Hairstyles for very fine 4a hair

cocobeancocobean Posts: 39Registered Users
Hi, wondering if anyone has any style pics for very fine hair. I'm tired of twists (they look very limp with scalp showing). Same problem goes for twist-outs.

Comments

• Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    How long is your hair?
  • cocobeancocobean Posts: 39Registered Users
    My hair is barely grazing the shoulders. To be honest, I need it to be cut and shaped; it kinda looks like a mullet :-? The nape grows fastest. I'm just apprehensive about finding a good hair stylist for natural hair in my part of Jersey. I had a bad salon experience once, and have shied away since then .
    Check out Tinuke of Coilybella.com. She has very fine, thin, and short hair and she's got some awesome styles on there.

A tip for twists - make them smaller to hide the scalpiness. Tinuke does this as well.
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Check out Tinuke of Coilybella.com. She has very fine, thin, and short hair and she's got some awesome styles on there.

A tip for twists - make them smaller to hide the scalpiness. Tinuke does this as well.

+1. Also part them at an angle.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • ultracurlzultracurlz Posts: 213Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cut it yourself! >:D

unless you have really unsteady hands. In that case,
    DON'T CUT IT YOURSELF! :3

I don't know what to do with 4a hair that long... mine is still twa/fro size XD:afro:
    I find that insainly awesome though XD
    :notworthy:

errrr. braids? there are lots of cool style XD and then there are weave type things...

but you could be like me and say

NO.:angry1: cause it would take forever and cost money XD

In that case I suggest sitting down infront of a mirror (or standing up, what ever you prefer XD) and playing with it every time you get out of the shower or something and don't have any were to go :3

IMAGINE ALL THE POSIBILITIES! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

:3
    Hope it helped XD

toodles.
    3C/4A mix (Seriously it's all over the place)
    Hair is kinda fine and kinda thick.
    Super short, I'd like definition but styling products don't like me

Profile pic taken the February 2015
    Chopped off (was shoulder length) November 2014
    Girl, I woudn't cut it myself :lol:
    Now, I have considered weaves, but, um.........
    off topic-
    anyone ever notice twists may cause more breakage than plaits?
    cocobean wrote: »
    off topic-
    anyone ever notice twists may cause more breakage than plaits?

Prob depends on how you do them. Twists on wet hair might cause more tangles than twists done on dry or slightly damp, stretched hair. Twists are one of my fave protective style, and they're faster to put in than braids/plaits, and don't cause me breakage.

Oh - also depends on how you take them out (if we're talking mini here.)
    you are one of those people who trust others with their hair. XD My mother broke me of that >.> I did my "big chop" myself with a pair of little kid scissors (the kind from elementary school) in my bathroom on a wim. XD

It was ooooooodd. :cyclops:
    but I love it now XD

That was completely irrelevent I think.... :3

weaves wouldn't suit me. I'm not the "pretty" type (look at that, tww quotes in one post. Am I on a role or what?:laughing8:) anyway....I forget your other question...

• Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lol Ultracurlz! You seem very, erm jolly! :D

You high or sumfin? :goofy:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • NstinctiVnaturNstinctiVnatur Posts: 127Registered Users
    I have the same problem when I twist. So I wet them after twisting then put two corn rolls in it to stretch it back out. I wish I had dense hair :( but i guess it could be worse.
    Never:love5: relaxed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Experimenting in creating my own products.
  • periwrinkleperiwrinkle Posts: 130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is fine and thin and I rarely wear twists because they look too scalpy. I do wear twist outs, though. If I don't feel like doing a lot of fluffing, I usually roll my twists on those satin covered foam rollers. Afer letting them set, I unroll and untwist my hair, and the results give the illusion of fuller hair without all the fluffing. This weekend, I also tried a rollerset which came out looking decent for my first time. I will come back to post pics. HTH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hair Type: 3c/4a

Still searching for my staple products. Maybe I can be faithful to a set of products one day.
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I was about to ask the same thing! Lol

On my EVO
    My hair is fine and thin and I rarely wear twists because they look too scalpy. I do wear twist outs, though. If I don't feel like doing a lot of fluffing, I usually roll my twists on those satin covered foam rollers. Afer letting them set, I unroll and untwist my hair, and the results give the illusion of fuller hair without all the fluffing. This weekend, I also tried a rollerset which came out looking decent for my first time. I will come back to post pics. HTH.

Your hair looks full in your sig! Is it a twist out?

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:

Nope XD just a hyper teen in the middle of the night...:occasion9:
    like the bunny by the way XD :albino::albino::albino:

ultracurlz wrote: »

Good to know! :D Anyway, I love your hair and the mad shrinkage you've got! :thumright:

ultracurlz wrote: »

Good to know! :D Anyway, I love your hair and the mad shrinkage you've got! :thumright:

thanks a bunch XD

you are actually the first person who's commented on the lenght and not asked me why I ddon't I straiten it....

of course, they were all very white teenaged girls (and two guys), but still it's refreshing XD

• NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm fine haired and have lots of styles in my fotki and on my channel

I also do cassia obovata to thicken/strengthen my strands...

Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
    :wave:Thanks.
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have fine hair that's about your length and I've found that wearing "out" protective styles (twist outs, braid outs, etc.)make my hair look less fine. And since my hair is fine, I don't need to do many twists/braids to get a decent result! (I usually do 8-10 twists on my entire head).

If I want to wear smaller twists (about 32, 8 per section) for a longer period of time, I don't do straight parts. It makes my hair look thicker since you can't see neat, tight compartments. You'd think this would make it look unprofessional and mess but it actually looks pretty good!
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • Po1sonIvyPo1sonIvy Posts: 2Registered Users
    cocobean wrote: »
    My hair is barely grazing the shoulders. To be honest, I need it to be cut and shaped; it kinda looks like a mullet :-? The nape grows fastest. I'm just apprehensive about finding a good hair stylist for natural hair in my part of Jersey. I had a bad salon experience once, and have shied away since then .

I don't know what part of Jersey you live in, but if it is south Jerz you may want to try Kinhairtage. I go there like once a year but I love it. Also Shidanaturals does consultations there etc
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    are we just talking about fine hair or fine hair with low density? Just curious because my hair is low to medium density and some styles just don't look right on me.
  • periwrinkleperiwrinkle Posts: 130Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Your hair looks full in your sig! Is it a twist out?

I'm sorry. I just saw your post. Yes, this is a twistout. My hair was fuller then, due to previously being pregnant, but has thinned back out after postpartum shedding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hair Type: 3c/4a

Still searching for my staple products. Maybe I can be faithful to a set of products one day.
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    My hair is fine/medium with low density and I find that my hair looks fullest when I do twist and curls, braid and curls, or twisted bantu knot-outs (two or three strand twist then put into bantu knots).
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file