Dyeing eyebrows

CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
I'm a woman of a certain age, as the saying goes. My eyebrows didn't get the memo about keeping up with my hair color. I tried eyebrow powder to offset the thinning and graying - actually, Anastasia duo works pretty well. But, I read on NC boards that a few folks were dyeing their eyebrows and it struck me as worth a try. I was particularly interested that one person used Robert Craig. I used Robert Craig to color my hair for a while but it didn't work as well for me as it has for others. I moved on to a different brand of hair color. Meanwhile, I had a bunch of Robert Craig - so yesterday, I dyed my eyebrows with it and the result is FABULOUS.
It was very simple to do (WAY less messy than dyeing your hair). I eyeballed the amount of powder I put in a small glass jar and added just a bit of very warm water; mixed like crazy with a cotton swab and applied to my very clean but not plucked eyebrows. I think plucking right before dyeing would be an insane invitation to irritation if not infection. I VERY SLOWLY & CAREFULLY applied the dye which thickened into a gel like consistency; I left the first coat on for 15 minutes, wiped it off and checked the color; put on another coat for another 5 minutes and it was just right. Doing it gradually made sense because it's better to build up to darker color than to turn out like Groucho Marx right from the get go. I cleaned the area well with soap & water. It felt irritated so once it was dried, I applied Aquaphor (Vaseline would have been fine too).
Dyeing your eyebrows is discouraged by most people and certainly the companies that make hair dye. :angry7: And understandably - since it could cause blindness if someone did it carelessly. It would be foolhardy for anyone to to do this without taking great care to make sure none of the dye got in the eye. Robert Craig specifically advises not to do it. I am not recommending or advising anyone to do it. I am merely describing what I did and how it worked for me. I learned a lot from others on the board who tried this and I'm really pleased with the results.
Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
Icequeen method
CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file