Trimming hair for growth?

unicyclistunicyclist Posts: 181Registered Users
Hi :)
I'm growing out my chin-length hair and haven't had it cut in a few months. I planned to not get a haircut for a while, but I heard you have to trim in order for optimal hair growth. However, my stylist is wonderful but ALWAYS go way too short no matter what I say. My friend said she could do it...but I have layers, and that might be a problem. Is it worth the risk to go to my stylist, asking my friend to cut it despite the layers, or should I just leave it be and not cut it at all?

Thanks!
Routine
Weekly Shampoo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean + Coconut Oil
Co-wash/RO: Cure Care Skin & Hair Conditioner
LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Styler: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Techniques
  • combing to detangle and separate curls
  • scrunch 'n pump!
  • t-shirt turban
Hair :love1: coconut oil and protein
Hair :angry7: silicones, sulfates, glycerin, synthetic ingredients

2c/C/ii/low porosity. Growing out!
*November- above chin
*January- at chin
*March- around collarbone
:)

Comments

• Libra_MoonLibra_Moon Posts: 255Registered Users
    id say leave it, let it grow cant be damaged yet?
    if I do go to a stylist (which I dont anymore) i take a ruler with me to sho them how long MY inch is.
    alsoif you want an inch taken off, tell them you want a half inch, that way if they cut 3/4 you wont go away upset.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing out Pixie since 5-10-2008 with some trims and anxiety chops along the way...
    hair details: BSL(c)/MBL(s) - 2b/2c (MPD if truth be told) - f/m, iii, porosity med-low.
    Please feel free to follow my FB blog page as I go through Cosmetology school abd beyond
    what else do you need/want to know? Blame all spelling mistakes on me, my fat fingers or autocorrect.
    oh yeah, and I'm newly gluten free...thanks to celiac
  • Honeyb0000Honeyb0000 Posts: 42Registered Users
    You might add the term "dust" to your hair vocabulary too. That means the stylist literally takes so little off the ends it looks like dust. I know it's kind of silly to pay for a haircut and lose no hair. But if you want to freshen up without taking length that might be worth trying. I have been dusting every few months for a year and my hair has had a chance to grow.

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
    Shampoo: Pure Life Lavender
    Condish Pure Life Lavender, GFTN
    LI: Deva OneC
  • luvscurlzluvscurlz Posts: 109Registered Users
    Girl I'm in the same boat. I'm growing out my hair and it has grown so much I'm liking it so much better now BUT I need a trim bad. My hairstylist always cuts way too much and it's so layered I can't do it myself or let a friend do it :-( So right now I'm just rocking the split ends like they're in style LOL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.lenasblend.com
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    When I was old enough to take over care of my own hair from my mother, the only real change I made was regularly trimming split ends from my hair. Back then, I didn't know anything about curly hair care, so I was still using sulfates and silicones as well as blow-drying and using hot-rollers when I wanted to "do" my hair for an occasion. Just that one change (trimming the split ends) made all the difference though -- My hair grew to elbow length for the first time in my life!

Of course it wasn't difficult then since I was starting off with shoulder length hair; pulling sections of it forward to see split ends and cut them off was easy. Now I'm in the same boat as others who want their hair to grow but seem to get too much cut off when they go to their stylist. I guess if your hair's not damage/doesn't have split ends, I agree with the suggestion that you keep putting off getting a professional trim.

Btw, in The Curly Girl Handbook, there's a chapter on cutting your own hair. Re-reading that this past week gave me courage to trim this one section of hair that was bothering the heck out of me. It came out pretty good! (Although I'm fighting the urge to trim off just a little more :p)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • jaclyn15jaclyn15 Posts: 227Registered Users
    I am in a similar situation! After a horrible experience with DevaCut, I had to have my hair re-cut in order to "fix" the uneven mess DevaCut gave me! So now I'm growing out and trying to take the best care of my hair possible to avoid damage.

Something I have learned is that there is no reason to cut your hair if it is not damaged (unless you want a different shape or style, of course). Trimming does not make your hair grow any faster and it doesn't change your hair's properties. If your hair is manageable and your ends are not dry/damaged, then let it be :happy8:

The one thing I would recommend if you aren't getting cuts as frequently is giving your hair extra TLC to avoid damage from happening. I do weekly DTs and avoid head styling and the like.

Good luck!!
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it! :hello1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file