Washing too often?

LunarLunar Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi, everyone-

I recently had a haircut and am trying to grow my hair back out. I've had some serious problems the past few months with my scalp being flaky and itchy--I end up with scabs. I've only been washing my hair once a week for several years, but I've considered the fact that I may need to start washing it every 2-3 days. Is this going to be terrible for my hair, and will it stunt it's growth? I don't want to damage or dry out my hair, but I use a lot of product and I'm afraid the buildup is too much if I wait a week to wash. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Lunar wrote: »
    Hi, everyone-

I recently had a haircut and am trying to grow my hair back out. I've had some serious problems the past few months with my scalp being flaky and itchy--I end up with scabs. I've only been washing my hair once a week for several years, but I've considered the fact that I may need to start washing it every 2-3 days. Is this going to be terrible for my hair, and will it stunt it's growth? I don't want to damage or dry out my hair, but I use a lot of product and I'm afraid the buildup is too much if I wait a week to wash. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert by any means but I'm almost positive that the amount of days you wash your hair will not affect hair growth. You may have success with rosemary oil...I was having pretty bad flakes and itchiness and I just started using this oil last week and I've already noticed a giant difference. Good luck!!!!!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • DaiseeDayDaiseeDay Posts: 94Registered Users
    It won't stint your growth, I don't think anything can do that. You just need to be concerned with retaining length. As long as your hair doesn't start to feel dry you should be fine. Everyone's hair is different so you may need to wash more often.
    ~ Dense, fine, low porosity ~
  • elenaaelenaa Posts: 190Registered Users
    if your worried about washing it too much.. you could also try tea tree oil and massage it on your scalp.. i do it when my scalp gets itchy so it can last a week without washing cause i know i cant last a week without getting buildup

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file