CurlTalk

Washing instructions fury!

WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users

Comments

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I don't. It's misogynistic.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I don't like it, either.
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    Yep, not funny in the least bit.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Wiregirl wrote: »

I agree, I think it's quite funny! Obviously not meant to be taken seriously
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Not funny to me.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    RiMiDa wrote: »
    Wiregirl wrote: »

I agree, I think it's quite funny! Obviously not meant to be taken seriously

I agree. I chuckled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users

I agree.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
    If it had said, "Give it to a woman; she's smarter than you, anyway," I might have liked it better.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    If it had said, "Give it to a woman; she's smarter than you, anyway," I might have liked it better.

Yep!

As it stands, the label in the OP would only be funny if most men DID do their laundry, instead of expecting their wives to do it for them.

I'm not crazy about the Dr Pepper Ten slogan, either.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
    Not only is it misogynistic, but it's also really dismissive of men. Men are totally capable of washing their own clothes.

The whole Hardy har, men are so incapable they need women to do things for them strain of humor is one of the least funny things I can think of that's still considered funny in pop culture.

I loathe gender roles. They're so arbitrary and frankly irrelevant.

--
    Sent from my phone, please excuse typos or brevity.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,470Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Sexist. And insulting to men. My husband does almost all the laundry in our house. :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I would let my husband do the laundry, but I'm pickier about how it gets done, so I do it. I do make him help me fold, though. :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
    I like doing the laundry; I just hate folding it and putting it away.
  • cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Not only is it misogynistic, but it's also really dismissive of men. Men are totally capable of washing their own clothes.

The whole Hardy har, men are so incapable they need women to do things for them strain of humor is one of the least funny things I can think of that's still considered funny in pop culture.

I loathe gender roles. They're so arbitrary and frankly irrelevant.

--

Agreed.

I also hate the commercial for a phone, or phone service, where the man and woman are at dinner and he keeps ignoring her to check the game on his phone. It's so fast, he doesn't get caught!! Please, that is not funny. It's presented in such a *wink, wink* of COURSE he wants to check the score of the game....he's a GUY!

Blerg
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    We can tell Gretchen has all males in her house. I mean how hard is it to wash jeans and t-shirts :clown:
    I kid

In all seriousness, I don't do hubby's dress stuff...he can do his own.
    As I always keep proclaiming...I am not yer maid! lol
    Now when it comes to ironing/starching his new shirts Santa got him, that's a whole nother ball of wax. :lol:
    I'm pretty sure hell would freeze over if I did those new monochromatic something or other shirts :tongue:
    maybe when we were first married

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users

I get the "joke" in the label, but I think that arrangement has worked out pretty well for men.. they get out of doing laundry in many, many households.. men know they're capable of figuring out how to wash clothing, but do they actually wanna do the laundry? Fold it? Put it away?

I also hate those stupid Dr. Pepper commercials.. I hope women make a stink about them too. I don't drink the stuff, but I imagine lots of Dr. Pepper's customers are women.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

Yep. I wonder if it would be funny to some people if it was racist instead.
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

I get the "joke" in the label, but I think that arrangement has worked out pretty well for men.. they get out of doing laundry in many, many households.. men know they're capable of figuring out how to wash clothing, but do they actually wanna do the laundry? Fold it? Put it away?

I also hate those stupid Dr. Pepper commercials.. I hope women make a stink about them too. I don't drink the stuff, but I imagine lots of Dr. Pepper's customers are women.

I'm aware many people still hold traditional gender roles in their own homes, and when kids are raised up with mom doing all the laundry he's likely to expect his wife to do the same, and may never learn to do it himself. I'm grateful that I was raised with my dad doing the bulk of the laundry in my house, until the kids were tall enough to reach the controls, because I wasn't ever really exposed to that stereotype. In my marriage, we both do our own laundry, though we'll each help the other out when need be. And my husband does any and all ironing that happens in our house, along with a whole host of what many would call women's work.

Basically I understand how people fall into gender roles and find comedy in them, I just disagree, and find it insulting to all parties.

--
    Stolen.
    I had a laundry accident while I was still married, wherein all my husband's whites came out pink.

I lost my laundry cred after that.

I'm aware many people still hold traditional gender roles in their own homes, and when kids are raised up with mom doing all the laundry he's likely to expect his wife to do the same, and may never learn to do it himself. I'm grateful that I was raised with my dad doing the bulk of the laundry in my house, until the kids were tall enough to reach the controls, because I wasn't ever really exposed to that stereotype. In my marriage, we both do our own laundry, though we'll each help the other out when need be. And my husband does any and all ironing that happens in our house, along with a whole host of what many would call women's work.

Basically I understand how people fall into gender roles and find comedy in them, I just disagree, and find it insulting to all parties.

--

Seriously. It bugs me that sexist jokes are funny but racist ones are not. Neither should be funny because both sexism and racism exist heavily, sexism more so since it's so much more tolerable (obviously).
    Josephine wrote: »

--

Seriously. It bugs me that sexist jokes are funny but racist ones are not. Neither should be funny because both sexism and racism exist heavily, sexism more so since it's so much more tolerable (obviously).

I could understand the humor if sexism and misogyny weren't still a legitimate problem, but people seem to forget that women still hold a disproportionately small number of political offices, earn like 80 cents to the dollar of what men learn, etc, etc. Still a super legit problem.

In this context, not funny. When women aren't still being beaten down by society (and called sluts when they speak publicly about hormonal birth control), THEN maybe it'll be funny, in a "Gosh can you believe people ever thought that way??" kinda way.

Maybe.
    Stolen.
    tumblr_m0lb4uFzmH1qkvvyto1_400.jpg

Relevant graphic is relevant. Source
    Stolen.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some days I may chuckle, some days I may find it more offensive.

I'm okay with gender roles, but that's how I want it to work in my house. I want to do the cooking and cleaning. I have a caretaker personality, I'm okay with that.

That's not to say that I don't think women can do x and men can do x as well. For instance, I wouldn't think highly of a single man who brought his laundry to his moms house, but I'm okay with a husband having his laundry done by his wife.
    I don't want to be responsible for the maintenance on my car, or fixing broken things in the house, and because I have children to take care of, I don't want to be the breadwinner. So if my man will do that part, I will most certainly take on stereotypical 'housewife' duties.

Just don't 'expect' that I'll do it, 'appreciate' that I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seamelody14seamelody14 Posts: 282Registered Users
    This did make me giggle, but I have to say I do HATE misogyny and gender roles and all that garbage. And I hate that sexism is so widely accepted. I hate that there is so much support for the whole anti-birth control/abortion movement, but the consequences will obviously fall on the woman. "It doesn't concern women" my a**. It doesn't concern men, so they should stay out of it. But they don't, because we're their property, right???

Sent from my "smart" phone.
    2a/b
    medium/thick
    high porosity (from coloring)

Shampoo: Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Co-wash: Chistophe Robin Lemon Cleansing Cream
    RO: CJ strengthening, Kenra moisturizing
    LI: Jessicurl Aloeba
    DT: CJ rehab, Christophe Robin Prickly Pear Mask
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 minute
    Stylers: Jessicurl RR, SS Firm Hold Gel
    Oils: caudalie, sweet almond
    This did make me giggle, but I have to say I do HATE misogyny and gender roles and all that garbage. And I hate that sexism is so widely accepted. I hate that there is so much support for the whole anti-birth control/abortion movement, but the consequences will obviously fall on the woman. "It doesn't concern women" my a**. It doesn't concern men, so they should stay out of it. But they don't, because we're their property, right???

You recognize the irony in your first sentence, yes?

--
    Stolen.
    Josephine wrote: »

--

I could understand the humor if sexism and misogyny weren't still a legitimate problem, but people seem to forget that women still hold a disproportionately small number of political offices, earn like 80 cents to the dollar of what men learn, etc, etc. Still a super legit problem.

In this context, not funny. When women aren't still being beaten down by society (and called sluts when they speak publicly about hormonal birth control), THEN maybe it'll be funny, in a "Gosh can you believe people ever thought that way??" kinda way.

Maybe.

Yea, honestly I sorta chuckled when I first saw the label because in my relationships and my private world there are no gender roles and in my last relationship it was my ex that was more into the house stuff and he would have found it hilarious because he knows how I am(a complete slob who is okay with mess). But in the real world, this is not the case and a lot of men actually do think this way, ugh.
    I do it all myself, when I know how --- otherwise, I have to pay someone.

I'm a control freak when it comes to my laundry.

I still need a dishwasher.
  • cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    The only way I would find that label funny is if someone sewed that in just to see if anyone would notice. The label making people may be bored...

You recognize the irony in your first sentence, yes?

--

I still can recognize humor...
    2a/b
    medium/thick

Obviously this was a joke, if it were meant to be taken even remotely seriously, it would be sad. But clearly it's not.
    2a/b
    medium/thick