CurlTalk

creme stylers?

DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
Give me some recs for some creme stylers - drugstore and non drugstore. I don't think gels are working any longer in this cold dry climate.
Today I'm using some old bumble and bumble creme. It's got the A cone in it.
Darby
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    Thanks. I just did a search and found a ton of older posts on styling cremes. Guess I should have searched first before starting a new one :oops:

Last time I was at Walmart, I looked for out of bed creme by L'Oreal and couldn't find it. I'll look today.

• lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Another vote for Boots, and of course Recoil. I really like the Curl Junkie creams as well, and they're pretty moisturizing. Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Cream was great when I tried it, but then I found out it had dimethicone in it. If that doesn't bother you, I'd definitely go for it.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • curlsofnycurlsofny Posts: 478Registered Users
    I have been finding the L'Oreal Out of Bed in supermarkets more often than drugstores.
    I can't find ingredients for out of bed... Does it have alot of cones that are hard to wash out? Is it good for fine, thin, easily weighted down hair?
    I tried re-coil and didn't like it. Boots - too hard to get a hold of. And I tried all the frutis line and it all still sits in my closet. Made my hair look greasy. Even the condish and leave in.

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Where can I find [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink]? I'm going to hit Ulta soon with a coupon, and I'd love if they carry it!!

Or any other suggestions as to creams I can get at Ulta?
  • curlsofnycurlsofny Posts: 478Registered Users
    Darby wrote:
    I can't find ingredients for out of bed... Does it have alot of cones that are hard to wash out? Is it good for fine, thin, easily weighted down hair?
    I tried re-coil and didn't like it. Boots - too hard to get a hold of. And I tried all the frutis line and it all still sits in my closet. Made my hair look greasy. Even the condish and leave in.

I do not have the bottle anymore, but it had a dimethicone copoloyl (sp), which is water soluble - and from what I remember, it was lower on the list. It's CG friendly. I know many people on here said it helps add volume & did not weight hair down. It definitely did not weigh my hair down, but I have a lot of hair. HTH.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Where can I find [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink]? I'm going to hit Ulta soon with a coupon, and I'd love if they carry it!!

Or any other suggestions as to creams I can get at Ulta?

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] can be bought at CurlMart or at a salon that sells AG products. There is a slaon finder option on AG's website.

I can't be of help with Ulta though since I haven't tried any creams from there.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    There is another cream that I am racking my brain trying to think of its name, but it comes in a pump bottle similiar to the large Recoil container. Something tells me it starts with the letter 'b'. :? Anyway, I didn't care for it at all, but some curlies quite like it. I think you can find it at some salon brand stores. Hopefully another curly will think of its name.
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
    Darby,

I just tried Ion Curl Creme from Sally's and really liked it. It has dimethicone with Peg-8 in front of it, so it is water soluble. It's five dollars a tube. The kind in the tube is for fine hair (mine) and it comes in a tub for coarser hair.

I can't use the garnier products either-they make my hair look greasy, and my hair never looks greasy.

Sherry
    ISO Bouncy creme, that's the name of it.
    sherry7899 wrote:
    Darby,

I just tried Ion Curl Creme from Sally's and really liked it. It has dimethicone with Peg-8 in front of it, so it is water soluble. It's five dollars a tube. The kind in the tube is for fine hair (mine) and it comes in a tub for coarser hair.

I can't use the garnier products either-they make my hair look greasy, and my hair never looks greasy.

Sherry

I might have to stop by Sally's and try some since it's cheap! I just think no gel is going to work right now. I think my hair likes gels only in the summer.

Oh yes, I've heard of ISO bouncy cream. Just never tried it.

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Am I a big dork for being scared to try something with a -cone in it. Is it really water soluble?

Sherry - what do you do to cleanse your hair? I never use No Poo, I just co-wash, would this still remove it???
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users
    I like Boots (pink or white), [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and Curl Junkie CoffeeCoco. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink] works great for me now that my hair is back to waist length. It was too producty with longer hair. I also like the vanilla smell best when I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Oyin Whipped Pudding[/buylink] on my skin. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Whipped Pudding[/buylink] smells like chocolate. Yummy.

Liked the KMS cream (whatever it was called) but couldn't stand the smell. I may have had an "off" tube. I'm not sure. I didn't repurchase.

Don't remember if I liked ISO Bouncy Creme. The sickly sweet floral scent was too much for me.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 312Registered Users
    I haven't actually tried these, but I've seen that they have both been mentioned favorably-Rusk Being Gutsy and Sebastian Potion 9. They are both sold at Ulta.
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Summer Routine
    Co-wash: TJ's TTT condish
    Low-Po: SheaMoisture marine complex
    Condish: SheaMoisture marine complex
    LI: Giovanni Direct
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Curls Gel-Les'C & Biotera gel, BWC spray gel as finisher
    Refresh w/: LUSH R&B
    DT: Shea Moisture Superfruit 10-in-1 masque, Giovanni Nutrafix reconstuctor, jojoba & argan oils

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Forange32" class="Popup
    pw=ringlet
  • joeyEmmajoeyEmma Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think its really amusing that I have had to spend all my time trudging through American websites to find a curl product thats been under my nose for years. I got my first tub of Boots Curl Creme (pink) yesterday for £1.29 and have used it for the first time today. My hair is still very wet, so I'm not sure how it works on me yet.

I think its one of those dirt cheap products that I've looked at and just written off as being cheap and nasty before even trying it.
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
    DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
    Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
    Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
    Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
    Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
    I've used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink], or co-washed with Suave Aloe. It seems to get the d cone out. The D cone has PEG-8 in front of it, so it is water soluble.

HTH-
    Sherry
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I have some iso bouncy, I like it personally. I didn't hear much about it so I wasn't sure it was all that good but it's nice I think, at least in my hair it is :D
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I was going to recommend Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Creme (Cream?), but see you tried it & it doesn't work for you/you don't like it.

Have you tried Rusk Being Gutsy? I have a tube, but haven't used it yet. I can barely get anything spread through my hair with one hand (the other's in a cast with two partial fingers & the thumb poking out :roll: ).

I too noticed my regular gel (Fx Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel) hasn't been working well this winter. Although many days have been below freezing & I wouldn't want to be out in that stuff either :lol: ! I can't remember what it did last winter. :? It works (worked) great spring through fall & it better darn well do the same after the thaw!

ETA: Have you tried Sebastian Potion 9? It's kind of like a gel & kind of like a cream or leave-in conditioner all rolled into one. It works great on my hair in this horrid climate.
  • joeyEmmajoeyEmma Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Novice
    SuZen wrote:

Ok so my hair is dry and I really like it. Its the best curl formation I've ever had and its just such a super cheap bargain!
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
    DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
    Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
    Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
    Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
    Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing
    I was going to recommend Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Creme (Cream?), but see you tried it & it doesn't work for you/you don't like it.

Have you tried Rusk Being Gutsy? I have a tube, but haven't used it yet. I can barely get anything spread through my hair with one hand (the other's in a cast with two partial fingers & the thumb poking out :roll: ).

I too noticed my regular gel (Fx Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel) hasn't been working well this winter. Although many days have been below freezing & I wouldn't want to be out in that stuff either :lol: ! I can't remember what it did last winter. :? It works (worked) great spring through fall & it better darn well do the same after the thaw!

ETA: Have you tried Sebastian Potion 9? It's kind of like a gel & kind of like a cream or leave-in conditioner all rolled into one. It works great on my hair in this horrid climate.

I haven't tried the rusk being gutsy yet. Does it have cones or wheat protein? Where do you get it at?
    I haven't tried Sebastian either. I think that one may be too moisturizing tho. IF it's anything similar to a leave in.
    For the past two days I've used bumble and bumble styling cream (that I've had in my closet for a long time). As long as I don't put it in really wet hair, I think it's ok. It looks a little stringy today tho. My hair needs a trim pretty bad and Ann Marie can't get me in til Feb. 7th :(
    I like how she cuts it (Devachan style) but I also like having ALL my ends trimmed up. Cutting the curls to shape doesn't get all the ends and my hair doesn't feel as full. So, I don't know. I'm going to have to discuss this with her when I go in.

joeyEmma wrote:
    SuZen wrote:

Ok so my hair is dry and I really like it. Its the best curl formation I've ever had and its just such a super cheap bargain!

It's a very good product for someone with dry hair, because it's very moisturizing.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Rusk being Gutsy
    INGREDIENTS

Water (Aqua), PVP/VA copolymer,glycerin,cetyl alcohol,stearalkonium chloride.
    Peg-12 distearate, stearate,dimethiconecopolyol,hydrolyzed wheat protein,panthenol,hydrolyzed rice protein,panthenylhydroxypropylsteardimoniumchloride,peg-100 stearate,cetrimoniumbromide,dicetyldimoiumchloride,cetrimoniumchloride,arctiumlapparoot extract,hederahelix (ivy)extract,trigonellafoenum-graecumseed extract, fragrance (parfum),tetrasodium edta,propylene glycol,dmdmhydrantoin,methylparaben,propylparaben

Lovely stuff, you only need a little. This is great during dry times to get the curl back. It's supposed to be for volume too but the only way I could tell it gave me any volume was it helped my curls which in turn gives me volume. I like the musky smell too.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
    I'm sure it's fine as an ingredient, but it's ones like 'panthenylhydroxypropylsteardimoniumchloride' that make kind of go :shock:.
    Darby wrote:
    I haven't tried the rusk being gutsy yet. Does it have cones or wheat protein? Where do you get it at? medusahair posted the ingredients. I got mine at Trade Secret, not Beauty Express.
    I haven't tried Sebastian either. I think that one may be too moisturizing tho. IF it's anything similar to a leave in.
    For the past two days I've used bumble and bumble styling cream (that I've had in my closet for a long time). As long as I don't put it in really wet hair, I think it's ok. It looks a little stringy today tho. My hair needs a trim pretty bad and Ann Marie can't get me in til Feb. 7th :( I'd better make an appointment soon then, though I'd need hubby to drive me there.
    I like how she cuts it (Devachan style) but I also like having ALL my ends trimmed up. Cutting the curls to shape doesn't get all the ends and my hair doesn't feel as full. So, I don't know. I'm going to have to discuss this with her when I go in.
    Ulta also carries Rusk Being Gutsy.
    SuZen wrote:

She'd have to order it on-line b/c there's no Ulta in Utah. :(
    SuZen wrote:

Bummer. :cry:
    SuZen wrote:
    SuZen wrote:

Bummer. :cry:

Yeah, tell me about it! I'd be shopping there all the time, & getting into trouble!