Curly Teens Prom Thread!!

RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey, high school curlies! My senior prom is just two months away, so I thought I'd start this thread so we could talk about all things prom: dresses, shoes, dates, hair, etc!

When is your prom? Have you picked out your dress yet?
21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!

Comments

• KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    :( I don't have prom. Home schooled. lol
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :( I don't have prom. Home schooled. lol

:( sad! Have you ever thought about planning a 'home school prom'?

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

• KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I know! Umm, no. I mean if we were involved with a home school group or something I might be able to do that. But we aren't. So I don't see how it would work out.
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
    Bummer!

• AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    I hope this thread is popular and people post pics! I looooooove prom dresses and photos. I'm constantly thinking of excuses I can use to wear mine just one more time. Sigh.
    AmberBrown wrote: »
    I hope this thread is popular and people post pics! I looooooove prom dresses and photos. I'm constantly thinking of excuses I can use to wear mine just one more time. Sigh.

Haha, I also get super excited over looking at prom pics! Is anyone planning on wearing a short dress? Or a gown?

• SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    For my Sr. prom I went to a hairdresser and told them during the consultation that I wanted to work with my natural curl. Well, I had a different stylist than who I consulted with, and she proceeded to comb out my curls (!!!) so I had to let her curl them with an iron and it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Word of warning, be firm! I should've told her to stop combing my hair but I was too shy. I'd love to hear that some of you girls worked with your natural curly patterns!
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • sophiehesssophiehess Posts: 9Registered Users
    I had my junior prom last year and it was so fun! I had this great updo that had all these curls pinned to the back of my head, but unfortunately I didn't get any good pictures of it. Here's my date, our friends, and me all dolled up though!
    227858_10150199363378961_615728960_7014737_2615924_n.jpg
  • britney.britney. Posts: 292Registered Users
    I think my school's prom is in April.. But I can't even go to it since I got suspended lol. But I'm going to go to a different school's prom since I have friends at other schools, and I think all of the other proms are around the same time. I haven't picked out my dress or anything yet and I have no idea how I'm gonna wear my hair and stuff.
    2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
    Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
    Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
    Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

britney. wrote: »
    I think my school's prom is in April.. But I can't even go to it since I got suspended lol. But I'm going to go to a different school's prom since I have friends at other schools, and I think all of the other proms are around the same time. I haven't picked out my dress or anything yet and I have no idea how I'm gonna wear my hair and stuff.

Oh no! At least you'll get to go anyways :)

• kurlykyleekurlykylee Posts: 101Registered Users
    This will be my senior prom, and I am debating on the dress still. I have one that my friend's mom made for her (she's graduated and we go to diff high schools anyway) so I'm posting a pic to see what you girls think of it! Thanks for this thread it is a great idea! Im excited!4ba9ba13-dccb-e8b9.jpg4ba9ba13-dcf2-804d.jpg4ba9ba13-dd07-e822.jpg4ba9ba13-dd1f-8464.jpg
    kurlykylee wrote: »
    This will be my senior prom, and I am debating on the dress still. I have one that my friend's mom made for her (she's graduated and we go to diff high schools anyway) so I'm posting a pic to see what you girls think of it! Thanks for this thread it is a great idea! Im excited!4ba9ba13-dccb-e8b9.jpg4ba9ba13-dcf2-804d.jpg4ba9ba13-dd07-e822.jpg4ba9ba13-dd1f-8464.jpg

Your friend's mom made that?? That's seriously amazing! Is it two parts?

Omg I love that, the skirt is beautiful. What else were you considering?

Yeah! She is an amazing seamstress!! The skirt is my favorite part :) yeah, it's two separate parts. This one I would also borrow from my other friend, but I don't like it as much because I'm not a super princessy type person. I wore a princess dress last year, I'll include a couple pics of that as well4ba9ba13-04c2-ee0d.jpg4ba9ba13-04ec-35dd.jpg4ba9ba13-04f9-be66.jpg4ba9ba13-050c-554c.jpg
    You looked beautiful! But I would agree...the first dress you posted looks a lot more unique and fashion forward. Let us know what you decide on!

Thanks :) Yeah I agree with the unique and fashion forward! I have been obsessed with being different this past year. Especially since going natural! Idk if it's just that I'm finally finding that different/confidence is attractive, or I'm just going through a stage! Did you go to prom last year?? Have you found any possible dresses yet?? Hairstyles?? :)
    Hey that's awesome! I'm definitely way more confident since i stopped straightening my hair every week. Plus, I've noticed that it's inspired a lot more people flaunt their natural hair as well!

Yup, I went to prom last year as a junior! I spent waaaay too much money on my dress, so I've decided to rent my dress from Rent the Runway this year!

I think I'll end up straightening my hair for prom this year. Now that my natural hair is healthy, I can take full advantage of the versatility that my hair has to offer! Plus, I wear my hair on twists, braids or twist outs all the time, so I think it'd be fun to try a new look :)

What about you? Have you thought about any hairstyles yet??

• EmJaneEmJane Posts: 1Registered Users
    Yeah, I was also worried about the price of a dress, but I ended up finding a really cute vintage dress online that was very reasonable.

My friend wants me to go with her to get our hair professionally done at a salon. That sounds fun, but I'm not sure whether I want my hair to be natural on the night, and if I do, it'll be difficult to keep the stylist from using heat styling tools. I just started using the CG method, so I might wait and see if I'm liking my natural curls closer to the date.
  • Joce12Joce12 Posts: 35Registered Users
    I would definitely go with the first dress Kylee. :D

As far as dresses go, I'm going to be wearing a short one its black and off white and all lace. I'm going for a kind of vintage inspired look. I'm going to see if I can find some black and white oxford heels, some black, lace, fingerless gloves and little black, lace umbrella(small enough that it won't be a huge bother to carry around), and will probably wear a mini hat with a little net to go over half my face or a couple lace flowers. I'll see if I can get a pic of the dress up soon. :)

As for my hair we have a band contest(may or may not be competitive I don't remember) that day, so probably won't have a lot of time to do my hair(I'm not letting a stylist do it, I never like how it turns out..). Really crappy choice for the date, on the prom committees part. XP I'll probably put my hair in some spiral rollers the night before, that are about the same size as my natural curls, and wear it down with straightened bangs. I might pin up some of the hair, but I probably won't know until that morning what I'm going to do. XD

By the way this is my junior prom, and I can't wait to see more pictures. :)
    EmJane wrote: »
    Yeah, I was also worried about the price of a dress, but I ended up finding a really cute vintage dress online that was very reasonable.

My friend wants me to go with her to get our hair professionally done at a salon. That sounds fun, but I'm not sure whether I want my hair to be natural on the night, and if I do, it'll be difficult to keep the stylist from using heat styling tools. I just started using the CG method, so I might wait and see if I'm liking my natural curls closer to the date.

Check and see if there are any hair salons nearby that specialize in curly hair...that way you can be sure that they'll be extra careful!

Joce12 wrote: »
    I would definitely go with the first dress Kylee. :D

As far as dresses go, I'm going to be wearing a short one its black and off white and all lace. I'm going for a kind of vintage inspired look...I'll see if I can get a pic of the dress up soon. :)

As for my hair we have a band contest(may or may not be competitive I don't remember) that day, so probably won't have a lot of time to do my hair(I'm not letting a stylist do it, I never like how it turns out..)...I'll probably put my hair in some spiral rollers the night before, that are about the same size as my natural curls, and wear it down with straightened bangs. I might pin up some of the hair, but I probably won't know until that morning what I'm going to do. XD

By the way this is my junior prom, and I can't wait to see more pictures. :)

Love the vintage-theme! And, yes, post pics!

I also haven't learned to trust a stylist with my hair, again. And I don't feel the need to go around town looking for one, and then having to make an appointment for prom. Something just *always* goes wrong, lol! So I'll end up doing my hair myself as well! 😊

• Curlychika916Curlychika916 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Yay!! I just got my dress yesterday so I'm glad there is a thread for prom.
    Yay!! I just got my dress yesterday so I'm glad there is a thread for prom.

Ooh, yay! Post a pic!! (if you want 😊)

• Joce12Joce12 Posts: 35Registered Users
    Amazon.com: Strapless Bustier Contrast Lace and Crinoline Ruffle Prom Mini Dress Junior Plus Size: Clothing Haven't quite figured out posting pictures yet, but the one I'm getting is black and taupe. :D I haven't ordered it yet, my mom's taking me shopping to look around and see if there's anything else I might like.
    I also haven't learned to trust a stylist with my hair, again. And I don't feel the need to go around town looking for one, and then having to make an appointment for prom. Something just *always* goes wrong, lol! So I'll end up doing my hair myself as well! &#55357;&#56842;

What do you plan on doing with your hair? I'd love to see what other girls are doing hairstyle wise. :D
    What do you plan on doing with your hair? I'd love to see what other girls are doing hairstyle wise. :D

My mom and I are going "back-up prom dress" shopping, too lol.

I was thinking about straightening it! Come prom it will be about 10 months since the last time I had it straightened. I just ordered a new flat iron and blow dryer, so I'll test them both out over spring break :)

I was thinking something smooth and sleek with a bit of body, or soft, loose curls:
    http://www.topnews.in/files/images/Jada-Pinkett-Smith16.jpg
    OR
    http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jada-pinkett-feat.jpg

RiMiDa wrote: »
    Hey that's awesome! I'm definitely way more confident since i stopped straightening my hair every week. Plus, I've noticed that it's inspired a lot more people flaunt their natural hair as well!

Yup, I went to prom last year as a junior! I spent waaaay too much money on my dress, so I've decided to rent my dress from Rent the Runway this year!

I think I'll end up straightening my hair for prom this year. Now that my natural hair is healthy, I can take full advantage of the versatility that my hair has to offer! Plus, I wear my hair on twists, braids or twist outs all the time, so I think it'd be fun to try a new look :)

What about you? Have you thought about any hairstyles yet??

My mom and I are going "back-up prom dress" shopping, too lol.

I was thinking about straightening it! Come prom it will be about 10 months since the last time I had it straightened. I just ordered a new flat iron and blow dryer, so I'll test them both out over spring break :)

I was thinking something smooth and sleek with a bit of body, or soft, loose curls:
    http://www.topnews.in/files/images/Jada-Pinkett-Smith16.jpg
    OR
    http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jada-pinkett-feat.jpg

Rent the Runway has some gorgeous dresses! Post pics when you find one you like! I think straightening your hair would look awesome! How long is your hair? I have some clip in extensions that I occasionally use to get more body in an updo or length if I'm going somewhere new. I think I'm going to use them for prom this year and I'm going to do a very loose, soft curl look, with a half updo. But idk yet. For the makeup, I am also doing vintage, but with a twist. I have an olive complexion so I can't really do the white, translucent skin look. And I am going to add in some dark black and gold eye shadow. sort of like this, but with more black. :)
    kurlykylee wrote: »
    Rent the Runway has some gorgeous dresses! Post pics when you find one you like! I think straightening your hair would look awesome! How long is your hair? I have some clip in extensions that I occasionally use to get more body in an updo or length if I'm going somewhere new. I think I'm going to use them for prom this year and I'm going to do a very loose, soft curl look, with a half updo. But idk yet. For the makeup, I am also doing vintage, but with a twist. I have an olive complexion so I can't really do the white, translucent skin look. And I am going to add in some dark black and gold eye shadow. sort of like this, but with more black. :)

Here are the dresses that I rented (you can rent two dresses for the price of one + $25!):
    [url]http://www.renttherunway.com/shop/designers/hervéléger_dresses/tangerinemargaritadress[/url]
    [url]http://www.renttherunway.com/shop/designers/hervéléger_dresses/ashleybandagedress[/url]

My hair is APL when stretched...I'm trying out my new flat iron and blow dryer on Monday!

Your hair idea sounds great! A half updo would be gorgeous :)

Last year my makeup was sort of like the photo you posted, I just didn't have any liner on my bottom lashline. But I think the black and gold idea would be gorgeous, kind of a smokey eye, right?

I never wear makeup, so I'm going to keep it super minimal: black mascara, nude lid, flicked liner and a shimmery lip. I just need to find a good concealer...:/

What are you guys planning on wearing over your prom dresses to dinner?

Last year, I wore this dress:
    42576b68-bd92-53c7.jpg

so I just wore a cute drapey cardigan. But this year, my dress is more structured. I was thinking a peplum blazer, since I have wide shoulders and regular blazers just emphasize them.

What are you going to wear?

What are you guys planning on wearing over your prom dresses to dinner?

Last year, I wore this dress:
    42576b68-bd92-53c7.jpg

so I just wore a cute drapey cardigan. But this year, my dress (will I will post in a little while!) is more structured. I was thinking a peplum blazer, since I have wide shoulders and regular blazers just emphasize them.

What are you going to wear?

LOVE that dress! And with your current dress choices I think a peplum blazer would look amazing! Or even a nice jean jacket or something :) Depends on how casual you want to be.
    I've decided to go with a peplum blazer...but it's been impossible to find one! :(

I've decided to go with a peplum blazer...but it's been impossible to find one! :(

Try ebay maybe?? Sometimes it's harder to find things on there than just doing a search on google though haha. maybe you could borrow one, or find someone who can make one for you :)

BTW, voting ends in a couple of hours and I am sooo close! Please vote girls! Thanks :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file