ATTENTION!!! The Official Type 4 "What's My Hair Type?" Thread!

Comments

• KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    calicourt wrote: »
    OK I have been natural for almost a year and still do not know my hair type. So hope everyone can put it to rest. I think im a mixture of 3c, 4a 4b etc lol
    These pics are all wash n go.

4a with some 3c.
  • rachrn83rachrn83 Posts: 19Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hello all! I'm trying to figure out/confirm what my hair type is. It's still pretty short (between 6 and 61/2 in in Feb 012) but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look forward to and what products could work when I do begin to wear my hair out. As of now I wearing a full sew in and have been since the 2nd week of February. Here are some picture of my hair 100% dry. It was washed and conditioned after removing my last sew in. I did use either Kinky Curly leave in cond or Mixed Chicks leave in cond (I can't remember which one), but no other curl defining or styling product was used, I wanted to capture my hair in it most natural state. I can tell you when water saturates my hair it curls up just like in these pictures, the only thing the leave in conditions did was help control frizz, which my hair became more prone to the more I touched my curls. I can also tell you my side edges (near my ears and temples) are probably in the 4 category, they have a less defined curl pattern. All of my hair has a soft cottony feel, those edges are slightly more cottony/soft than the rest of my hair.

Thanks for the help in advance!

(Font)
    IMG_0609-2_zpsdc5054ad.jpg

Side view (edges)
    IMG_0611-2_zps4bdfe6cf.jpg

(Front, close up)
    IMG_0607-2_zps277fe6da.jpg

IMG_0602-2_zps86a9faf2.jpg

(Top, close up)
    IMG_0616-2_zps32075161.jpg

IMG_0617-2_zps254b911c.jpg
    Last Relaxer: April 24, 2012
    Big Chop: October 5, 2012
    3C/4A - Low Porosity, High Density, Medium Hair Width, Cottony
  • verlisverlis Posts: 16Registered Users
    I want to find out my texture too. Everytime I look at it I think its something else. So I got over my camera phobia long enough to ask. It shrinks a lot when I pull it its a little past shoulder length. In the pictures my hair is dry after a wash and go.
    verlis wrote: »
    I want to find out my texture too. Everytime I look at it I think its something else. So I got over my camera phobia long enough to ask. It shrinks a lot when I pull it its a little past shoulder length. In the pictures my hair is dry after a wash and go.

Looks like you're 4a/3c?
    This is when it is wet can anyone help me determine my hair type?
    IMG_0299.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0287.jpg

Id say 3a/3b/3c
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    verlis wrote: »

4a/3c like moi. :)

Actually my hair is so crazy, I just say I'm a 4J. As in my hair is uniquely 4Jennifer. :p

Texture and porosity is much more useful in product selection.
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    2vb67w5.jpg

a93e7f244844034.jpg

18261b244844033.jpg
    CurlyMan82 wrote: »
    2vb67w5.jpg

a93e7f244844034.jpg

18261b244844033.jpg

Hmmm, looks like loose curls to me I'd say 3b, maybe with some 2b/c mixed in. For me it'll be a little easier to tell once its a bit longer, once your full curl ringlet is grown out if that makes any sense at all lol. But it's definitely a looser and bigger (circumference wise) curl than 3c and I don't think it's quite as loose or big as 3a

Maybe this will help you and others

CurlPatternTypes_zpsfc13fb35.jpg
  • CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's a pic at 9 months of growth.

8e96f2222852387.jpg

I'm thinking that I'm more in the 3b/3c range as well. In the first group of pics I had posted, in the last two I had used some coconut oil, and combing through it caused them to lay down like that (the last pic in the group). Not sure if that changes anything.
    Hmm. Well first, I really like your hair :D I would guess you might be a 3c/4a or around there - maybe with some 3b sprinkled in. Saying that because I'm about a 3b/3c and you have the kind of great root lift that most 3b and 3b/c folks can only dream about achieving (root lift seems more characteristic of 3c/4a and above). 3b and 3b/c tends to droop at the roots so that it falls down more, especially once it's as long as yours in this pic. You can look at my album if you want to see what I'm talking about. Or there are a ton of other pics at this site to peruse.
    Bree, you might want to start your own thread and post your pics there. I'm guessing you'll get more responses that way too.

Also, you might consider creating a few new pics that reveal all of your hair at once (in a well-lit setting). It's easier to get an idea for your overall pattern that way ;)
  • AnnieRoseAnnieRose Posts: 87Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bree, are you transitioning?
    You have to wait til the straight end are cut off to really see what your hair texture is like.
  • Bree_KBree_K Posts: 3Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Bree, you might want to start your own thread and post your pics there. I'm guessing you'll get more responses that way too.

Also, you might consider creating a few new pics that reveal all of your hair at once (in a well-lit setting). It's easier to get an idea for your overall pattern that way ;)

Ok :) no problem
  • NgoNgo Posts: 13Registered Users
    I always thought my hair was mostly 4b with 4a but depending on what I put in my hair it changes slightly. I usually just say I'm in the 4 range but still a little confused.

1y3d.jpg
    This is my hair while shampooing

autw.jpg
    This is after washing shampoo

This is it semi dry
    3u4c.jpg
    "All things good are wild and free"- Thoreau

-Mostly 4b with some 4a, coarse, low porosity, dense
  • Cherokee94Cherokee94 Posts: 3Registered Users
    kind of wondering if I am mostly 4a or 4b. Im really confused
  • g.e.Mg.e.M Posts: 3Registered Users
    Ummm.... Can you help me find my hair type? I only have these pictures of my hair wet right now
    uploadfromtaptalk1374123343010.jpg that's the front....... Well duh you can ny face

Sent from my HTC One using CurlTalk App
    uploadfromtaptalk1374123437135.jpg this is the back, it doesn't look like it but I feels like a much looser curl than the rest of my head.

Ngo wrote: »
    I always thought my hair was mostly 4b with 4a but depending on what I put in my hair it changes slightly. I usually just say I'm in the 4 range but still a little confused.

1y3d.jpg
    This is my hair while shampooing

autw.jpg
    This is after washing shampoo

This is it semi dry
    3u4c.jpg

I'm not exactly sure where in the 4 family your hair resides, but here's my feeling about it :love4: ... I just love your coils!
    Thanks Korkscrew! :-) I figured its really mixed and I am fine with calling it 4 category these days.

g.e.M wrote: »
    Ummm.... Can you help me find my hair type? I only have these pictures of my hair wet right now
    uploadfromtaptalk1374123343010.jpg that's the front....... Well duh you can ny face

I would say 4a

Oh, thanks :D I knew I was somewhere in the 4s

• curlsandkinkscurlsandkinks Posts: 41Registered Users
    nvm, i'll update in a few months
    Ngo wrote: »
    Thanks Korkscrew! :-) I figured its really mixed and I am fine with calling it 4 category these days.

No prob! :occasion5:
    nvm
    Not really sure. Maybe someone else has some idea? Either way, I bet that with a little time and a little growth, you'll have your answer ;)
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Not really sure. Maybe someone else has some idea? Either way, I bet that with a little time and a little growth, you'll have your answer ;)
    o_o girl i have been obsessed with this transition ever sice lol.

the new growth looks 4b and i've been sitting here wondering if the texture will change.

bleh, who knows, lol.
  • CurlieKayKayCurlieKayKay Posts: 14Registered Users
    I'm not sure what my hair type is, but it looks like this throughout my hair except for the back of my hair which is way looser than the rest of my hair.
    Fine Strands, Normal Porosity, Arm Pit Length, I think 3c/4a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file