent set did some serious damage, left my hair less curly and breaking off. I think it was because they tried to go too light, and left it on too long.

So, especially if your hair is fine, and even if it isn't, tell them that you don't want to go more than one or two shades lighter than your natural colour, and also that because your hair is curly and so probably drier, you don't want to leave it on for the full normal time. It should be ok but bear it mind the colour has to raise up the cuticle to get into the hair, and sometimes it won't go back down, so your hair is left very liable to breakage afterwards because the cortex is exposed. It will leave your hair in worse condition, but the trade off may be worth it if the condition is still ok. But don't try for too much is my advice, because when it does as much damage as the most recent set did to mine it isn't worth it. How much you lift the colour and how long it is on are key. The other advantage of only going a little lighter is you won't get obvious roots. I would have just half a head as it still looks a lot and it is less damage. Not trying to put you off, just saying take care with it, don't let the stylist pressure you into more than you want either.
    UK based wavy :hello2:

Mostly waves, but curls and straight bits too!
    Fine to medium, high porosity, medium density, very low elasticity
    Highlights damage (growing it out), seems to like protein and need lots of moisture.

Cleanse - CJDF, trying out low poos ; Co wash- Uk chemist brands, Urtekram Rose or Aloe, Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse; RO - varies, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Desert Essence Coconut ; Leave in - Keracare natural textures; Sealant - argan oil
    Trying out new things, still looking.
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    You cant know how your hair is going to react to a certain treatment until you actually do it. It sounds like you have low porosity on your side. Maybe your hair will take to lightening just fine.

Dark brown to light brown? Maybe you don't need bleach. Using a 40 volume with a very ashy kind of light brown permanent colour would be my suggestion. Yes, you will be revealing very orangey pigments, but the right blue based brown will counteract that.

If you really want good results with minimum damage, find a colour tech that is trained by the colour line. I was a sales rep and had several really great technicians who had so much training that they knew more than anyone else. I recommend Goldwell or Schwarzkopf as they were the absolute best when I was in the business years ago. I am sure there are other great colour formulations out there today too.

The range of knowledge from hair stylist to hair stylist is actually shocking. Some people really know very little, some know a whole lot. Some will use bleach when not necessary because they want to be quick and sure to get out the orange (by over-processing), when they really could reduce damage a WHOLE lot and get great results with the right ash tone.

Choose your colorist wisely!
  • desperate4curlsdesperate4curls Registered Users Posts: 35
    Yeah Im chickening out now the closer the appointment gets LOL I was really interested in bayalage due to the more natural look, but only one (highly recommended) colorist in town does and he's new to it (I would be the guinea pig).

Thanks for responses ya'll, hopefully it'll be helpful to a braver soul!
    29 y/o
    2bc/Fine/Medium density/WSL/Low Porosity
    Low Poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Rinse Out: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave In: Tressemme Naturals Conditioner
    Loves Proteins!

:hello2:
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Registered Users Posts: 524
    Or maybe it would be even more helpful to look at your natural hair as beautiful just the way it is.

Save yourself the time money and damage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file