Somewhat of a Noob..need help/advice

FIMFIM Registered Users Posts: 8
Hi,
I needed help figuring out what I can do to return my hair to health and was praying for some you fellow curlies to help me out :). Though I've been having hair issues since forever (and have been on naturallycurly before), I only signed up to this forum/website last week :/. I'm somewhat all over the place--soaking up all the information humanly possible but not really trying to attempt anything too drastic because I don't want to screw up my hair even more (plus I'm trying to look for products for my hair based on the ratings from goodguide.com and ewg skin deep).

So here's my story: two years ago, I decided to get blond/caramelish highlights. When I got bored of that, I dyed my hair black/blue (in the pictures below it's quite obvious that I didn't do quite the spectacular job I was hoping for haha)...anywho, fast forward approximately a 1/2 year later, I stopped washing my hair as much as I used to, (probably about once or twice a week, based on what I had read on this site and plenty others to help maintain and nourish wavy/curly hair), but that totally screwed up my scalp--like, I've always had dandruff--however, whilst transitioning (<--hope that's the right term), I developed scaly, oily, yellowish flakes (Seborrheic dermatitis?), which, when lifted and cleared away, left red patches right at the front (near my forehead) of where one would normally part their hair in the middle and on the sides. I'm still recovering from this (and have doctor's appt tomorrow for it) on the left and middle parts and occasionally on the right part/side.

So fast forward to today: I've always wanted to grow my hair out long, but hadn't been able to until now because it takes forever to grow and because I have little patience. (In the pictures below, which I took today, it took nearly two years since I got the blond highlights, with occasional trims in between). I rarely use any heat products (once in a blue moon) and usually just tie my hair up in a bun or ponytail because I don't want to deal with it :(.

I basically need help in knowing how to build a CG routine. Like what do I do, when, and how do I do it. For starters, I've only done a diy deep treatment (with avocado, mayo, honey, olive oil, and a banana) and IAgirl's protein treatment--both of which have helped out a lot! When I did the DT last week, I used pantene to shampoo and I used Infusium 23's moisturizing conditioner on my hair afterwards. On the other hand, when I did IAgirl's PT this Friday, I switched the pantene for John Master's evening primrose shampoo but kept the conditioner (since I'm still looking for a CG replacement). For styling, I switched from John Freida's Dream Curls Perfecting Spray to Jojoba Oil--which I use only to nurture the waves/curls and to help define them, I guess. I also use a wide tooth comb and my fingers in the shower after conditioning to untangle the knots in my hair (which I had been getting more and more of, until recently).

I'm also not really sure what type I am--I think I listed myself as 2c/3a, but honestly I have no idea what it really is, since my hair in terms of texture is all types of whack, lol. When I come out of the shower someday's there will defined waves or curls or both until it dries. When it dries the hair on top of my head is slightly than the rest of my hair, which will be wavy on the outside while the hair on the inside (of the bottom portion) will be frizzed up curls/waves. It then slowly becomes straighter and straighter (from the oils from my scalp I'm guessing) and really flat until my next wash. (Before I did the treatments, the waves/curls would dry matted, with a lot of frizz and poof, which would later become really flat and knotted).

I apologize for the length of this post, but I really want to learn how to better care for my hair (since I've never really learned how to before) based on in its type and needs, which is kind of hard since I've never really understood my hair, unfortunately. Moreover, I wanted to give you fellow curlies as much info as possible so that you are able to help me.

If you need more info, please let me know :)

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Have to apologize for the lengthy reply. I have a feeling your hair is gonna love CG.

I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was getting highlights and the stylist went way overboard. I didn't notice at first but one day realized my hair was fried.
    More important than your curl pattern is figuring out texture and porosity. Livecurlylivefree.com will give you lots of info on this. But we already know that your hair likes protein so that's a great start.

I can offer some product suggestions based on my own experience, but you will need to see what your hair likes. I have fine hair, but it's very thick, like yours (I suspect you probably have fine hair as well). Do you have long layers? They make a huge difference. I haven't had a "curly haircut" yet. But I've been getting long layers for years and it makes my hair look curlier and less poofy.

To start CG you need to do a final sulfate wash. Make sure that the shampoo has no silicones. I would suggest doing a PT and DT at that time to start getting protein and moisture into your hair.

My favorite co-wash conditioner is Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume. I need lighter products for my scalp because my scalp gets greasy. The rest of may hair needs moisture. For my RO I use something heavier- I alternate between Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture. About half the time I mix in ION Effective Care, to give my hair extra protein.

I cannot co-wash exclusively because my scalp will get very heavy and gunky. I cleanse almost everyday- many people cleanse less frequently. I rotate in cleansing conditioners and a once a week low-poo. I found Shea Moisture to be much less drying than others I've tried.

As weird as it seems, gel has become my styling product of choice. I scrunch in some of my RO as a LI and then use a medium to hard hold gel (LA Looks is a great, cheap brand to try- some people find the Sports Gel drying, so you might want to try Nutra Curl).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • FIMFIM Registered Users Posts: 8
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Have to apologize for the lengthy reply. I have a feeling your hair is gonna love CG.

I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was getting highlights and the stylist went way overboard. I didn't notice at first but one day realized my hair was fried.
    More important than your curl pattern is figuring out texture and porosity. Livecurlylivefree.com will give you lots of info on this. But we already know that your hair likes protein so that's a great start.

I can offer some product suggestions based on my own experience, but you will need to see what your hair likes. I have fine hair, but it's very thick, like yours (I suspect you probably have fine hair as well). Do you have long layers? They make a huge difference. I haven't had a "curly haircut" yet. But I've been getting long layers for years and it makes my hair look curlier and less poofy.

To start CG you need to do a final sulfate wash. Make sure that the shampoo has no silicones. I would suggest doing a PT and DT at that time to start getting protein and moisture into your hair.

My favorite co-wash conditioner is Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume. I need lighter products for my scalp because my scalp gets greasy. The rest of may hair needs moisture. For my RO I use something heavier- I alternate between Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture. About half the time I mix in ION Effective Care, to give my hair extra protein.

I cannot co-wash exclusively because my scalp will get very heavy and gunky. I cleanse almost everyday- many people cleanse less frequently. I rotate in cleansing conditioners and a once a week low-poo. I found Shea Moisture to be much less drying than others I've tried.

As weird as it seems, gel has become my styling product of choice. I scrunch in some of my RO as a LI and then use a medium to hard hold gel (LA Looks is a great, cheap brand to try- some people find the Sports Gel drying, so you might want to try Nutra Curl).

Thanks for your reply...and no, compared to my post, your's wasn't lengthy whatsoever :)..(though I hope you didn't suffer through my initial post lol :/--if so, I'm really sorry). I was actually trying to read through the link you posted before replying back, but it's taking a while lol..I have so much going on skin and hair conditon-wise, that's it's taking me a while sifting through all the information out there :/.

On another note, I'm not sure if I should've submitted my earlier post because after going to the doctor's office for my scaly, dandruff problem, he prescribed me ketoconazole shampoo 2%, which I'm positive is not CG (Active Ingredient: Ketoconazole, USP. Inactive ingredients: purified water, USP; sodium laureth sulfate; disodium laureth sulfosuccinate; cocamide diethanolamide, hydrochloric acid, NF; PEG-120 methyl glucose dioleate; imidurea, NF; sodium chloride, USP; sodium hydroxide, NF; fragrance; and FD&C red No. 40). He said to use the shampoo everyday (I'm using it every other day), by rubbing it into my scalp only and washing it out after 5 minutes; afterwards I can use whatever other shampoo I normally use to clean the rest of my hair. Do you think I should wait until my dandruff has subsided, before starting the CG method? Can I implement CG with my latest routine? Or is there anything out there that will allow me to incorporate CG while I treat my scalp, without the harsh chemicals?

Thanks so much for your feedback Corrina777, you have no idea how much I appreciate it :)))
    Use the shampoo your md prescribed. You can always start adding in other CG products, as well as using the techniques (technique is every bit as important as product). I would just be careful of putting anything near your scalp. Try to keep your conditioner and products focused on the length of your hair so your scalp can heal.

I totally understand about skin issues. I have very bad eczema on my hands (it's a wonder my scalp doesn't give me more grief)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • FIMFIM Registered Users Posts: 8
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Use the shampoo your md prescribed. You can always start adding in other CG products, as well as using the techniques (technique is every bit as important as product). I would just be careful of putting anything near your scalp. Try to keep your conditioner and products focused on the length of your hair so your scalp can heal.

I totally understand about skin issues. I have very bad eczema on my hands (it's a wonder my scalp doesn't give me more grief)

Thanks for the quick reply! As of right now I only have one CG product that I can use while using the prescription shampoo. It's Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose-conditioner. Can I use this as a rinse out conditioner, making sure that while I use it, I'm focusing entirely on the length of my hair?
    You should be able to. Just do your best to avoid your scalp, no matter what products you're using.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file