So errbody jumping on the "Natural Hair" bandwagon?!

AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
So over this past weekend I was in Sally Beauty Supply and I saw some new products for "natural hair" one product line named Curls was from Organic Root Stimulator and then I saw a Dr. Miracles "natural hair" line. I was surprised so many companies are trying to cash in on the natural hair movement. But something that bugs me is that some of the products from those companies original lines are not good quality product IMO. Like with the Organic Root Stimulator products why would I pay $15 for a Deep Conditioner? That's crazy, plus im not to thrilled about most of their products anyway. Also I was in RiteAid today and I saw they have a Natural Hair sections, which included Mixed Chicks, Jane Cater, Kinky Curly, and Jamaican Mango and Lime Transitioning Kit. But those are just my thoughts. You ladies let me know what ya'll think!

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
Products I love:
Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil

Comments

• lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    Yeah I was just looking at sally's ad yesterday and I seen Dr. Miracles now have a natural line. Most of those natural products in the drug store do not work on my hair. So I won't even bother wasting my money buying any. I would like to try that gel though from ORS Curls Unleashed line since most gels react the same in my hair.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • tbabyytbabyy Posts: 570Registered Users
    Yea, I'm just not a fan of all these "natural hair" products filled with 'cones and other crap...like really? Umm...no. Why would I buy that 'cone filled stuff for like $20 when I could get really good ingredients for the same price or 'cone filled products for a lot cheaper? (I.E. Aussie Moist)
    b04fbffc-52c8-49d6-a7f1-77140040642d.jpg

LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY! :toothy7:
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    Big companies are always going to try and cash in on any apparent "trends". It's up to us to be discriminating about what we put in our hair, as we are :)
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    Curls has been out for a few years at Target. They don't have silicone and just recently got to Sally. My store never restocks the new lines so I just shop at Target. I don't like how most of the commercial stuff has silicones, though. They make my hair feel coated.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • curlyberrycurlyberry Posts: 549Registered Users
    Eh, that's good for them I guess. I already know what products my hair likes so I'm not really bothered by it.
    Type 4, fine/high density, high porosity
    Last Relaxer - March '11
    BC - August '11

Fall/Winter PRODUCTS

Clarifier - Paul Mitchell Three Low-poos - BoBeam Conditioners - TJ Nourish Spa, CJRM!, Co-Wash - N/A, Leave-Ins - N/A, Moisturizers - Afroveda Coco Latte, QBCTDG, CR Moisture Butter, Sealants/Stylers - Any BASK butters and creams, Jane Carter N&S, QBATB
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    And they think we're idiots because the natural lines always cost MORE!

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • CuteKinksCuteKinks Posts: 76Registered Users
    Definitely noticed this but I can't say that I'm mad at them. Companies try to find new ways to make money...that's what they do. They noticed the rise in women who are wearing their hair in its natural state and they are getting in on it. More power to them lol.

CuteKinks
  • Nikki JONikki JO Posts: 40Registered Users
    Companies are def going to be on the bandwagon w/ natural hair on the rise. They notice a lot of women are embracing their natural hair and they want in. What they don't realize is people are cautious and do their research pretty throughly before using a product. So every new product may not get a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    No offense but how is that a bad thing! It only means we are a force to be reckoned with the natural movement is big enough to pay attention. Thats great in my eyes! Not everyone uses organic stuff some naturals wanna or can only just hit the beauty supply. I say shouts to them do it how you can.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well it's become big business now. More women are trying to embrace their natural hair now and actually WEAR it out not just cover it. So these companies are trying to cash in. I think if they see product lines like Miss Jessies and Mixed Chicks that contain silicones and or mineral oil and it's selling for ridiculous amounts of money..they figure why can't they get in on the gravy train.

Plus I guarantee you women will go out and buy that stuff at least just to try because people are always looking for different products to try for a cheaper price. And I bet those products at Sally's on average are cheaper than some of the top selling natural hair brands.

I personally prefer products without all those cones and mineral oils but a lot of naturals don't mind using those things..so I guess it's nice they have other options now for a fairer price point. Honestly, I'm happy for them. If the stuff works..it works.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    @Marah you make many valid points, I just hope the products are worth wild. I havent heard anything about the ORS line or the Dr. Miracles. When I was in Sally's I thought the Curls line from ORS was about of the original Curls line (curls.biz) because the graphics were similar. But none the less thanks for your opinion.

event.png

Products I love:
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • AKAdemicAKAdemic Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This probably has already been said, but you see the same thing with anything peope like. Take food for example. As people began to want healthier choices, suddenly every fast food restaurant began offering alternatives. Problem is, not all of those 'alternatives' are truly healthy.

You simply have to be a discerning consumer, no matter what the case.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sally's got Curls?! Oh, heck yeah. I'm about to tear that UP.

I don't see why this is a problem. Before no one gave a crap about making products for natural/kinky hair and now that everyone's coming out with stuff it's them jumping on the bandwagon? That's good for us. Because yes, some products are going to suck and have unhelpful ingredients and not be worth the money, but we can determine what's worth it and what isn't.

Shoot. I ain't even mad. :glasses7:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    The "new" products @ Sally's for natural hair are: Beautiful Textures, Curls, Curls: Organic Root Stimulator, and Dr. Miracles natural hair line. There's also As I Am hair products. I'm curious to see how many more product line Sallys will add for naturals. Btw has anybody see any reviews about the Curls: Organic root stimulator line

event.png

Products I love:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Nat started a thread. I like the ORS curl line but ive only dabbled in what I bought.

I have some items from Dr Miracles and Motions to try out as well

Yeahhhhhboi, Im on my smartphone!!!
  • naturallycreolenaturallycreole Posts: 112Registered Users
    Natural hair products and the not so natural ones are not exempt from capitalism. One thing I can say, they are on the ground= no shipping charged, easy to return if they don't work, and no shipping wait. On behalf of the producers more visibility, no shipping headaches, customer complaints, backlogs, out of stock after Black Friday...= win-win for us all! Guess that was more than one thing- LOL

Will you look back on life and say I wish I had or I'm glad I did. -Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk-
    @naturallycreole ITA!

event.png

Products I love:
  • artemisartemis Posts: 86Registered Users
    I just saw Queen Helene in my health food store. Errybody's jumping on the bandwagon.
    I found some new curly products @ walmart the other day: Motions Curly Line and U R Curly Product Line. There was a third but I couldn't remember the name of it. I guess it is a good thing that s many "natural hair" products are reaching the stores now. I guess I should say now "Keep on Jumping on the Natural Hair Bandwagon!" Lol. None the less I hope these products work good even though I haven't purchased anything yet, but I do plan on to. Its official, curlies are here to stay!!!!

event.png

Products I love:
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the others who've stated that not everyone want to or can shop online for specialty items due to the higher price plus shipping.

One of the complaints I hear from people going natural is the cost of many of the products. Not everyone has the desire or can afford to be product junkies. Aside from from the Aussie, Suave, Tresemme, and Shea Moisture brands in the drugstores, there really isn't much else to choose from.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    @greenandchic that is very true what you've stated. It does make shopping for hair products easier if there is a nice variety available in the stores. And since I've started this thread I've been noticing many natural/curly hair products in the stores.

I will continue to post my new finds and you ladies please do the same!

event.png

Products I love:
  • msdiva29msdiva29 Posts: 96Registered Users
    I can totally agree with you!
    I agree with the others who've stated that not everyone want to or can shop online for specialty items due to the higher price plus shipping.

One of the complaints I hear from people going natural is the cost of many of the products. Not everyone has the desire or can afford to be product junkies. Aside from from the Aussie, Suave, Tresemme, and Shea Moisture brands in the drugstores, there really isn't much else to choose from.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App
    Favorites: Donna Maria SBC
    Curl Junkie BO&AC
    Shea Moisture CES
    Castor Oil
    Don't Forget to Dream! ~ Madonna
    http://www.sheamaria.com
    Twitter: Elakia
    More new hair products lines: 4 Naturals products (walmart), Nubian Heritage Keratin Hair products and Nubian Heritage Color treated hair products (both @ Target).

event.png

Products I love:
  • markquishamarkquisha Posts: 1Registered Users
    I seen this also at Walgreens I was shocked to see that they had..As I Am...Hair Rules...And the Organic Root New products...I'm almost two years into my natural hair journey and starting on the CG Method so this should save me lots of money being that I'm a serious PJ...lol But really its sad but us as consumers need to not give into the hype and find those products that Our hair loves at a reasonable price :)
    markquisha wrote: »
    I seen this also at Walgreens I was shocked to see that they had..As I Am...Hair Rules...And the Organic Root New products...I'm almost two years into my natural hair journey and starting on the CG Method so this should save me lots of money being that I'm a serious PJ...lol But really its sad but us as consumers need to not give into the hype and find those products that Our hair loves at a reasonable price :)

True indeed! Im going to have to check out my walgreens and see if they hair those products as well.

event.png

Products I love:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file