So apparently Wendy Williams didn't like Viola's stunningly beautiful look.

Comments

• knt1229knt1229 Posts: 93Registered Users
    For me, it's not about who's beautiful and who's not. It's about Wendy Williams perpetuating the idea that kinky hair is unacceptable. It's especially egregious when you consider how Wendy styles herself. Obviously, she thinks over the top weave, tight clothes, a pound of makeup, and fake boobs is more red carpet ready than the simple and elegant look of Viola. Clearly, Wendy has some issues embracing and accepting her own naturalness.

Black women keep claiming that it is European beauty standards that hold us back when it seems that the reality is that we are own worst enemy. I have heard many favorable things about Viola's entire look from white fashion critics but leave it to the sista to inform everybody how inappropiate and unacceptable our natural kinky hair is. :sad10:
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My post had nothing to do with Viola's looks...let me be clear. My issue is Wendy had the unmitigated gall to compare elegance and class with the dressings of a 1970 sitcom set in a classroom.

This woman looked nothing like anything from the 1960's or 1970's classroom. Not no one on the show has short curly reddish brown...not no one. Wendy was calling her hair casual and not Oscar worthy, seriously???

vIa tHiS rAgEdY aSs pHoNe

This entire post is your opinion. You're basically saying that WW had the unmitigated gall to have a different opinion than you. I don't agree with what WW said, but I mean...she said it among her "critiques" of several celebrities at the Oscars. Talk show hosts, gossip magazines, etc, have been doing this for years. I just don't understand why this particular opinion has got people so upset.

LOL.. You REALLY don't ? I'll give you a hint. Read Soleil's post and think about it.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For the LAST time, she never said it wasn't "red carpet." She said that SHE didn't want to see it on the red carpet. There is a HUGE difference between the two statements. I'm sure there are PLENTY of things you all wouldn't want to see on the red carpet...like say, Wendy Williams? Are you in the wrong for saying that? No.

I'm sorry, I just smell a lot of defensiveness in this thread that often comes up pertaining to natural hair when no one would have such feelings for someone speaking their opinion about something else. That's...well...whatever you want it to be.

But please, raise your hand if you actually watched WW and heard it. Because I see a helluva lot of misquotes and tangents and assumptions.
    *Marah* wrote: »
    My post had nothing to do with Viola's looks...let me be clear. My issue is Wendy had the unmitigated gall to compare elegance and class with the dressings of a 1970 sitcom set in a classroom.

This woman looked nothing like anything from the 1960's or 1970's classroom. Not no one on the show has short curly reddish brown...not no one. Wendy was calling her hair casual and not Oscar worthy, seriously???

This entire post is your opinion. You're basically saying that WW had the unmitigated gall to have a different opinion than you. I don't agree with what WW said, but I mean...she said it among her "critiques" of several celebrities at the Oscars. Talk show hosts, gossip magazines, etc, have been doing this for years. I just don't understand why this particular opinion has got people so upset.

LOL.. You REALLY don't ? I'll give you a hint. Read Soleil's post and think about it.

Oh no. I know. I just refuse to believe that people can have opinions like that and act like it's...going to be reputable to everyone. Especially because there are SEVERAL FACTORS why WW didn't like her hair - it was NOT because it was natural, imo.

I think it was short hair - WW ALWAYS praises natural hair. So to sit there and throw her viewpoint to what is representative to all natural hair is absolutely disingenuous and FOS. Not everyone has to like twas, dammit. All these damn assumptions and naturals running out the woodworks...gets my goat, I'm sorry....jesus.

ETA: This is just cray to me. WW didn't agree with Viola's hair being best hair of the night = WW is a WOC and hates natural hair????? Good lord, no wonder why people think naturals are hella militant.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    For the LAST time, she never said it wasn't "red carpet." She said that SHE didn't want to see it on the red carpet. There is a HUGE difference between the two statements. I'm sure there are PLENTY of things you all wouldn't want to see on the red carpet...like say, Wendy Williams? Are you in the wrong for saying that? No.

I'm sorry, I just smell a lot of defensiveness in this thread that often comes up pertaining to natural hair when no one would have such feelings for someone speaking their opinion about something else. That's...well...whatever you want it to be.

But please, raise your hand if you actually watched WW and heard it. Because I see a helluva lot of misquotes and tangents and assumptions.

Hello!

Oh come on ...you can't possibly be naive enough to think that her saying she didn't want to see kinky hair on the red carpet isn't the same as her thinking kinky hair isn't acceptable especially when she started the comment with "no offense naturals". She is delivering the same message that most kinky haired naturals have to fight against everyday. It's the same rhetoric that makes it hard for many women to go and stay natural.
    knt1229 wrote: »

Oh come on ...you can't possibly be naive enough to think that her saying she didn't want to see kinky hair on the red carpet isn't the same as her thinking kinky hair isn't acceptable especially when she started the comment with "no offense naturals". She is delivering the same message that most kinky haired naturals have to fight against everyday. It's the same rhetoric that makes it hard for many women to go and stay natural.

It's that's the case why would she praise natural hair on the regular? Why? As I said before, I don't think it was the "kinkiness," I think it was the "lack" of hair. She said "no offense naturals" because she knows how the "natural hair community" (cough cough) reacts. AS MOST people are doing in this thread!

Oh no. I know. I just refuse to believe that people can have opinions like that and act like it's...going to be reputable to everyone. Especially because there are SEVERAL FACTORS why WW didn't like her hair - it was NOT because it was natural, imo.

I think it was short hair - WW ALWAYS praises natural hair. So to sit there and throw her viewpoint to what is representative to all natural hair is absolutely disingenuous and FOS. Not everyone has to like twas, dammit. All these damn assuptions and naturals running out the woodworks...gets my goat, I'm sorry....jesus.

ETA: This is just cray to me. WW didn't agree with Viola's hair being best hair of the night = WW is a WOC and hates natural hair????? Good lord, no wonder why people think naturals are hella militant.

+1 million. I've seen and heard Wendy say nice things about natural hair. I've seen her express that she is natural herself but she's embarrassed about her own hair because it's so thin..so thin you can see her scalp she said.

But I knew what this whole thing was about from the door..just like I did the other day. And it's not just limited to this natural hair issue..it's a whole lot more behind this.. but I'm sure you know.

It's that's the case why would she praise natural hair on the regular? Why? As I said before, I don't think it was the "kinkiness," I think it was the "lack" of hair. She said "no offense naturals" because she knows how the "natural hair community" (cough cough) reacts. AS MOST people are doing in this thread!

Well (cough, cough) if she knows it's offensive then she shouldn't have said it.

And since she chose to say it, weeell, she's getting as good as she gave it.

I think it was short hair - WW ALWAYS praises natural hair. So to sit there and throw her viewpoint to what is representative to all natural hair is absolutely disingenuous and FOS. Not everyone has to like twas, dammit. All these damn assuptions and naturals running out the woodworks...gets my goat, I'm sorry....jesus.

+1 million. I've seen and heard Wendy say nice things about natural hair. I've seen her express that she is natural herself but she's embarrassed about her own hair because it's so thin..so thin you can see her scalp she said.

But I knew what this whole thing was about from the door..just like I did the other day. And it's not just limited to this natural hair issue..it's a whole lot more behind this.. but I'm sure you know.
    Marah....sho' you right. Let me get outta here before I bust a vein.

And you can't possibly be naive enough to think that
    certain naturals act like if someone says they don't like ANYTHING about natural hair..(especially if a black person says it) suddenly that person is anti-natural hair and downing black women's natural looks. As well as perpetuating some self hatred bs. Wendy isn't using any rhetoric that keeps women from going natural and staying natural. She gave her view about a doggone Oscar look.

Many black women don't go natural because they have bought into the European standard of beauty hook, line, and sinker. And dog EACHOTHER constantly about having "nappy hair", "kinky hair", "not that good hair". That's some stuff that BEEN going on before Wendy Williams was a notion in her parents mind. She can't be blamed for that mess. Furthermore, all she said was she didn't think the hair was red carpet. So what..it's not an indictment of nappy hair and black women. But certain folks want to put that on it and make it a personal issue. When she ain't said no such a thing.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    *haven't read through thread yet*

i just wanna say that i think alot of this outrage stems from a) conflating twa with natural hair and b) the usual "someone said something not nice about natural hair! get the pitchforks!" thing that seems to happen a lot in the'natural community'

a) wendy didn't like viola's TWA, she didn't say she didn't like natural hair at all. from what i hear, she compliments longer haired naturals all the time. if she doesn't like short natural hair... eh, so? a lot of ppl don't, which is why some opt to transition for years before BCing.

b) this is honestly getting annoying. i don't really see the need to be offended every time someone says something about natural hair that you don't like. it's not like wendy said "perm that nappy sh*t, heaux!" she just said she didn't like it. furthermore, from what i've seen of ppl's reactions to what wendy said, half the ppl getting mad didn't even know what room 222 was, and didn't even bother to google the dang show before getting all upset. i googled it, homegirl on the show's hair doesn't even look BAD, it's not like she compared viola to buckwheat or anything. she just doesn't like that particular style.

i'll tell y'all what i'm offended about: i'm offended by folks who are acting like gabby sidibe deserves the same amount of praise for that matted thing she had on her as as viola does for her twa. now THAT is offensive to me.

haven't read the thread yet. disregard if what i've said is no longer relevant. i just have a sh*tload of schoolwork to do and i wanted to ad my $0.02 before i forget.

no... i'm not telling you how you should feel about anything, just giving my opinion on the matter.

no... i don't have an issue w/ viola's hair. i thought she looked cute.

no... i'm not really a fan of wendy williams.

no... i sure didn't proofread this post before clicking submit.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif

Well (cough, cough) if she knows it's offensive then she shouldn't have said it.

She got WAY more than she gave.. so to act otherwise is being unfair and fudging facts. And folks say a lot of offensive stuff.. including you. So I don't see why you are holding WW to a standard YOU don't even follow and the gang here doesn't.

It's ALL hypocrisy.

certain naturals act like if someone says they don't like ANYTHING about natural hair..(especially if a black person says it) suddenly that person is anti-natural hair and downing black women's natural looks. As well as perpetuating some self hatred bs. Wendy isn't using any rhetoric that keeps women from going natural and staying natural. She gave her view about a doggone Oscar look.

Many black women don't go natural because they have bought into the European standard of beauty hook, line, and sinker. And dog EACHOTHER constantly about having "nappy hair", "kinky hair", "not that good hair". That's some stuff that BEEN going on before Wendy Williams was a notion in her parents mind. She can't be blamed for that mess. Furthermore, all she said was she didn't think the hair was red carpet. So what..it's not an indictment of nappy hair and black women. But certain folks want to put that on it and make it a personal issue. When she ain't said no such a thing.

You are exactly right good hair bad hair has been around for centuries. However, Wendy's comments are perpetuating the idea that kinky hair isn't acceptable just as many other black women perpetuate it. It is what it is and I'm not going to laugh it off just because Wendy praised natural hair in the past. So what. I know racist whites who praise black athletes. It doesn't mean they are down for the black race.

And considering the way she styles herself she probably has some problems with her own naturalness. Yeah, yeah I've heard of her disease that has caused her hair to thin but really all the over the top weave. Come on.
    Sure she has the right, I guess. The way she goes about it is messy though. It gets under people's skin... but I guess that's why she's made her way up to getting a TV show. that's her gimmick. That's more so what people were getting at, not that "she has no right" to say what she says. And... She's not ugly per se, but at times she looks like a man in drag... which, since that's not really what she's going for, is a bad look in my eyes. Lol. I'm just saying, it's strange. As far as I'm concerned, she can still kill herself immediately for that comment.

If people in here were THAT concerned over her being messy they'd be pretty hypocritical considered Wendy didn't stoop to calling Viola any names, she didn't say she was ugly, she didn't say any hurtful comments about Viola's appearance. Yet this thread is FULL of insults about Wendy's appearance. So I think it's a little more than that...

So I'm just not buying this is simply a matter of how messy Wendy is when she gives her opinions about folks looks.. when this entire thread is messy with way worse insults about her. And I'm not suggesting people don't have the right to be messy in here. I'm just saying if others can be "messy" then they shouldn't really expect others to not be. LOL!

I personally think Wendy's gotten a little less messy since her older radio days. She's a far cry from that.. I used to listen to her radio show back in the day and I literally couldn't stand her..she sickened me. At least now I can listen to her without wanting to snatch her wig off and smack her. Cause I'll never forget that ish she pulled with Whitney Houston. I didn't like that worth a damn.

What happened with her and Whitney, if you don't mind me asking? I never listened to her on the radio. I just remember she had that bum b*tch song, right? Was that her? I just remember my friend from NY was always playing it, lol.

i think that was miss jones. that sounds like something miss jones would do lol.

She got WAY more than she gave.. so to act otherwise is being unfair and fudging facts. And folks say a lot of offensive stuff.. including you. So I don't see why you are holding WW to a standard YOU don't even follow and the gang here doesn't.

It's ALL hypocrisy.

I'm stating my opinion just like Wendy. If you don't like it exit stage left, baby. Nobody is forcing you to read anything I type.

Like I said before Wendy's opinion is a load of horse ****. Viola looked great and I'm glad she rocked her natural hair.

It's a shame a white person appreciated it but a sista like Wendy would rather big up a wig and bunch of horse hair. Chile please.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users

i just wanna say that i think alot of this outrage stems from a) conflating twa with natural hair and b) the usual "someone said something not nice about natural hair! get the pitchforks!" thing that seems to happen a lot in the'natural community'

a) wendy didn't like viola's TWA, she didn't say she didn't like natural hair at all. from what i hear, she compliments longer haired naturals all the time. if she doesn't like short natural hair... eh, so? a lot of ppl don't, which is why some opt to transition for years before BCing.

b) this is honestly getting annoying. i don't really see the need to be offended every time someone says something about natural hair that you don't like. it's not like wendy said "perm that nappy sh*t, heaux!" she just said she didn't like it. furthermore, from what i've seen of ppl's reactions to what wendy said, half the ppl getting mad didn't even know what room 222 was, and didn't even bother to google the dang show before getting all upset. i googled it, homegirl on the show's hair doesn't even look BAD, it's not like she compared viola to buckwheat or anything. she just doesn't like that particular style.

i'll tell y'all what i'm offended about: i'm offended by folks who are acting like gabby sidibe deserves the same amount of praise for that matted thing she had on her as as viola does for her twa. now THAT is offensive to me.

haven't read the thread yet. disregard if what i've said is no longer relevant. i just have a sh*tload of schoolwork to do and i wanted to ad my $0.02 before i forget.

no... i'm not telling you how you should feel about anything, just giving my opinion on the matter.

You know you read the thread.lol
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    I still stand by what I said. Any individual who looks like a drag queen clearly is in no position to critic anyone. My comment has nothing to do with beauty, mine is strictly based on the comparison of Viola's red carpet look to that of a 1970's tv show based in a classroom. That's rude, so she gets what she dished out.

This has nothing to do with Viola's beauty, I think she beautiful and hopefully Viola knows she is beautiful because that the end of the day Viola's opinon of herself is what matters. Spewing negativity only adds fuel to the fire, reality is a beast and can break an individual down. Sometimes people need to shut the ufck up and let others enjoy their 15seconds...in this case Wendy should have chosen a better comparison or just said she wasn't too thrilled with the overall look but noooo she didn't so the backlash is a muthaufcka. I didn't hear her say anything about the chick running around looking like peter pan, Michelle Williams, now that hairstyle is befitting of Room 222 or Neverland.

room-222-actors.jpg

the woman in the topr right pic is who wendy was comparing her to, right? i honestly don't see what's so offensive about the comparison. the woman doesn't really look bad... i don't get it.

okay... let me finish reading.

but wait... why can't she say she doesn't like a hairstyle b/c other ppl think she's ugly?!

You are exactly right good hair bad hair has been around for centuries. However, Wendy's comments are perpetuating the idea that kinky hair isn't acceptable just as many other black women perpetuate it. It is what it is and I'm not going to laugh it off just because Wendy praised natural hair in the past. So what. I know racist whites who praise black athletes. It doesn't mean they are down for the black race.

And considering the way she styles herself she probably has some problems with her own naturalness. Yeah, yeah I've heard of her disease that has caused her hair to thin but really all the over the top weave. Come on.

When did she wear weaves? I only see wigs. And have you seen her hair? If my hair looked like that, I'd wear wigs too.

The fact is WW not perpetuating any idea that kinky hair isn't acceptable. You and many others are READING that into it simply because that's what you want to do. You and many others come off as hyper sensitive about it because it offends your own sensibilities as a person with natural hair or an affinity for it which in turn translates into issues with black beauty... because there is no other logical reasoning and evidence that proves otherwise.

Dismissing her hair issues and saying you don't care she praises natural hair..doesn't change the facts.
    ummm.... i'm looking at some of my inbox messages, and some of the posts in here.... and i see a DIRECT contradiction of the logic being used up in here right now. i'm just saying, major side eye for that.

anywho.. lemme get back to reading these articles.

When did she wear weaves? I only see wigs. And have you seen her hair? If my hair looked like that, I'd wear wigs too.

All I know is that she wears fake hair. Wigs and weaves are all the same to me. The point is it's fake.

Yea, I've seen a pic of her hair on the internet. It was long and very thin. So thin you can see scalp. She needs the fake hair. But her fake hair is still over the top. :geek:

It's ALL hypocrisy.

I'm stating my opinion just like Wendy. If you don't like it exit stage left, baby. Nobody is forcing you to read anything I type.

Like I said before Wendy's opinion is a load of horse ****. Viola looked great and I'm glad she rocked her natural hair.

It's a shame a white person appreciated it but a sista like Wendy would rather big up a wig and bunch of horse hair. Chile please.

If I didn't want to read what you said.. I wouldn't have. I'm trying to discuss with you. Now if YOU don't want to discuss it anymore.. just say that.. I already know what I can do and don't need any help. I got it.

Back to the SUBJECT of your post:
    So frickken what a white person "appreciated a sista". Why does it always have to come down to that.. cause a white person did something a negro didn't. SO ? Does a black person have to big up what every negro does just cause they share the same racial background ? Should you big up Herman Cain cause he black and you are black ? I mean you know some white folks appreciated a brotha. That's bogus. You know it..and I know it.

WW doesn't owe Viola anything simply because both of them are black. If she didn't like the doggone hairstyle for the red carpet..she just didn't. It doesn't have to be some underlying issue she MUST have with natural hair.

Maybe WW's opinion is horse manure..but if it is.. yours can easily fit that category as well. :)

The fact is WW not perpetuating any idea that kinky hair isn't acceptable. You and many others are READING that into it simply because that's what you want to do. You and many others come off as hyper sensitive about it because it offends your own sensibilities as a person with natural hair or an affinity for it which in turn translates into issues with black beauty... because there is no other logical reasoning and evidence that proves otherwise.

Dismissing her hair issues and saying you don't care she praises natural hair..doesn't change the facts.

First off your opinion isn't a fact it's just an opinion. Secondly, when you start a comment with you don't want to offend but...it pretty much seals the deal that you don't approve of something. So because of your sensibilties, insecurities or whatever you have going on you have decided that I have a personal problem. When the reality is I don't agree with what she said. She didn't say she doesn't like short hair, she didn't say she doesn't like TWA's or that hairstyle. She began with saying she didn't want to offend naturals which means she doesn't like the hair itself.

It's kind of like when your white friend says no offense to black people but most of them are criminals. It doesn't change the fact that what they are saying is racist. But I guess someone like you would say, "Oh, she can't be racist or hold racist beliefs because she has black friends."

And btw..don't try to psychoanalyze folks that you don't know.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users

It's ALL hypocrisy.

If I didn't want to read what you said.. I wouldn't have. I'm trying to discuss with you. Now if YOU don't want to discuss it anymore.. just say that.. I already know what I can do and don't need any help. I got it.

So frickken what a white person "appreciated a sista". Why does it always have to come down to that.. cause a white person did something a negro didn't. SO ? Does a black person have to big up what every negro does just cause they share the same racial background ? Should you big up Herman Cain cause he black and you are black ? I mean you know some white folks appreciated a brotha. That's bogus. You know it..and I know it.

WW doesn't owe Viola anything simply because both of them are black. If she didn't like the doggone hairstyle for the red carpet..she just didn't. It doesn't have to be some underlying issue she MUST have with natural hair.

Maybe WW's opinion is horse manure..but if it is.. yours can easily fit that category as well. :)

tumblr_luue9kxnjD1qe1x31o2_500.gif
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    CocoT wrote: »

You know you read the thread.lol

i swear i didn't read past the first page before making that post! lol. this type of thing is just really predictable at this point.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users

Like you psychoanalyzed WW as self-hating or whatever?

The hypocrisy is STRONG all up in this thread.

I admire the dedication to the cause though, :notworthy:

The lengths folks are going to to....this is a very hot topic, and that sort of speaks for itself, I think.

It's ALL hypocrisy.

Well, you know what you can do with my opinion if you don't like it.

We don't agree that's obvious. You constantly telling me that my opinion has no more value than Wendy's isn't going to change my mind.

WW doesn't have to like kinky hair just because she's black. But I find it strange that a black person wouldn't like something that is authentic to many members of the race.

If you think WW's opinion is all good then hey rep that **** to the fullest. But don't try to force it on me because I don't agree with WW's opinion at all.

Kinky hair is acceptable to me on the red carpet, at the mall, at home or anywhere else. I rock mine all day everyday.

First off your opinion isn't a fact it's just an opinion. Secondly, when you start a comment with you don't want to offend but...it pretty much seals the deal that you don't approve of something. So because of your sensibilties, insecurities or whatever you have going on you have decided that I have a personal problem. When the reality is I don't agree with what she said. She didn't say she doesn't like short hair, she didn't say she doesn't like TWA's or that hairstyle. She began with saying she didn't want to offend naturals which means she doesn't like the hair itself.

It's kind of like when your white friend says no offense to black people but most of them are criminals. It doesn't change the fact that what they are saying is racist. But I guess someone like you would say, "Oh, she can't be racist or hold racist belief because she has black friends."

Yeah it is a fact. The evidence speaks for itself. If you choose to ignore those facts that's a separate issue. I'm personally not arguing that WW didn't approve of the hairstyle but it was specifically FOR THE EVENT. You are reading more into the comment she made..that's another fact based on evidence.

I don't have any insecurities about any of this discussion. So all of that BS you are talking in the middle trying to be slick with the mouth.. you can miss me on it. Cause I'm not trying to go to the nasty, rude, and one up a sista snapping neck and rolling eyes bs talk. I'm just trying to have a discussion with you. Nothing more.

I don't have any white friends that would say some BS like what you posted so it's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. If you have white friends like that..get better friends I guess.

Take your own advice and don't psycholanalyze folks YOU don't know..cause you are sure bending backwards, forwards, and sideways to do it with Wendy. So it's a lot of the pot calling the kettle where you are concerned on this particular issue.

Look.. I think we better end this.. I agree to disagree with you. No hard feelings on my end. Take care..if you have to get the last word..so be it.

Well, you know what you can do with my opinion if you don't like it.

We don't agree that's obvious. You constantly telling me that my opinion has no more value than Wendy's isn't going to change my mind.

WW doesn't have to like kinky hair just because she's black. But I find it strange that a black person wouldn't like something that is authentic to many members of the race.

If you think WW's opinion is all good then hey rep that **** to the fullest. But don't try to force it on me because I don't agree with WW's opinion at all.

Kinky hair is acceptable to me on the red carpet, at the mall, at home or anywhere else. I rock mine all day everyday.

Okay..okay..blah blah..yada yada..and whatever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file