Critique this photo

The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
I mean the overall style of the pic: how she's laughing with mouth agape, how she's looking off camera, etc. Is it a nice photo in general...?

You can critique the makeup also if you like, but it was meant to be very natural. So there isn't much to critique there...
2183614.JPG
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• wavyblondewavyblonde Registered Users Posts: 1,637 Curl Neophyte
    There's something incongruous about the fact that it's a seated, posed, portrait-studio looking picture, given the backdrop and the position of her body, and the fact that she's doing a relaxed, candid reaction expression. I'd love the face and the off-camera focus if it were a photoshoot/modelling session. But here, it looks more like the Olan Mills photographer told a joke and then snapped a shot.

I love the joy in her face, though--I think she looks very pretty.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Great catch! Youre right!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    I think the lighting looks a too bright. There's a lot of reflected light on her face and it makes her look pale to me. My camera has has a way too bright flash on the auto settings, maybe I'm hyper-aware or projecting. I don't really know that much about photography.

From a compositional standpoint, I feel the bold shirt pulls too much attention. In good pictures there should be one focal point (in this case the face), and everything else draws your eyes to it. In this case we have the face competing with the shirt. The shirt might look great on her in real life, but in this setting and lighting, it's too powerful.
    Thanks Cymp! I think you are right on also.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• cshort83cshort83 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I love the makeup. The naturalness gives her a nice glow.
    Thank you!!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    The lipstick color is fantastic, but I would like to see a little more mascara, but not much more.

The tone of the blue is a bit strong; if it were softer, somehow, it would better serve her lovely face.

Such an open, happy face. A pleasure to look at.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I like it aside from the background that doesn't suit her clothes and expression. She looks like someone I'd want to be friends with, if that makes sense.

Her skin looks really good, and I like that lip color.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Good comments, guys!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Curl Connoisseur
    somehow I find the shirt color rather jarring. To me it overpowers her own coloring which is warmer and softer. Maybe a different shade and tone of blue? The bright blue just seems off.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file