Contemplating going No-Poo

Hi!
I've come across this website a few times whilst hunting for different hair products to try but I've only just thought to join!
I've just been looking into the CurlyGirl/ No-Poo techniques and some of the before and after photos make a very compelling case...

I was hoping for a little bit of advice if anyone was willing to help out.
At the moment my hair looks like this:
xgekxj.png
(please be kind and ignore my rather silly face)

and I'm using herbal essences colour shampoo, curly conditioner and boot's own curly mousse and letting it air dry.
it generally looks nice for the first day or so then turns into an utter shambles of frizz.

so, I'm a little tempted to try this out. however, I dye my hair... would this counteract the good that the conditioner washing etc does?

also, does anyone have any suggestions for products I can buy in England if I were to go for it?

thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help. :love10:
Hair Type: 2c / 3a, course, dense, medium porosity
:elephant:
Co-Wash- TreSemme Naturals Moisture
Deep Condition- homemade natural recipes (not settled on one yet)
Clarify/Cleanse- bicarb and water wash, vinegar rinse
Style- TreSemme Naturals Moisture + Boots Curl Creme

Comments

• proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Registered Users Posts: 478
    ;-) Hi assberry, from a fellow UK curly.

First of all, your curls look absolutely beautiful in your picture. Regarding products, when I first started out doing the CG method, I used Aussie Moist shampoo to clarify and get rid of any 'cones etc. in my hair. You can buy this in trial sized bottles from Boots (it smells gorgeous, like bubblegum.) A popular co-wash with a lot of UK curlies is the Tresemme Naturals condish. My personal favourite is Garnier Fructis Repair and Shine as this is a good all-rounder (it's just the right consistency for co-washing, rinsing out and leaving in). I tend not to use mousse as I find this too drying on my hair. My gel of choice is Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly (also available in Boots in trial sizes.) It gives good hold without feeling sticky and you can easily scrunch out the crunch once your hair is dry.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes.:)
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I can't really give any product suggestions since I don't live in the UK, but I wanted to tell you that your hair is gorgeous!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    :) Just to add, another product, although it does seem to have a love/hate reputation is the Boots Pink Curl Creme. It's really cheap (one pound something) and you get quite a big tub. I've tried it, but didn't really get on with it as, like with mousse, I found it too drying on my curls, but for the price, it might be worth trying. (At least you haven't spent a fortune even if you don't like it.):)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • Sweet_CurlsSweet_Curls Registered Users Posts: 16
    I absolutely love my results from using the curly girl method. My curls have never looked so good.
    Natural since Dec. 2004:toothy8:

Check me out at:
    www.curllove.blogspot.com :love5:
  • assberryassberry Registered Users Posts: 9
    thanks for the advice proudcurlygirly!
    I'll have a look at those on the boots website and have a go starting on pay day!

I remember using the boots cream stuff when I was younger but don't remember the effects so I'll give that ago since I swear by the curl mousse at the moment.
  • KinkyKhamiKinkyKhami Registered Users Posts: 62
    ;-) Hi assberry, from a fellow UK curly.

First of all, your curls look absolutely beautiful in your picture. Regarding products, when I first started out doing the CG method, I used Aussie Moist shampoo to clarify and get rid of any 'cones etc. in my hair. You can buy this in trial sized bottles from Boots (it smells gorgeous, like bubblegum.) A popular co-wash with a lot of UK curlies is the Tresemme Naturals condish. My personal favourite is Garnier Fructis Repair and Shine as this is a good all-rounder (it's just the right consistency for co-washing, rinsing out and leaving in). I tend not to use mousse as I find this too drying on my hair. My gel of choice is Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly (also available in Boots in trial sizes.) It gives good hold without feeling sticky and you can easily scrunch out the crunch once your hair is dry.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes.:)

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using CurlTalk App
  • BlondeByDesireBlondeByDesire Registered Users Posts: 40
    I love the CG method, so simple, easy, and only a couple products.

I got my Deva Cut on Saturday.

deva2.jpg

event.png

• redmumredmum Registered Users Posts: 125
    Hi,
    The britishcurlies website is maybe worth a look. It has a forum and an online shop
    redmum wrote: »
    Hi,
    The britishcurlies website is maybe worth a look. It has a forum and an online shop

:thumright: +1 for checking out British Curlies. They're very informative when it comes to product recommendations in the UK.:icon_smile:
    CG since Feb 2011
  • tots5678tots5678 Registered Users Posts: 472
    @BlondeByDesire

Cute hair!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    @Sweet_curls

Pretty curls! How long have you been using the CG method?

Hi again!!
    I bought sample bottles of the products proudcurlygirly suggested. (aussie moist for the last shampoo, tresemme naturals and the UG flirty curls gel)... I ran out of my regular conditioner during my last shower and decided to give them a go this morning!
    my hair looks pretty good today, and it feels a hell of a lot healthier already...

11gsmm1.jpg
    see!?
    (ignore my spotty chin please :))

when it comes to washing with the conditioner, will it get the conditioner I left in last time and the gel out fully? or would you guys recommend washing with the aussie moist sometimes? if so... how often would you suggest?

I'm really excited to see how my hair turns out though!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Pretty curls, assberry. :)

Generally, yes, cowashing will adequately clean your hair as long as you don't use products containing non-water soluble silicones. You may need something stronger if you use heavier pomades or products with waxes or heavy oils. Some people find that those can build up on their hair.

Some finer haired or wavy haired people find that they need an occasional low poo (sulfate free) because straight cowashing weighs their hair down. Some fine or wavy haired people also prefer cleansing conditioners over regular conditioners for cowashing, again because cowashing with a regular conditioner weighs their hair down. Cleansing conditioners are sulfate free and moisturizing like regular conditioners, but they have added cleansing agents (like cocamidopropyl betaine) for extra cleaning power.

Other people like an occasional sulfate shampoo just to clarify or as a "reset button". Still others like to use an occasional baking soda cowash /ACV rinse to clarify. In the end it depends on your hair and what it likes.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low /medium porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure
    CO: As I Am
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
    from what I can see on the ingredients there's no silicones in the conditioner or the gel I've picked up so hopefully it'll be ok! :D

would you mind suggesting a cleansing conditioner? I've not come across them before.

thanks for the advice though! :D
    I don't personally use a cleansing conditioner, so I can't recommend one from personal experience. I've heard good things about Curl Junkie Daily Fix and DevaCurl's NoPoo. Wen makes a few too. I know there are others, but they aren't springing to mind right now. If you want drugstore, there was a recent thread about L'oreal's Evercreme Cleansing conditioner. Maybe someone else can chime in with some more suggestions.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
    :love10: Gorgeous curls Assberry, you can really see the difference already!
    CG since Feb 2011
    Pretty curls!

I don't seem to get second day hair... it's uber frizzy :(
    looks beautiful the first day after washing then I go to sleep and it's fuzzcentral! :banghead:

I don't think I really like the UG gel, I'm going to try the boots curl creme when I can get to the boots up the road (stupid road closures because of horse racing!!!)

any suggestions? some form of spritzy goo?
    What are you doing with your hair when you go to sleep, assberry? Some methods people use for 2nd day hair are pineappling, overnight plopping (and an alternate method), sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase, and/or sleeping in a silk or satin bonnet. If you try overnight plopping and sleep on your back, you can tie your plop towel in front instead of in back. Some have good luck going to bed with a damp pineapple. Spritz hair with water or spray product of your choice (Leave in conditioner spray works), scrunch, pineapple. The next morning, take it down, shake it out /rearrange if need be, a little more spritz if needed, and go. If your hair is too short to pineapple, you could also try loose braids, or pigtails (if you're a back sleeper).

My hair's longer than yours, but I pineapple for the night and usually get 2nd day hair I'm not afraid to wear out in public. My hair typically hates 2nd day spritzing. Since it's low porosity, by the time I get enough spritz on for my hair to say "hey, liquid" and grab it, I might as well have jumped in the shower. It's also tended to create more frizz than just leaving it alone. I only wish I could do a 2nd day spritz, scrunch, and go!

As far as 2nd day spritzes /products... Some people really like mousse for getting good 2nd day hair. Some like spritzing with water, then using a small amount of pomade smoothed over /scrunched in to tame some frizz. A small amount of rinse out conditioner can work too. Mix it with a bit of water to thin it out a little, and scrunch in /smooth over frizzy spots. You could also try mixing water and any of the following in a spray bottle: conditioner, gel, aloe vera gel, honey, agave nectar, oils (coconut, jojoba, grapeseed, olive - depending on what your hair likes /tolerates). Or just use your leave in conditioner spray, if you have one. If your curls are looking limp, in addition to frizzy on the 2nd day, try a spray product with protein. Watch for magnesium sulfate in protein sprays. It's a salt that helps enhance curls, but it can be drying.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
  • CurlyRooCurlyRoo Registered Users Posts: 12
    Gorgeous curls! Positively gorgeous!
    I haven't actually changed anything about going to sleep... I feel a little silly now.
    my hair is just long enough to pineapple so I'll give that a shot because I think I fidget too much to make plopping worthwhile.
    I'll dilute some conditioner in a spritz bottle and give that a go too :)

thanks for the tips :D
  • marieantoinettemarieantoinette Registered Users Posts: 131
    You and your hair are so pretty already, I can only imagine how much more amazing it'll get if you go No Poo!
    Hair type 2A, fine texture but very very dense (TONS of hair)!
    Products: Suave Naturals coconut co-wash, L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing rinse-out
    LA Looks Sports Gel (on the hunt for a better gel!)
    oh ok so I just looked up prices of silk pillows... £12 for one???
    I just can't justify that :(
    I will try plopping for now
    I sleep on a regular cotton pillowcase and pineapple my hair. It's not perfect, but I can usually leave my 2nd day hair down, even when I'm out in public. If you happen to have a piece of satin clothing (slip, nightgown /nightshirt), you might try dressing your pillow in that. I'd expect some slippage during the night, depending on how much you move in your sleep. Satin is less breathable than silk, but it's smoother than cotton. It might be a reasonable compromise between cotton and silk.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I don't live in the UK, but your hair is gorgeous. Also, (most likely) you'll really love the no'poo method! if you decide to try, please commmit a few weeks as your hair may go through a transition phase.

I love, love, love that I tried the no 'poo method. Previously, I didn't even know my hair had curls. You'll definitely reach your curl potential on the no 'poo regime.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file