CurlTalk

Dishwasher Detergent

spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
I've been using Cascade liquid for a long time, but last time I bought it I didn't realize I was picking up some type of scent (orange, maybe) and it's so strong I could actually taste it on our plates, utensils, cups, etc. :-| Yesterday I picked up some Cascade with Dawn that are the little packets and I swear I can still smell something. Shouldn't my dishes just be...clean? I don't like the idea of all this chemical crap so I thought I'd so a little survey and see what everyone else uses and how they like it. :D I use Shaklee all purpose cleaner concentrate for general house cleaning so next time I order I may try their dishwasher powder.

So, what do you use?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The litte Cascade gelcaps/pods whatever.

Are you pregnant by any chance? Bc that is the only time I noticed the scents of that stuff.

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Heck to tha no. :lol: :confused2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    We use the Finish power ball tablet things. I'd prefer a more natural alternative, but nothing we've found works as well, so we've stuck with these.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I use Cascade Complete All-in-1 ActionPacs. I can usually smell it but not taste it.

Are you sure your dishwasher is doing a good enough job of rinsing your dishes?
    It's definitely washing great, much better than the old raggedy washer at our last place. This is a brand new and really nice washer so that's not the issue.

I think the one I recently bought with the Dawn doesn't really smell that strong, I just took a big whiff when I opened the door after being SO aware of the last stuff being awful. Just ate lunch off a plate from that load and the issue with tasting something funky is definitely gone.

For anyone interested do NOT buy the Cascade Complete Citrus Breeze scent. :stop:

It's interesting to see what everyone else uses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    Seventh Generation liquid gel right now; i didn't like their packs. I used to use ecover tabs.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    I use Cascade Complete All-in-1 ActionPacs. I can usually smell it but not taste it.

same here. I don't notice a smell, though.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I use Cascade with Dawn, Fresh scent. It does not have a lingering scent or leave a taste. Bosch recommended to use a powder, and less of it than our old dishwasher. We also use nothing with lemon or other citrus as it can pit glassware and flatware.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I can't use the packets in my Bosch dishwasher, because they are just too much soap. Bosch machines use about 1/4 of the soap and water of most other machines. So, I just use a namebrand powder, like Cascade, Finish, or Electrasol. I never have a problem with scent or taste.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We use the Finish power ball tablet things. I'd prefer a more natural alternative, but nothing we've found works as well, so we've stuck with these.
    I use liquid Finish. (That's what Electrosol is now, right?) It works way better than anything else I've tried and I don't notice any scent or taste on my dishes.

If you never noticed the taste before, you might want to check all the hoses and lines to make sure your DW is rinsing and draining properly.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    We've been using the washer for about 8 months now and it was new when we moved in and I only noticed it with that stupid citrus breeze (I call it stupid, but it's really me that's stupid for not checking the label more carefully :lol: ). The packets that I just bought didn't cause the weirdness with the smell/taste on the last load that I washed.

All this makes me think way too much about what we're ingesting from dishwasher detergent though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    10 yr old dishwasher - Finish Quantum pacs + 1/2 scoop powder in the 'overflow' powdered detergent bin.
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • WillowWillow Posts: 46Registered Users
    I was just pondering over scented dishwasher items the other day. I was wondering if there really was some noticeable scent because I have never noticed anything. I use Finish tablets. I believe they are orange scented but I have never noticed any scent.
  • YogapersonYogaperson Posts: 10Registered Users
    My favorite natural one is Seventh Generation. Used to use trader joes or whole foods. Big conundrum, that. Started using Dawn original of recent-late because I was worried about bacteria. My dish cleaner smelled worse using nat'l stuff and dawn cleans oil off the birds. May go back to other stuff.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    We use the Cascade Complete with bleach gel. We could smell all of the scented detergents on our dishes so just decided to go with bleach.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users

I agree! Only I'm still working on a big ol' container from Sam's that's still Electrasol. Don't think they've changed the product, just the name.

For me nothing else comes close in my basic contractor-grade Whirlpool dishwasher. Cleans almost anything and with the Jet Dry power ball, no spots at all.

They have barely any smell, though they're supposed to be orange scented. I've never noticed any taste at all.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    if its only a couple of items like a plate and spoon ill take them with me into the shower to conserve water
    Dinner and ptomaine at OBB's house.
    I don't know what ptomain is but coming from RCW I know its not a compliment
    It's food poisoning...

and c'mon, you do not really wash your dishes in the shower with you...

...do you?
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    I've found the Finish gel pacs are the best at not leaving that dulling film. I usually put 1/2 cup or so vinegar in the machine to help too; but never notice a smell.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I use the Finish tabs with the orange power ball. Never noticed any fragrance or taste on the dishes. I have a middle-of-the-line Maytag which is probably 8 years old or so. I guess it rinses well.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Cascade, or Finish, powder, gel, packs, whatever's on sale...

I recently stopped using the poweder BC it clogs up the soap tray.

I have Finish Quantum gel packs right now. Its good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I stand corrected. I ran the dishwasher this morning and what I am smelling is the scent you initially get when you open the door. It's a blast of warm, humid, Cascade-y air. :) The plates don't smell like anything to me and that says a lot because I have a nose like a bloodhound.

The manual for my dishwasher says they recommend Cascade. I did notice it does a better job with my dishwasher than Electrosol with Powerball. But that could be because the Electrosol we had was the older formula and it was expired. We had about 6 boxes to get through when we got the new dishwasher.
    It's food poisoning...

and c'mon, you do not really wash your dishes in the shower with you...

...do you?

If I'm ever invited over for dinner I will volunteer to do the dishes
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    i only liked cascade complete with bleach until i tried target brand. what a price difference and it cleans the same! didn't like any other brands :(

i also use white vinegar in the rinse compartment thingie
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was using white vinegar in the rinse aid compartment (we have really hard water and it worked great!), but I read it can be really bad on the rubber gaskets and such in the compartment and can break them down. I'm not sure how valid it is, but I don't want to mess up our new dishwasher either.

Anyone else know anything about it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    Dishwasher detergent is basically my job right now.

When they took phosphates out of detergents a few years ago, everything kind of started sucking. Phosphates alone controlled water hardness, cleaned well, etc. Now we put 5-6 ingredients in to replicate all of the wonderful things that phosphates did alone.

I hear a lot of disparaging things about Cascade around here (we are not a competitor, we only make detergents for commercial machines). My boss is a fan of the Finish Quantum - a bit more expensive than the regular Finish, but more effective against really hard water. Our water is not that hard so I just use the regular Finish tabs.

Let me tell you - making detergents that control hard water is a challenging task.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CurlTalk App
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    spring1onu wrote: »
    I was using white vinegar in the rinse aid compartment (we have really hard water and it worked great!), but I read it can be really bad on the rubber gaskets and such in the compartment and can break them down. I'm not sure how valid it is, but I don't want to mess up our new dishwasher either.

Anyone else know anything about it?

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that vinegar is going to damage any gaskets worse than the strongly caustic detergent that is already in there. You can eat vinegar, but detergent can eat your skin.

Then again - I wonder what throwing in an acid (vinegar) does to the efficacy of the detergent in cleaning, considering that the reason that it works is its strong basic nature and vinegar would partially neutralize it? No idea really, this is just me pondering.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CurlTalk App
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I use the Finish All in One Gel Tablets , and I love it! It is by far the best I have used (and I tried several). It includes Jet Dry so I do not add anything for the rinse cycle, but when I used gels or powders that did not contain anything for the rinse, I added a vinegar and water solution.

I buy a dishwasher cleaning solution and use it once every 4 or 5 months. In between the cleanings, I run Vinegar through a cycle.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]