I think I ruined my hair!

amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
So my hair's been drying straighter and straighter even with no change in product routine. I noticed my sulfate-free 'poo was leaving it feeling dry, so I tried to cut back on the amount of shampooing I was doing and for some reason decided I needed protein ... Today I tried some CJ Curl Fix, followed up with a very generous dose of Curl Rehab, and it feels even drier.

Took a look at the 'poo: protein in the ingredients.:sad11:

Do we think this means I am protein-sensitive ...? If so, what do I do to fix it?
2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't worry! A protein overload can be fixed with tons of moisture!

I'm not sure how much your curls can take, but AOHSR works wonders for me when I overdo it with the protein.

Keep up the moisture rich regimen for a while and see how your hair responds :) after a while, if you're not protein sensitive, you can start incorporating more protein.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You got the right answer for protein overload--if that's what it is. Just add moisture and your hair should be fine.

The straighter hair could mean that you need to rotate your products. Many of us do this because our hair satiates if we use the same product(s) all of the time. This was a problem for me even back in the shampoo/conditioner only days.

I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. I seldom use any one product more then every 5 days.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file