Bipolar hair texture/type? XD

I've been sulfate and silicone free for a few months now, and slowly bee incorporating more hair-friendly things into my hair's.... lifestyle? I guess you could say. Satin pillowcases, diffusing (with a strainer, but, it works!) Only using t-shirts instead of towels on my hair, the list goes on.

Now depending on things like, how long it's been since I low-poo'd, how much product is in my hair, and how wet it is when I apply products, how long I plop, my hair can end up in lots of different shapes and textures.

In the span of a few weeks, I can go from this
Photo0723.jpg

To this 100_6517.jpg

(Note however it wasn't completely dry yet, and softened out a bit once it did dry.)
To this 100_6510.jpg

Now I like how my hair isn't the same shape everyday, but what to you suppose the type is? I've never been typed before.

TIA.
PhoneCurtainScale.jpgPhoneFrontScale.jpgWEbcamHaircutscale.jpg
2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
New May 20th Routine
Low-poo:SheaM
Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
Styler: LALSG
Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

Comments

• kimmidawnkimmidawn Posts: 900Registered Users
    I would say your hair probably ranges from 2b to 3a (although I'm not great at typing either). To me, the wave pattern looks 2b to 2c, but your waves do start out pretty close to your scalp, which is more characteristic of 3a or higher.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • ChikyuuChikyuu Posts: 268Registered Users
    My waves do seem to form close to my scalp, but I blame that mostly on the fact I give my scalp a lot of attention, lift my roots up a lot by upside-down scalp-massage and scalp-drying, and I scrunch gel in starting from the scalp. Actually the wavy scalp is something new since CG.
    New May 20th Routine
    Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

• britney.britney. Posts: 292Registered Users
    I would say 2b. But the second picture looks a little closer to 2c. So maybe 2b/2c.
    2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
    Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
    Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
    Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

Chikyuu wrote: »
    My waves do seem to form close to my scalp, but I blame that mostly on the fact I give my scalp a lot of attention, lift my roots up a lot by upside-down scalp-massage and scalp-drying, and I scrunch gel in starting from the scalp. Actually the wavy scalp is something new since CG.

So wait, can you explain more of what you do to your roots? I'm looking to get more waves closer to my roots, and so far really haven't been able to.

RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well, I always thoroughly co-wash or low-poo my roots while I'm in the shower, and I spend a lot of my time while washing and styling with my head upside down. I also finger-comb and wide-toothed comb my hair upside down, which may add some lift to my roots. I think this kind of "wakes up" the scalp so it doesn't lay down so flat.

When I apply conditioner and rake it through all of my hair, I flip/push/fingercomb ALL of my hair to one side, thoroughly detangle in one direction, then go to the opposite side. Then I do the same thing upside down. So my hair isn't laying in the same place the whole time.

I scrunch my gel in sections from roots to ends before scrunching the whole section up to my roots. -Squish squish squish- And I do a final scrunch of a LITTLE bit of gel in my roots while upside down.

I honestly don't even bother trying to part my hair until it's diffused, and even then it's not a straight part. My hair has this tendrily texture to it which makes my parts uneven, but it's something I have to do to preserve the clumps.

Also when I strainer-diffuse, I basically gather a large section of wet hair from tip to roots in the strainer, and gather it allll the way up to my head. Then I blow dry the section while essentially this bowl holds the hair in place. This helps me shape the hair while no weight of length or moisture will hold it down, which maybe aid in my scalp not being flat. As well as plopping. I also spend a wee bit of time blow drying my roots because the dryer my roots are, the faster my length air dries.

I think all the rubbing and flipping and air given to the roots helps it to become, aerated? Or woken up more?

That's all I can think of. It's a little bit of everything.
    New May 20th Routine

Thank you :) I never thought about detangling upside down and raking conditioner through all my hair from one side and then the other, so I'll definitely have to try that. I have tried scrunching gel into my roots upside down, but I never felt like I got enough to the roots, so I'll have to try again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    62f24bf2-53ab-d66c.jpg
    Picture of my hair after trying Chikyuu's advice

Update for me: I tried detangling upside down and then raking the conditioner in from one side to the other, and while I'm not sure if that did much for any root wave I have, it definitely increased the clumping I had. What did increase the root wave (starting a little higher than I realized it did before, but still not all the way at the root) was scrunching upside down and really getting the product in at the root. I'm curious about doing the same method after using some of the Renpure Reconstructor I have to see if that helps at all. It did end up losing some of the wave after a few hours but I don't mind that; plus it gave me loose 2a 2nd day waves. Thanks for the advice Chikyuu :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No problem! I'm trying new stuff all the time XP
    New May 20th Routine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file