We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Good Products for Protein-Sensitive Hair?

bjoseph5bjoseph5 Posts: 27Registered Users
I'm trying to find some good moisturizers and conditioners for my hair. I'm protein-sensitive so I'm looking for hair products with little to no protein in them. I've heard good things about shea moisture, kinky curly, giovanni, etc. Theres so many products to choose from and sometimes it can be very overwhelming. Please help!

Comments

• Naturally1908Naturally1908 Posts: 56Registered Users
    Oyin Handmade would probably be best. They are full of shea and super hydrating ingredients. I don't think I saw any coconut or protein elements in their products.
    Monique - Natural Hair Advocate - Blogger
    Proud Member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc
    I tweet! www.twitter.com/naturally1908
    I blog! www.naturalandfab.com

event.png

event.png

[/CENTER]
  • bjoseph5bjoseph5 Posts: 27Registered Users
    Thank you. Do they sell Oyin in stores or would I have to purchase it online?
    Oyin Handmade would probably be best. They are full of shea and super hydrating ingredients. I don't think I saw any coconut or protein elements in their products.

Sent from my DROID Pro using CurlTalk App
  • Valeriia.SuaValeriia.Sua Posts: 198Registered Users
    There Honey Hemp Conditioner has protein in it. :spiderman:

Honey Hemp Conditioner contains: purified water, organic aloe vera gel, behentremonium methosulfate (emulsifier derived from colza oil), honey, virgin hemp oil, , coconut oil, vegetable glycerine, hydrolized silk, citrus essences, fragrance, optiphen (preservative)

Honey Hemp Conditioner - condition - shop by need - hair

Otherwise I like their Hair Dew:love1: and the Burnt Sugar pomade.

Thanks! I'll look into it
    There Honey Hemp Conditioner has protein in it. :spiderman:

Honey Hemp Conditioner contains: purified water, organic aloe vera gel, behentremonium methosulfate (emulsifier derived from colza oil), honey, virgin hemp oil, , coconut oil, vegetable glycerine, hydrolized silk, citrus essences, fragrance, optiphen (preservative)

Honey Hemp Conditioner - condition - shop by need - hair

Otherwise I like their Hair Dew:love1: and the Burnt Sugar pomade.

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    I thought Shea Moisture had protein but I could be wrong...
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Yeah I've heard that as well but when I checked the ingredients, I didn't see protein on there. I'll try it and see if my hair likes it
    I thought Shea Moisture had protein but I could be wrong...

It could be that not all SM products have protein either. The only SM products I've tried (and disliked) was the Smoothie and I'm pretty sure that had protein.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves

Aww :( that was one of the products I wanted to try. Well I guess I'll just try the deep treatment masque, as well as the shampoo & conditioner. Thanks everybody!

• cassochinadollcassochinadoll Posts: 21Registered Users
    Oyin handmade and Shea moisture do contain proteins. Be aware that there are natural sources of protein. Coconut oil, avocado oil, Wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil all are huge sources of protein. Go to mountainroseherbs.com and look at the information about each oil. You can also look up any oil you are interested in individually on google. Finding products with no protein in non-natural products is easy because you just look for key words like "protein" "hydrolyzed" etc. In natural products, it requires a bit of knowledge in order to choose because you have to know which ingredients are natural sources of protein. The natural ones are less potent because they are not specifically designed for the hair shaft however, if your hair is VERY sensitive like mine, then you should be careful about the protein regardless of the source.

Hope this helps
    -Cassochinadoll
  • SistapopdemcurlSistapopdemcurl Posts: 225Registered Users
    Giovanni has protein. I can't use the shampoo or the leave in. I only use the conditioner, but a good conditioner is dessert essence coconut conditioner
    Thanks for clarifying. Other that vegetable & hydrolyzed wheat protein, I wasn't sure what other types of proteins are out there. This can be so frustrating sometimes.
    Oyin handmade and Shea moisture do contain proteins. Be aware that there are natural sources of protein. Coconut oil, avocado oil, Wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil all are huge sources of protein. Go to mountainroseherbs.com and look at the information about each oil. You can also look up any oil you are interested in individually on google. Finding products with no protein in non-natural products is easy because you just look for key words like "protein" "hydrolyzed" etc. In natural products, it requires a bit of knowledge in order to choose because you have to know which ingredients are natural sources of protein. The natural ones are less potent because they are not specifically designed for the hair shaft however, if your hair is VERY sensitive like mine, then you should be careful about the protein regardless of the source.

Hope this helps
    -Cassochinadoll

Yeah I wanted to try Giovanni too but when I looked at the ingredients, I saw that it has vegetable protein so I'm just going to avoid it.
    Giovanni has protein. I can't use the shampoo or the leave in. I only use the conditioner, but a good conditioner is dessert essence coconut conditioner

Thanks again, who makes the dessert essence conditioner?

• SistapopdemcurlSistapopdemcurl Posts: 225Registered Users
    I am not sure, but swansonsvitamin.com as it the cheapest per bottles.
    Ok thanks :)
    I am not sure, but swansonsvitamin.com as it the cheapest per bottles.

I thought the Desert Essences conditioner was really light, but I only tried the Italian Red Grape.

Where do you get it from?
    I thought the Desert Essences conditioner was really light, but I only tried the Italian Red Grape.

I used natural shea butter to seal my ends & my hair seems to like it. I'm going to braid my hair tonight & use some shea moisture (the non hibiscus kind) so I can see how my hair reacts to it.

bjoseph5 wrote: »

I found it at my local co-op.

Thanks. I have some co-ops/health food stores near me so I will look for it
    bjoseph5 wrote: »

I found it at my local co-op.

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I just tried the new Renpure Organics Argan Oil conditioner this morning after hearing it mentioned as a possible GFTN replacement. Good slip, good moisture, no protein.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I am intrigued by the Renpure conditioners. Not like I need any more since I already have a ton!

Cool! I will add it to the list of products I need to try lol
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I just tried the new Renpure Organics Argan Oil conditioner this morning after hearing it mentioned as a possible GFTN replacement. Good slip, good moisture, no protein.

• TangledMadnessTangledMadness Posts: 43Registered Users
    Corrina777 wrote: »

One day I will try it. It sounds great and I like the ingredients.
    What about honey? I have some at home & I want to try and use it as a conditioner

• Ruthie11Ruthie11 Posts: 77Registered Users
    How do you know if your hair is sensitive to protein?

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Cowash-Tresseme Naturals
    Hair Type-3c-4a
    Leave in-Tresseme Naturals
    Gel-LA Sports Gel
    Cashmere Curls for shine

:wav:
    Hair is protein sensitive if it gets dry/brittle when you use any hair products with protein in them. I discovered I was protein sensitive when I used a conditioner that was supposed to be moisturizing and realized that the conditioner had protein in it. It left my hair Super dry and brittle. I kept thinking to myself a conditioner isn't supposed to do that smh
  • berri_cherriberri_cherri Posts: 91Registered Users
    The Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter line (yellow line) is protein free.

I use the Raw Shea Butter Retention shampoo every 2 months.
    I cowash with the Raw Shea Butter Restorative conditiner, cool rinse, then I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as a detangler/rinse out. Finally I apply the Raw Shea Butter Restorative conditioner as a leave in and seal with coconut oil. This kept my hair so soft an fluffy.

I wish there was a list of the Protein sensitive products for shampoo, conditioner, moisturizers, sealers.
    Hair type:
    4A/4B(coarse, very thick, dry, and curly)
    Big chop 3/27/12
    Hair styling products: Shea Moisture(yellow line shampoo n restorative conditioner)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftastyberri.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

Density: High
    porosity: :D Definitely LOW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Very helpful...I was wondering this last night after reading this thread, "aren't Shea butter, coconut oil, and other oils protein sources?" Thank You for clarifying. My hair loves Pure Shea Butter, my hair adores Extra Virgin coconut oil, but I believe wheat germ oil and soy bean oil are either too strong or too much in the product. I had purchased so many Carol's Daughter products only to find it was not benefiting me, I would still have unmanageable dry hair after spraying Black Vanilla leave in. The Tui leave in, did help some with detangling. And the Tui Smoothie was just awful. My relaxed hair loved Silk Fusion (Smooth N' Shine), but I have not seen any great results when I recently used it. I am going to eventually figure this out...
    Hair type:
    Big chop 3/27/12
    Hair styling products: Shea Moisture(yellow line shampoo n restorative conditioner)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hope this helps
    -Cassochinadoll

Very helpful...I was wondering this last night after reading this thread, "aren't Shea butter, coconut oil, and other oils protein sources?" Thank You for clarifying. My hair loves Pure Shea Butter, my hair adores Extra Virgin coconut oil, but I believe wheat germ oil and soy bean oil are either too strong or too much in the product. I had purchased so many Carol's Daughter products only to find it was not benefiting me, I would still have unmanageable dry hair after spraying Black Vanilla leave in. The Tui leave in, did help some with detangling. And the Tui Smoothie was just awful. My relaxed hair loved Silk Fusion (Smooth N' Shine), but I have not seen any great results when I recently used it. I am going to eventually figure this out...
    Hair type:
    Big chop 3/27/12

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file