CurlTalk

Menopause update

MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
Hi Curlies, I haven't been here much since I discovered facebook (easier to keep in touch with everyone, not just my curlfriends) but I was thinking of you all lately because menopause is a pain and I wanted someone to talk to about it! (I have only one friend who is menopausal and she doesn't have the issues I have!)
My last period was in April 2010-I was 47. The previous fall, just after I turned 46, things really went downhill-my hair was a dry, frizzy mess, my skin was horrendous-dry, SUPER sensitive, breaking out all over, I gained so much weight, I was exhausted, etc etc....I had a few hot flashes now and then but not too bad at all.
I did not want to go the HRT route, so I tried just about everything else, but nothing worked.
So-I suffered.
Fortunately, my hair and skin have rebounded, I have lost the extra weight and feel pretty okay except for the damned hot flashes! The ones I had initially were NOTHING like the ones I have now!
I have one every hour-almost on the hour-and they are almost painful.
I sweat profusely(omg,my underboobs are the worst!)
and if I am asleep, I am wide awake in an instant.I have a fan by my bed to blow on me and that does help.
They last about 3-4 minutes.
I already can't fall asleep so the constant waking is pretty annoying.
I REALLY do not want to do the HRT.
Tell me, ladies-what is working for YOU?
Oh-I discovered that caffeine is NOT my friend!

Love ya,
Mar
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,495Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Mar, i hate to tell you this, but i decided to go the HRT route. my hot flashes were SO bad that i was throwing up and having panic attacks. for the past 10 months, the brain fog and hot flashes are gone and i can sleep through the night most nights without chemical assistance.

i am much happier this way.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I can't offer anything but hugs, since at 55 I haven't even BEGUN menopause. Quite the opposite. I now have long heavy periods every 2-3 weeks. grumble grumble.

My cousin, who is almost exactly my age, has such terrible hot flashes and seems so miserable, so I feel for you guys.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,088Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    i was taking vitamin e gelcaps 400 mg/day when i hit menopause, then i read that 800mg/day can help with hot flashes, so i did that. i never had a hot flash, there were occasional nights when i'd feel warm, but if i kicked off the blankets i was good.
    i can say that i had run out of the gelcaps and had to buy the capsules (dry vit e) instead, used them for several days, and felt the difference - i was definitely headed toward mild hot flashes. i was able to buy the gelcaps then and my body went back to normal.

i'm not saying it can 'cure' hot flashes, as i might not have had strong ones, but it most definitely made a difference.

everyone's body is different and will respond and not respond to various things, so it's trial and error. i am sure others will join in with what worked for them. if you do a search i am pretty sure there is another thread in this forum on the same topic with other remedies.

hope you find what works for you soon! it certainly is freeing not to have periods, and once you are feeling better, you will enjoy it.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Head over to Power-Surge, the portal for everything menopause. Very active discussion board with a lot of topics. But be careful - it can get depressing as so many people over there have literally been DERAILED by peri-menopause, menopause, and post-menopause - each stage of the transition having its own challenges. One has to kind of pick and choose what to read all of.
    However, every woman is different in how her body handles this. A clue to how one will handle it oneself, look to one's mother or older sister, especially if one has the same lifestyle and dietary habits. But if one has been on a very health-conscious path that is very different from one's relatives, then one might not suffer the same stuff. Then there are the rare birds who hardly notice a thing, the vast majority that notice at least something or several things, and the smaller group that is indeed derailed.
    Hope this helps!
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users
    Mar, I'm sorry you're having a hard time!

I turned 50 in November and the only symptom I see so far is shorter/less regular cycles. On the internet and elsewhere, "age 50" seems to be a shorthand for "menopausal," but it's not hitting here yet. I know it will happen sometime (obviously), but it's a weird waiting game. It's not as if my periods are useful anymore--I could kid myself until age 45 or so that I was still of childbearing age.

Are women who reached puberty late (I did--I was almost 15 when I had my first period) also supposed to reach menopause late?
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Verity wrote: »
    Mar, I'm sorry you're having a hard time!

I turned 50 in November and the only symptom I see so far is shorter/less regular cycles. On the internet and elsewhere, "age 50" seems to be a shorthand for "menopausal," but it's not hitting here yet. I know it will happen sometime (obviously), but it's a weird waiting game. It's not as if my periods are useful anymore--I could kid myself until age 45 or so that I was still of childbearing age.

Are women who reached puberty late (I did--I was almost 15 when I had my first period) also supposed to reach menopause late?

Actually, I think it's supposed to be the opposite - late onset of puberty is associated with earlier menopause. At least that's my recollection....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are correct, 2Poodles.

I took black cohosh and ate soy (which I detested) a lot when I first went through meno. Not sure if it helped, but I had a very easy time of it.

Mar, caffeine will trigger hot flashes, as will alcohol. It makes me shiver just to read about what you are going through. I hope it gets better!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for the tips!
    I will continue my search for solutions!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    never did HRT--made it thru menopause ok with lots of exercise, took vit D and E and "menopause 1" multi--hot flashes were not too bad for me..good luck!! last period age 54.
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    No HRT here. I'm 18 months into my menopause (at age 48...50 now), and my hot flashes have dwindled substantially. I'm only having maybe 1 or 2 a week. Very managable. That might just be because it's winter though. I'm thinking they may come back more in the summer, as heat seemed to really exacerbate them last summer. We'll see. I've found I can ward off the flashes if I catch them early, before they have the chance to become a progressive vicious cycle of sweating and freezing. I have a multitude of gadgets to keep me cool if I feel one coming on. My kids laugh at me, but I keep a "menopause survival kit" in a small insulated lunch bag that I take with me most places. It has my battery-operated fan, a couple washcloths, cologne, and neck chillers in it. I have a "cooling pad" that I bought at the pharmacy, that I place under me when sleeping if I'm having a hot night. I shower or bathe EVERY night before bed (and again in the morning), because I sleep so much better if I'm clean and calm. Getting enough sleep seems to be crucial in avoiding excessive flashes. I get more when I'm tired, so I try not to be tired.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,424Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Have y'all read this book? It's stinkin' hilarious.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the picture of her hair!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Just went to ebay and bought it! Thanks for posting the info. Love the title and the story of her friend, and of course her hair!
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • valcavevalcave Posts: 27Registered Users
    Omg curlies! I turn 50 this year and no hot flashes yet. I have noticed so far fatigue (extreme) , mood , hair and skin changes! Have any of you tried bioidentical hormone replacement? I've seriously been thinking about giving it a try.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, girlfriends. I am 60, and my last period was about 5 years ago. My doctor asked me when my last period was (at the time), and I was surprised to find it had been so long. She ran an FSH level, and announced "That's it! You're done". I asked her when I was going to have hot flashes. She laughed and said "You're not, you're one of the lucky ones". I was surprised as both my mom and my sister had them - bad. To date, I sometimes wake up in the night frequently, and I go from too warm to feeling cold very quickly. I cant remember names very well, but I dont know if that is new. The biggest issue for me is - I cant lose weight!! does anyone else have this issue, and has ANYTHING worked??
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users
    I had my last period just before my 50th birthday. I went it 'cold turkey,' basically not taking anything.

It was a piece of cake. I was so happy to be past PMS that a few hot flashes were nothing!
  • fitover40fitover40 Posts: 83Registered Users
    It's been a year and a half since my last cycle (when I was 46). In the last 6 months major sleep issues, energy, hot flashes, hair/skin, memory, geez, you name it I feel like I have it. I thought that's how I was supposed to feel. Went in for my annual checkup and I think I sounded like a mad woman (probably from the lack of sleep), took some blood to check my levels. FSH is fine so not menopausal, but I had absolutely no Estrogen. Doc isn't sure why my ovaries aren't producing Estrogen anymore but is recommending to treat like menopause with HRT. I just want a decent night's sleep and the energy I used to have. Will see how it goes on the HRT. Both sisters were 53 before they stopped, not sure why I'm different. It seems most people just don't get how awful you can feel.
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011
    wish I had more hair, but making the best of it :angel9:
    My hair :love1: protein!
    It's a work in progress :love5:

No Poo: Deva No Poo, CJDF
    Low Poo: Abba Color Protect
    Rinse out: CJBC, OneC, CJAO
    Leave in: Shescentit Coco, CJBC LI, CJCF
    Curl enhancer: AG Recoil, MopC, KMFUM, CK, CJ CCCL
    Gel: Ecostyler, ArcAngel, BRHG, GFPC, AIF
    PT: CJ Repair Me, IAGirls PT, BTZ PT

Techniques: SuperSoaker, Plopping, Pixie , Smasters
    I think I may be in menopause. Not real sure since I had a hysterectomy when I was 37. The doctor left my ovaries, though. I'm hopeful that I might be done since I'm about to turn 50 and my 48 y/o sister told me that her last period was 2 years ago.... And my mom finished up about age 48. I used to get hot flashes, but they haven't been bad lately. But without the evidence of periods stopping for over a year, it's hard to know for sure if I'm done.... Anyone else in a similar situation?
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• CyanbobcatCyanbobcat Posts: 65Registered Users
    I'll be 51 in a few months and my periods are becoming sporadic. For the past year they have been very heavy and painful :angry5:

I'm right there with Myrna... can't lose weight to save my life. I have an extra 10 right around the middle. I had the 'getting older' conversation with my old running buddy the other day. She is depressed. I told her that it appears to get better but I don't know that it does.

Here is how it appears to me... someone correct me if I'm wrong: women who are around 60 are "over" whining about the loss of youth. They have put on their big girl pants and gotten on with their lives. Right around 50 is when the signs of aging really start to creep up and slap you down. Accepting aging is something that occurs over the course of several years. Some of us might take longer than others. I'm struggling with my self image more than anything else. Periods be damned. My older sister has given up. She no longer does her hair and makeup on a daily basis... only for special occasions. I don't want to just surrender all but I don't want to fight it either. Isn't there a happy medium?

Sorry for the ramble. It's all very distressing. Menopause is the actual physical marker of aging but the mental part of it is just as real. Can anyone relate?
    I can absolutely relate, Cyanbobcat. I, too, have an extra 10 lbs that crept on over the past 18 months. Depending on what I wear, I can have the dreaded muffin top. Yuck. It's definitely harder to lose weight now.

As for the mental acceptance that I'm aging... Logically I know I am. Somedays my body certainly feels older - achy knees and back - but in my mind, I still feel the same that I always have. I can be totally surprised when I catch a glimpse of myself in a storefront window or - especially - when I see what my neck looks like when the mirror is looking up at it. When and how did THAT happen?? I still, and I hope always will, make some attempt to look good when I get dressed in the morning. Like you said, I don't want to just give up. But I also don't want to look like I'm trying too hard either. It's a balance. I'm trying to find that touch of grace so I can grow older gracefully.

I feel mostly the same way I always have but the world is reacting to me differently. That's hard to accept also. Clothing is a whole other issue.

I know what you mean about catching glimpses in mirrors and being taken by surprise... all over again.
    About the "can't lose weight" aspect of menopause and beyond, there are several factors that come into this, but before anyone gets totally depressed, there are ways which I'll get to in a minute here.
    One main factor, especially while the body is transitioning into the post-menopausal state, is that one's hormones are shifting. The estrogen that used to be pumped out by the ovaries is now being replaced by a different form of estrogen that is generated by fat cells that are increasing during the transition. Plus the fact that weight does shift to the middle of the body, exactly where we shouldn't have it at this time of life because then that leaves us vulnerable to diabetes, high cholesterol, and several different types of cancers, as well as heart disease. So there's real motivation right there to get the fat off the mid-section. Work, I know! Also, the adrenals are picking up some of the hormonal production, and as a result of this stress, are pumping out more cortisol, which is notorious for packing on the belly fat in particular, as well as making one feel "wired and tired" all at the same time. Another factor is that the digestion of starchy carbohydrates in general changes at this time such that one absorbs more calories and we are also much more vulnerable to blood sugar issues like insulin resistance at this time, even we'd never had any previously! Higher cholesterol readings often accompany this state of affairs.
    What worked when we were way pre-menopausal does NOT work now. Menopause message boards are full of people with similar woes, as in putting on varying degrees of weight that seems to almost impossible to take off, especially while transitioning which actually takes place over a number of years, not BOOM and one is suddenly menopausal. Even after menopause(the time of absolutely last period)it can take a good ten, even 15 years for everything to settle down depending on one's body chemistry, lifestyle, and the amount of stress one has in one's life. That latter is a huge one - many women report difficult menopause experiences in general the more stressed, as well as the fact that the unhealthy habits of a lifetime come home to roost.
    Generally speaking, dieting alone doesn't work - it takes both diet AND a good bit more solid exercise than one thinks to take it off, and more time too. Many women do better cutting back on starchy carbohydrates, especially refined ones for the digestive reason stated above, and shifting to more vegetable carbs along with sufficient healthy protein and healthy fats. Now is NOT the time to go "low-fat" like everyone did during the 80s. During that time people did indeed go low-fat, but they replaced perfectly healthy fats like raw nuts, virgin oils, avocados, natural fats in seafood with stuff like bagels and pasta etc(both refined carbs)and got fatter instead. Also, DON'T believe the so-called official government food pyramid with it's 6-11 servings of grain products per day etc. It's the exact same pyramid that is used to fatten up cattle and that's exactly what happened to a lot of people. Menopausal women are especially vulnerable!
    On the exercise front, it really does take 3 days a week of solid weight-training, and a bare minimum of 4 days week(5-6 days is better)of cardio. By the latter, I don't mean just 20 minutes(although if that's all one can do in the beginning that's a great start)dawdling along - it has to be sweaty, breathing deep cardio, working up to 45 minutes to an hour. These sessions can be broken up with the newer high-intensity-training techniques that alternate hard-fast with slower-easier rhythms on the cardio machine of your choice, or outdoors running if one does that. The weight-training is important at any age, but crucial for aging people, because unless one does it meaningfully, then the age-related muscle loss is very real. This is a situation where one gradually loses muscle, which is then replace by fat tissue, which is much less metabolically-active and takes up much more space than muscle. This is why someone who is very fit who has built up a fair degree of muscle can be physically smaller and trimmer than someone else who hasn't, even with the same height, weight and starting body structure. Depressingly enough, even with all this info out there about how beneficial the right exercise is for menopausal women, statistics show that post-menopausal women are the least-likely group to exercise meaningfully. I know this just from my own observation - I see extremely few women of my age(64) at the gym but plenty of older guys.
    Don't be one of these statistics - your body and your health will thank you for it! Sorry this was so long, but I had to pass some of what I know along - hope it helps someone out there.
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Caramix:

I understand and agree with everything you said. I would freakin' LOVE to exercise like you described. However, I have chronic low back pain; mild to moderate arthritis between L4 and L5, but I dont think that is so much the problem, as what happened to my back when I was recovering from a torn meniscus in '09, living alone at the time, in a townhouse with 4 flights of stairs. I think the reason that so few women our age exercise, is because, like me, they have some physical limitations. With back pain, it is very tricky; I can do something one day and be fine, next day same thing - and have pain. Its a viscious cycle. I know that carrying excess weight is not helping the back pain, but I cannot exercise enough, and vigorously enough, to make a real difference. If you have any suggestions regarding these issues, I will love to hear them. I walk as much as I can. That is my solution for the time being.
    @Myrna - I'm so sorry to hear that! I know that must be painful and limiting! I've had my own challenges along the way with injuries myself but fortunately I was able to get past them with good help. If one has lived long enough unless one has truly led a charmed life one has some old(or even more recent injury or other challenge to deal with).
    Have you tried acupuncture for both the back pain and arthritis? Also arthritis can be helped by dietary changes as often arthritis is caused by acidic crystals that build up in the joints. Often a more alkaline diet(google that) is suggested, along with gently rhythmic movements - those last to get beneficial fluids going on in the joints to lubricate them and make them feel better. A lot of times, arthritic patients are afraid to exercise for fear it will make it worse or hurt, but some sort of exercise is the very best thing one can do. You're on the mark for walking as much as you can - keep that up! That's a perfect example of the type of rhythmic exercise I was talking about for this. Also Tai Chi or Qi Gong - many people have been helped by these. Best of luck!
    As far as what I do myself, I do the weight training I recommended, 4-5 days of some form of cardio( the elliptical as that is low-impact - I never liked the pounding that even beginning running did to me, even when I was younger and tried it), hoop dancing at least a couple or more times a week, and Pilates mat class a couple of times a week. The cross-training seems to agree with me plus I have a lot of nervous energy that is best worked off by plenty of exercise, still at 64. My diet is largely vegetarian with an emphasis on fresh raw produce(but certainly not all - healthy cooked is in there too as I need it), lower amounts of whole-grain starches, and just a couple of the lighter proteins like seafood and eggs. I don't do well at all on heavy red meats or too much dairy.
    Hope this helps some, and again, best of luck!
    caramix3a - Let me just say that I appreciate the thoughtful and detailed posts you write! I always enjoy reading them when I come across them..... Great insight and suggestions!

• angelalynncangelalynnc Posts: 42Registered Users
    I found pretty good success in Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy. I did a lot of research on it before starting it and it is supposed to give you all the good stuff your body needs with out the side effects of synthetic hormones. I had a hysterectomy at 26yrs old and REALLY couldn't stand not having any hormones, mentally and physically I just can't seem to cope; but I take the very minimum amount that I need to function.
    I also have to really try and accept that I won't ever feel or look like I did prior to menopause, which some days is more depressing then others; but not always :headbang:
    Also, the Estradiol, which is a bio-identical form of estrogen, really helps keep my weight down.
    *hugs to you all going through this*
    :mrgreen: 2a/b
    Getting started & trying to figure it all out!
    angelalynnc - do you see a doctor or practitioner of some kind to help with diagnostics and dosing?

I am currently looking into this but it is all out of pocket and I'm sure it's probably costly.
  • angelalynncangelalynnc Posts: 42Registered Users
    Cyanbobcat wrote: »
    angelalynnc - do you see a doctor or practitioner of some kind to help with diagnostics and dosing?

I am currently looking into this but it is all out of pocket and I'm sure it's probably costly.
    Yes I see a Dr.; Bio-Identical Hormones have to be written with a prescription by a Dr. just like typical synthetic hormones are. I don't typically have insurance so I don't have to deal with that part of it to much; but cost is a factor for sure. Usually I would imagine the Dr. would be covered unless it was considered a 'specialist' but I hear that many of the prescriptions are not covered (my mom takes them as well), but I think some plans pay a portion of some of them. The Estradiol is only $4 Walmart, but that is the only one that is particularly cheap. I have had luck with finding that more and more of 'regular' OBGYN's are starting to have experience prescribing them and also I have found many of the actual compounding pharmacies where you would fill most of the prescriptions, often offer (sometimes free) consultation services where they will help determine what medicines are best suited for you and make the recommendation to your OBGYN if your Dr. is not experienced and you don't want to switch Dr's....
    --Sorry this is a long post! ha I'm defiantly not trying to convince anyone, one way or another; just saying what has worked for me and my family. Several members have all gone into menopause young so I am constantly searching for info!!
    :mrgreen: 2a/b
    Getting started & trying to figure it all out!
  • curlee13curlee13 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Hi I'm 56 & had hysterectomy last June. Yes, same situation. I have both ovaries too without uterus my doc said in about 1 yr. you'll be done even though nothing happens. It's like I'm done now. I mean no other bothersome symptoms
    Gretchen wrote: »
    Have y'all read this book? It's stinkin' hilarious.

Got this today! I'm only a few chapters in but so far it is super entertaining and fun!

Leave a Comment