New and Confused about protein

curlyredhead17curlyredhead17 Posts: 21Registered Users
Hi all- I just wanted to say that i have been reading these boards for 2 weeks now..so i've done some research:)
I am so thankful this site exists:)
I decided to go CG about 2 months ago and my friend got me the deva products as a bday present.. within 2 weeks i noticed my hair was awful. drier than normal, frizzy, strawlike etc. i started reading that people who have this are protein sensitive? I think i read that the deva products were protein free so if so this doesnt make sense. Can anyone shed some light. Also- about my hair, i had Brazilian BO's 4 times, my hair is thick, dry, damaged, high&lowlighted curly underneath and wavy on top (although since the brazilians its more like straight/wavy frizz on top), i think 2c, i think porous and not sure about density and elasticity. Any suggestions what i should try next to moisturize and enhance curl w/out crunchy feeling? after reading posts, I am thinking CJ rehab, mop c hydrating shampoo and not sure on prduct? KCCC or curl keeper or rockin ringlets. so overwhelmed but really want to try to hang in there and go curly. Also have food sensitives to grains so the wheat in the deva would make sense...and for that matter isnt wheat a protein? I also just tried ouidad and dont like that either. Any help would be sooooo appreciated:) Have a great day!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Many of us start out with Deva, think we like it and move on to other (and IMHO better) products. Deva may just not be for you. If your hair is damaged from the BBs, protein may be just what it needs. Porous and/or fine hair generally likes protein. The Deva may not be providing you with enough moisture and that's why your hair is hard and dry. When you say your hair is thick and you don't know your density--do you mean your hair is coarse?? (texture) rather then that you have a lot of hair (density??)

My hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique companies. I stay away from a lot of chemicals. Part of being on nc.com is learning about products/ingredients, experimenting and seeing what your hair likes. I, like many, rotate products. My hair has always satiated with continued use of any one product, even back in the shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use any one product more then once every five days. Look for people with similar hair and see what they use. It's the best way to start.

Another key to achieving great hair is a good haircut. You need to have the damaged hair removed. If it's in bad shape, no amount of TLC will bring it back.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • McfrizzyMcfrizzy Posts: 406Registered Users
    Hi all- I just wanted to say that i have been reading these boards for 2 weeks now..so i've done some research:)
    I am so thankful this site exists:)
    I decided to go CG about 2 months ago and my friend got me the deva products as a bday present.. within 2 weeks i noticed my hair was awful. drier than normal, frizzy, strawlike etc. i started reading that people who have this are protein sensitive? I think i read that the deva products were protein free so if so this doesnt make sense. Can anyone shed some light. Also- about my hair, i had Brazilian BO's 4 times, my hair is thick, dry, damaged, high&lowlighted curly underneath and wavy on top (although since the brazilians its more like straight/wavy frizz on top), i think 2c, i think porous and not sure about density and elasticity. Any suggestions what i should try next to moisturize and enhance curl w/out crunchy feeling? after reading posts, I am thinking CJ rehab, mop c hydrating shampoo and not sure on prduct? KCCC or curl keeper or rockin ringlets. so overwhelmed but really want to try to hang in there and go curly. Also have food sensitives to grains so the wheat in the deva would make sense...and for that matter isnt wheat a protein? I also just tried ouidad and dont like that either. Any help would be sooooo appreciated:) Have a great day!

Welcome and im not really sure i have all the answers but maybe someone here does. For some questions i think i can help. From what you said, what i know is that porous hair usually doesn't like protein but coarse and low porosity do. If deva products really don't have protein than maybe your hair needs something more conditioning or even protein. A very moisturizing conditioner i know of is GVP conditioning balm sold at sally's. its like a generic type of the matrix biolage conditioning balm. As for protein you can try a homemade treatment like eggs or stronger protein like IAgirls Gelatin protein treatment which you can find on the boards. All the products you mentioned sound very good although things like curl keeper are for styling rather than moisture. Well, Good Luck on being CG
    Lo-poo:organix Shea butter shampoo
    Co-wash: suave coconut
    Rinse out:GFTN/GVP conditioning balm
    Leave in: GF daily care spray leave in
    Serum-like product: still need one
    Gel:LA looks sport gel/ HESMU,GFPC
    Oils: olive, coconut

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein
  • curlyredhead17curlyredhead17 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Thank you Kathy. All this info is so overwhelming and I appreciate the help. I spent some time with my hairdresser friend this weekend and i had her look at my hair. it is thick. It seems coarse on top and medium underneath. i just put a strand of hair in water and it did not sink so i think its not porous? and from what i understand, coarse and low porosity like protein? and porous = no protein? I dont know why my hair didnt like deva and everytime i think i know which product to order i read something else about it:(. i also have many sensitivities and allergies to fragrances and such which makes it difficult. i was thinking about CJ products the rehab (no protein) and the repair (protein rich) for treatments but they look very "scenty". not sure about a daily shampoo and conditioner, maybe mop c hydrating as my hair is very dry. i know i am going to have to try many different things but am clueless as to where to start:). Thank you for all your input and if you have any suggestions for me i would so welcome them:)
    Thanks so much mcfrizzy! I will try to get to a sally's and pick up the cond balm for sure. i just did the hair in water test and it didnt sink so i think that means low porosity. maybe i should find a balance with one product being protein free and one being with protein?? i am certainly going to try to stick with the CG method:).. Im a single mom of a 3 yr old and I really need to simplify my life and not spend a fortune on products:). Thanks for welcoming me:)
    Thank you Kathy. All this info is so overwhelming and I appreciate the help. I spent some time with my hairdresser friend this weekend and i had her look at my hair. it is thick. It seems coarse on top and medium underneath. i just put a strand of hair in water and it did not sink so i think its not porous? and from what i understand, coarse and low porosity like protein? and porous = no protein? I dont know why my hair didnt like deva and everytime i think i know which product to order i read something else about it:(. i also have many sensitivities and allergies to fragrances and such which makes it difficult. i was thinking about CJ products the rehab (no protein) and the repair (protein rich) for treatments but they look very "scenty". not sure about a daily shampoo and conditioner, maybe mop c hydrating as my hair is very dry. i know i am going to have to try many different things but am clueless as to where to start:). Thank you for all your input and if you have any suggestions for me i would so welcome them:)

Actually, it's the opposite of the bolded. Fine and/or porous hair generally likes protein. Coarse does not. The rest is personal, but medium hair generally tolerates most things in moderation. For my low porosity hair, it means that it takes longer to absorb product (or water for that matter) and longer to give it up once it is absorbed (that means it takes really long periods of time to dry.)

The float test is generally unreliable. The one where you run your fingers towards the roots is better (if it slides, it's low porosity; bumps means porous; and I forget how you distinguish medium porosity.)
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for clarifying that Kathy. But what if hair is coarse AND porous? I just sent in my hair sample to Live curlylive free.. I want to be absolutely sure what my hair texture and porosity is before i start stocking up on products:). Ps- i see in your signature, some things curl junkie... what are th CJ products you like? I was thinking maybe CIAB or curl keeper or recoil to use with the KCCC i just picked up:) Thanks a million again!
    Thanks for clarifying that Kathy. But what if hair is coarse AND porous? I just sent in my hair sample to Live curlylive free.. I want to be absolutely sure what my hair texture and porosity is before i start stocking up on products:). Ps- i see in your signature, some things curl junkie... what are th CJ products you like? I was thinking maybe CIAB or curl keeper or recoil to use with the KCCC i just picked up:) Thanks a million again!

It's all trial and error. If your hair is coarse and porous, it may need occasional protein. Sometimes there are certain proteins hair will like, while not liking others.

My favorite CJ products are Repair Me, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, Strengthening Conditioner and Argan & Olive Oil Conditioner. I can't use products with polyquats 4 and/or 10 (builds up), so no CIAB for me. I was allergic to CK (made my scalp burn), but that's okay because it didn't do much for me, nor did ReCoil. My hair prefers the more natural products.

First time I used KCCC, I had the best hair I ever--up until that time. Now, I've found other things I like a lot more. I do have it around, so use it every once in a while. I prefer the KC TT Moisturizing Styler (children's line) to KCCC. I use a lot of Marie Dean creams, leave ins and puddings under my jelly products. I find that they "seal" my hair and are good for both high and low dewpoints.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Kathy! oh boy do I have ALOT to learn!! And i thought this would make my life easier:(. Thanks for all the info:).
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    just fyi I thought I had coarse and porous hair as well before I sent my hair in! It came back medium and normal porosity. I've had stylists comment on my "coarse" hair before and I've since come to the conclusion that it feels kinky.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• AkcurlAkcurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    I don't have a lot of suggestions about protein, I haven't experimented with to protein or not so much. But you mentioned being sensitive to perfumes. I use jessiecurl products and love them. They all come in unscented which is nice, I can use the citrus lavender scent, it is not too overwhelming. My hair is thick and coarse. I really like the too Shea conditioner. If you have wheat sensitivities though you may want to search out wheat free options. Jessiecurl isnt gluten free, but Jessie mentioned on her web page that she too is wheat sensitive anddoesnthave problems with her products.
    OMG Asianrunner thats exactly what I thought and yes hairdressers have commented that i have coarse hair..test just came back... Medium, normal porosity and normal elasticity!! So.... now i am even more confused haha. I think the problem is that my canopy is so dry and damaged (which is why i would think its porous) i mistaked it for coarse.. with that said.... do you guys think a couple of CJ rehab tx's will miraculously turn this dry damaged mess around? maybe i should do a few CJ repairs too? Im thinking the devacurl reaction was probably to the wheat since i am "allergic/sensative" to wheat, but i think i am going to stick with protein free poo's and condish's until i get get my hair in a healthy state..and an occasional protein tx.... any suggestions/ time frames or anything else that would help me to stay with the CG method:). also, summer in CT is right around the corner so im sure once i find a routine that seems to work, I'll have to switch it all up again haha. Currently, just received my order for Mop c hydrating poo, GVP cond balm, CJ rehab and i use the KCKT and the KCCC but havent explored any other products.. thinking maybe recoil?? to help enhance the barely wavy canopy. And dont know if i stated this before but i have a ton of hair which is curlier underneath and the canopy is a mess..probably still from the BBO's but the last one i had was in May 2011... and just to reiterate again, thank you all for your help, we are blessed to have this site:). Also- suggestions on how to reach out to those you come across with similar hairtypes, textures etc for more in depth help.. I havent yet figured out how to use these boards:) THANK YOU:)
    PS- i was thinking maybe trying jessiecurl... thanks Akcurl
    Sounds like you have some great products to try! If your hair is heat damaged, I would still try some occasional PTs. My fav PT is the Repair Me but lots of people like IAgirl's PT recipe. Just search for it and there is a big thread over on the 2s. I am lazy and just like to use one from a bottle! ;)

I have the same properties as you and will use protein products every now and then. I think most (if not all) of my wave enhancers are protein free. Cleansers are all protein free. I do have a conditioner and a couple gels w/ protein that I use every now and then!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves

@asianrunner.. yea i'm way too busy to make my own PT or that FSG for that matter ha. I'll try to figure out the product initials in your signature :). Yes I'm def going to order the repair me..the back of my head is this frizzy spiderlike mess, i hate the feeling:(. thanks!
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Even though I am Protein Sensitive... I can and do use protein (in a gel form or a rinse out conditioner form) once every in a while...like once every three or four weeks.

So it first you realize you are protein sensitive...then you cut it out and add a little back at a time. When you add back too much protein the hair tells you by frizzing...in my case.

Good Luck.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
  • sumsunshinesumsunshine Posts: 1Registered Users
    Im new to this site also, where did you guys send your hair to be typed? I need to do this because I have no clue what my hair type is due to all the heat damage I have. The crown of my head is mostly straight/wavy as well as my ends, while underneath I have spirals. It would be a lot easier to pick out products if I knew my hair type...
    Im new to this site also, where did you guys send your hair to be typed? I need to do this because I have no clue what my hair type is due to all the heat damage I have. The crown of my head is mostly straight/wavy as well as my ends, while underneath I have spirals. It would be a lot easier to pick out products if I knew my hair type...

curlwizard.com

• ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Posts: 429Registered Users

curlwizard.com

But if you're looking to also receive hair product recommendations, CurlWizard will no longer be offering them. Here's what I found on the Live Curly, Live Free website:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
    Effective June 1, 2012, the Curl Wizard site will become inactive and we will no longer be offering hair analysis services WITH PRODUCT RECOMMENDATIONS.

And no, we will not be leaving you in the dark about what products are good for your type of hair, either! Please take a moment to read on.

This has been such a wonderful service for both us and for our clients. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to our curly friends all over the world who have taken the time to let us know what a benefit our hair analysis service has been to them.

Over the past several months, however, we have noticed a rapid acceleration in product changes as the amount of acquisitions of small, independent product manufacturers by large beauty industry corporations has sharply increased. Several products that we have recommended since we launched the service in 2010 have been re-formulated since then. It has become increasingly difficult for us to keep on top of this and change our profile information to reflect the increasingly rapid changes.

The amount of effort to maintain the product profile information aside, however, what has us concerned going forward is, as more and more large beauty industry corporations take over the small, independent product manufacturers, the more rapidly the product recommendation profiles we are providing will become “stale.” The large corporations like to make products more profitable and the best way to do that is to re-formulate a product with cheaper—and not necessarily better—product ingredients. It is our belief that we are looking at a rapid increase of this trend over the next several years.

It is one thing for us to provide product recommendations in good faith that the products will be successful for our clients over the long haul. We know there is always a chance a company will re-formulate their products and we are quite upfront about that. However, in all conscience, we cannot continue to provide a paid service that we cannot guarantee will provide our clients stable and reliable information long-term.

To that end, while the hair analysis service itself will still be available on Live Curly Live Free, we have opted to discontinue the product recommendation profiles on Curl Wizard effective June 1 and have instead created boards at Pinterest that include free product recommendations, curly hair information, curly hair articles, pictures, etc. In keeping with our philosophy that the Live Curly Live Free name itself is and should always remain “brand-neutral,” the boards are under the Curl Whisperer name: Pinterest - the Curl Whisperer.

In that way, it will be easier for us to both maintain the integrity of the product considerations we make available and also to give our clients an easy way to check on changes to those product recommendations.

Again, thank you so much for your kindness, your suggestions and your support. We look forward to continuing to help women everywhere on their personal journey of curly hair freedom.

The Live Curly Live Free team

I was disappointed when I found out about this. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file