CurlTalk

running shoes recommendations?

violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
Can anyone recommend shoes for running?
I started running on the threadmill but my sneakers are not cushioned well. I know some of them are expensive, so I wanted to check here first.
Also, what is the difference between high performance shoes and running shoes?

Comments

  • kutie02kutie02 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Running shoes can be tricky. The best thing is to go to a specialty running store (not a big box store like Academy or Foot Locker). The employees are runners who are specially trained to diagnose your running style and fit you with shoes that will accommodate you. The return policies are pretty loose
    Too, so if the shoes don't work they will take them back, even if you have worn them. I know it took me several different pairs of shoes before I found the ones that worked for me. I was getting injured running in the wrong shoes so it's pretty important. Good luck!!
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    Getting fit with the right pair of shoes is of paramount importance. I suggest you do the wet feet test. It really works.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

    I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    kutie02 wrote: »
    Running shoes can be tricky. The best thing is to go to a specialty running store (not a big box store like Academy or Foot Locker). The employees are runners who are specially trained to diagnose your running style and fit you with shoes that will accommodate you. The return policies are pretty loose
    Too, so if the shoes don't work they will take them back, even if you have worn them. I know it took me several different pairs of shoes before I found the ones that worked for me. I was getting injured running in the wrong shoes so it's pretty important. Good luck!!

    This, x100000.

    Most of those stores have you run on a treadmill, analyze your gait, and suggest shoes based on that.

    The wet foot test can be useful, but only really tells you about the shape of your foot which isn't a definitive predictor of your gait. There are certainly trends, like flat footed people tend to overpronate. But really, people with all levels of arches can have any kind of gait.

    A good pair will generally run you somewhere around $100, but don't fear the price tag too much because the quality makes up for it, and if you need the supportive features, they will prevent you from getting injured. I run on mine for about 450 miles before the support starts to break down and they get retired.

    If you have any questions about specific shoes I might be able to help, I've done a lot of shoe research.


    Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    Oh, and if they're calling it a "performance" shoe, it's designed for racing probably. Lighter weight, less durable.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I realized that I have the wrong running shoe. I am flat foot put mire weight on my left side just looking at the tread wear. Regardless I did not know flat foot folk need motion control/stability my inner ankle has been bothering lately and my left knee too. So yeah definitely new sneakers!!!!!


    Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • vanek07vanek07 Posts: 86Registered Users
    I am also flatfooted. I have tried a number of sneakers. But my favorites are my Nike Shox. I've had them for almost two years and I love them. Yes at first they hurt, but with flat feet that's a way of life. After a couple good runs on the treadmill the shoes felt great. So anyway I'd definitely recommend any kind of Nike Shox.
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    vanek07 wrote: »
    I am also flatfooted. I have tried a number of sneakers. But my favorites are my Nike Shox. I've had them for almost two years and I love them. Yes at first they hurt, but with flat feet that's a way of life. After a couple good runs on the treadmill the shoes felt great. So anyway I'd definitely recommend any kind of Nike Shox.

    Don't tell the Runner's World forums that you run in Nike Shox, you'd get an earful about how they're not real running shoes :P

    I say, run in whatever you want as long as they aren't causing you pain. Despite your flat feet, you must not overpronate badly since I don't think they make Shox with any support, and if you've been running on them for two years any support they once had is likely broken down.
    My flat feet = serious overpronation. Nike Shox would kill my ankles.



    Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
  • vanek07vanek07 Posts: 86Registered Users
    No really, the bottoms of my feet are completely flat - i cant see an arch at all - but my good old Shox work fine. Actually shoes with arch supports kill my feet because it feels like something is digging into the middle of my foot and it just doesn't get comfortable no matter what. I guess us flat-footers just have to figure out what works for each of us.
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Well these New Balance 670's are not what's up


    Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • vanek07vanek07 Posts: 86Registered Users
    Oh no :( I heard Asics and Sauconys are supposed to be good.
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    vanek07 wrote: »
    No really, the bottoms of my feet are completely flat - i cant see an arch at all - but my good old Shox work fine. Actually shoes with arch supports kill my feet because it feels like something is digging into the middle of my foot and it just doesn't get comfortable no matter what. I guess us flat-footers just have to figure out what works for each of us.

    Oh, I believe your feet are flat.

    You are a good example of someone for whom the wet foot test would probably not work, though. It would put you in serious support shoes, but clearly your gait is pretty neutral in spite of your flat feet since you run comfortably in the shoes that you do.

    This is a good thing when it comes to finding shoes. All the cool looking shoes are the ones for a neutral gait. My big clunky support shoes only come in boring colors :)





    Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    cmb4314 wrote: »
    vanek07 wrote: »
    No really, the bottoms of my feet are completely flat - i cant see an arch at all - but my good old Shox work fine. Actually shoes with arch supports kill my feet because it feels like something is digging into the middle of my foot and it just doesn't get comfortable no matter what. I guess us flat-footers just have to figure out what works for each of us.

    Oh, I believe your feet are flat.

    You are a good example of someone for whom the wet foot test would probably not work, though. It would put you in serious support shoes, but clearly your gait is pretty neutral in spite of your flat feet since you run comfortably in the shoes that you do.

    This is a good thing when it comes to finding shoes. All the cool looking shoes are the ones for a neutral gait. My big clunky support shoes only come in boring colors :)





    Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App

    I hate that I don't have a neutral gait and all the shoes I'm looking at are so big looking


    Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Well I ordered the saucing pro glide mirage off of zappos. So we'll see....


    Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I got my Saucony Mirage and have ran in them twice.... Well I am impressed. My inner right ankle isnt bothering me my left knee isnt balking too bad either. My feet actually feel good in them probably because of the arch support. Enjoy the lightweight feel of them and breathable mesh


    Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • bcody09bcody09 Posts: 115Registered Users
    I went to a store called fit2run and they had me run on a treadmill and found me shoes that worked. And best of all, they have a track in the store that you use to try out the shoes before you buy them. My shoes cost $130, but they're totally worth it. :)
    CG since Mar 2, 2012! :)

    Routine:
    CoWash: V05 Tea Therapy in Vanilla Mint Tea
    RO:Tresemme Naturals: Nourishing Moisture
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: CVS Sport Gel or Xcess Sport Hold Gel
    Mouse: Pantene Curl-Defining Mousse

    Product Application:
    Scrunch out water with random t-shirt
    Apply products
    Long sleeve shirt plop.