CurlTalk

protein drugstore conditioners

AwesomewavyAwesomewavy Posts: 46Registered Users
I need a good protein conditioner, problem is, im on a drugstore budget. And before you ask, no i do not have a sally's lol, i live in canada. so, any recomendations? :blob7:
2b waves! :love4:
Co-wash:Live clean fresh water condish
Rinse out:GFTN
Leave in:GFTN
Gel: GFPC,FSG
Occasional cleanses:Live clean ACV shampoo

Recently CG dec 23!
Recent length: bra strap
Grow out challenge:waist length :blob3:

Comments

• Nikki3bNikki3b Posts: 327Registered Users
    Tresemme just came out with one. It's called rituals I think. I has a whole lot of protein and smells pretty good. I haven't tried it yet but anything with protein is okay in my book
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    Nikki3b wrote: »
    Tresemme just came out with one. It's called rituals I think. I has a whole lot of protein and smells pretty good. I haven't tried it yet but anything with protein is okay in my book

I've been looking for that but still haven't found it...:(

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Try Nature's Gate conditioners, they go for $7.29 at whole foods
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    If you have access to a Sally's (or will order online), Colorful Neutral Protein Filler is great. Less than $5 for a 4oz bottle, and just a couple drops in your palm with your regular condish is perfect!

The other option is AIgirl's gelatin PT! Easy, cheap, and very effective!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • curlislandcurlisland Posts: 85Registered Users
    I second the Nature's Gate
    [PHP][/PHP]High porosity. 3C.
    Poos: NG Hemp Shampoo.
    Condish: Alba Botanica Gardenia Hydrating Condish. Mill Creek Keratin. Aussie Moist.
    Leave in: Alba Botanica Leave In. Tresemme Naturals. Cantu.
    Seal: Whipped Shea Butter Mix.
    Styling: GF Pure Clean. EcoStyler Protein.
    Hair loves: Finger combing. Protein.
    Hair hates: Plopping.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Braggs all natural soya sauce .. you can get it in the natural food section of almost any grocery store .. even out here in the boondocks of the Martimes ;)

Of course, you'll smell like a stirfry and likely have a herd of cats after you! LOL
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • beeduhbeeduh Posts: 684Registered Users
    Braggs all natural soya sauce .. you can get it in the natural food section of almost any grocery store .. even out here in the boondocks of the Martimes ;)

Of course, you'll smell like a stirfry and likely have a herd of cats after you! LOL

I made my first PT with soy sauce. I added a good bit of sauve naturals mango mandarin conditioner and it gave it a very orangey smell. And my hair did not smell like stirfry :]
    CG as of Feb. 2012
    combination hair.
    2c on top - low elasticity
    3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
    fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
    porosity: normal to high.
    loves protein and moisture.
    BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
    loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    beeduh wrote: »

I made my first PT with soy sauce. I added a good bit of sauve naturals mango mandarin conditioner and it gave it a very orangey smell. And my hair did not smell like stirfry :]

cool .. I've tried several different conditioners but always *seem* to be able to smell stirfry. Psycho-symantic I'm sure. haha
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • pharaohpharaoh Posts: 156Registered Users
    Has anyone decided if the Tressemme Rituals line is CG? I'm not very good at decifering it all. It looks like a great line and I love that it SHOULD be available lots of places? Anyone use any of it?
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    pharaoh wrote: »
    Has anyone decided if the Tressemme Rituals line is CG? I'm not very good at decifering it all. It looks like a great line and I love that it SHOULD be available lots of places? Anyone use any of it?

Unfortunately, it is not CG. Neither is their new split end repair line.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • saitenyosaitenyo Posts: 20Registered Users
    I was looking at the Nature's Gate conditioners the other day and curious to try them, but had no idea which one to pick. Is there a particular one that's better for protein-craving hair? Or fine hair?
    Wavy, fine, thick.

Low Poo: Organix Shea Butter
    Moisturizing Conditioner (only on shampoo days): Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Co-wash: Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume
    Methods: Co-wash daily or every other day. Low-poo and moisturizing condition once every 3-4 days. Comb through once and air-dry.
    saitenyo wrote: »
    I was looking at the Nature's Gate conditioners the other day and curious to try them, but had no idea which one to pick. Is there a particular one that's better for protein-craving hair? Or fine hair?

From what I've seen, all of their conditioners have hydrolyzed soy protein and hydrolyzed vegetable protein, both of which are great for protein-craving hair.

I also had a look at their website and the Awapuhi volumizing condish, the biotin strengthening condish, and the lemongrass and clary sage volumizing condish seem to be best for fine hair

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

• curvesncurlscurvesncurls Posts: 154Registered Users
    I can't speak on all the NG conditioners, but I have the Hemp nourishing for dry hair and there's no protein in that one at all. I don't think the Aloe one does with. But I love the smell of the pomegranate and sunflower conditioner and that does have the soy protein and vegetable protein in it. I guess the best thing to do would be to check the ingredients of the one you like to make sure since they don't all have protein.
    Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
    Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
    Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
    Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
    Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam
    I can't speak on all the NG conditioners, but I have the Hemp nourishing for dry hair and there's no protein in that one at all. I don't think the Aloe one does with. But I love the smell of the pomegranate and sunflower conditioner and that does have the soy protein and vegetable protein in it. I guess the best thing to do would be to check the ingredients of the one you like to make sure since they don't all have protein.

the hemp nourishing does actually have protein

• curvesncurlscurvesncurls Posts: 154Registered Users
    It does!? Yay! Which ingredient is the protein? I have a bottle in my shower right now, but nothing on the label says protein or amino acids. Those are the only two things I know to check for. Here's the ingredient list for the hemp conditioner:

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Pilocarpus Pennatifolius (Jaborandi) Leaf Extract, Ruscus Aculeatus (Butcher's Broom) Root Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Elder Flower Extract), Hypericum Perforatum (St. John's Wort) Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Ethyl Ester, Chrysanthemum Coccineum (Chrysanthemum) Flower Extract, Bertholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance Caramel.

Hopefully someone can clue me in here because my hair LOVES protein and I would love to find something else to look for in my products!!
    Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
    Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
    Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
    Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
    Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam
    It does!? Yay! Which ingredient is the protein? I have a bottle in my shower right now, but nothing on the label says protein or amino acids. Those are the only two things I know to check for. Here's the ingredient list for the hemp conditioner:

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Pilocarpus Pennatifolius (Jaborandi) Leaf Extract, Ruscus Aculeatus (Butcher's Broom) Root Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Elder Flower Extract), Hypericum Perforatum (St. John's Wort) Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Ethyl Ester, Chrysanthemum Coccineum (Chrysanthemum) Flower Extract, Bertholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance Caramel.

Hopefully someone can clue me in here because my hair LOVES protein and I would love to find something else to look for in my products!!

Hmm...I don't see it listed here, but my ng hemp conditioner has hydrolyzed vegetable protein and hydrolyzed soy protein!

• pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users
    I am not sure if Organix coconut milk conditioner is CG but its good on the protein :-)

Sent from my N861 using CurlTalk App
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC, Eco Styler
    Leave-In: KCKT, Garnier WB Coconut & Cocoa Butter LI
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Mill Creek Conditioners! amaze! the keratin conditioner is pretty strong (keratin is the second ingredient), the henna also has keratin in it. They make my hair feel like a pt (a good thing for me), i follow up w a moisturizing leave in and im GOOT!
    Also, walgreens brand ology moisturizing conditioner has a good bit of wheat protein in it & is super rich and creamy. All of them are CG hth
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • LynaeaLynaea Posts: 394Registered Users
    VO5 kiwi (clarifying) and the orange volume condish both have protein and are under $2 a bottle.
    :nemo: 2A / F / MD / LP / ?E / BSL --- CG since Dec. 2012 :nemo:

This is what I'm happiest with right now.
    Co-wash: CJ DailyFix
    Lo-poo: DermOrganic low-poo
    RO: SS Caitlin's co
    Leave-in: SheScentIt Okra Repair condish
    PT: SS Caitlin's + SS PT
    Stylers: Volumax Mega Gel, Max Green Styling Gel, DermOrganics Spray Gel
    Techniques: Plopping & Pixie Diffusing.
    :thumbdown: glycerin, honey, oils & butters :thumright: Protein!
  • morganrcmorganrc Posts: 86Registered Users
    Natures gate biotin

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2B, Coarse, Low-Medium Porosity, Dense.
    -Cowash - Kiss My Face Whenever.
    -Rinse Out/Leave in - Nature's Gate Biotin.
    -No stylers.:thumbright:
  • xfallenwingsxfallenwings Posts: 24Registered Users
    Jas76 wrote: »
    If you have access to a Sally's (or will order online), Colorful Neutral Protein Filler is great. Less than $5 for a 4oz bottle, and just a couple drops in your palm with your regular condish is perfect!

The other option is AIgirl's gelatin PT! Easy, cheap, and very effective!

What are the ingredients? As in, does it contain silicones?

My Guess at my Hair:
    Mix of 2B/2C/3A
    Low Porosity & Medium Density
    Fine/Medium & Above Shoulder Length (growing)

CG since 5/2013

Products I love So Far:
    Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut & Juicy Green Apple (Cleanse)
    V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie (Cleanse)
    DevalCurl One Condition (RO/LI)
    DevalCurl Light Defining Gel
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Kinky Curly Knot Today (LI)
    Coconut Oil (DT)
    Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Shampoo (Clarify)

:hello2:
  • KinkyRNKinkyRN Posts: 250Registered Users
    Try cherry Lola Google it. The dollar tree has a balsam con dish that is great for a quick dose of protein after cowashing when you need it.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using CurlTalk App
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    Thanks for all the suggestions curlies!

Mill Creek Keratin & Biotin, and Nature's Gate Biotin are next on my list!

+1 for Colorful Neutral Protein Filler! You can add to a cheapie condish like Suave Naturals Coconut. The Suave N. Coconut already has amino acids in it, but that may not be enough for those seeking a stronger protein condish... if you add the CN Protein Filler to it that can take care of your needs. :)
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646