ATTENTION!!! The Official Type 4 "What's My Hair Type?" Thread!

Comments

• DeelishasDeelishas Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey ladies I'm trying to figure out my hair type. I'm thinking its 4a but not really sure.

4c1e5369-bf53-59bd.jpg

Washed with no products in it

4c1e5369-bf97-2366.jpg

4c1e5369-bfb1-4461.jpg

Wash n go

4c1e5369-c046-7721.jpg
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    Sannei wrote: »
    Hi, I finally decided to post in this thread. I've been natural for awhile, but I damaged my hair with heat and had to start all over. It's been a struggle with the hair in terms of keeping it moisturised. I don't know what my hair type is, or even porosity level. I'm trying to learn all of this to help with keeping my hair more healthy. As I have a huge problem with moisture and frizz (especially at my edges) which has led to breakage and cutting off a lot of my hair again in November, second BC I guess. I'm hoping to get it right this time.

Anyway these are some pics of my hair. I believe it's a 4a with maybe some 3c, but I wanted to make sure. Any pointers on it would be great.

I have some pics:
    san2d.jpg

san7c.jpg

san5b.jpg

san1b-1.jpg

san4b.jpg

As you can see my edge are prone to dryness and being frizzy (also seems to be a totally different type to the rest of the hair). And this makes it grow slower than the rest of my hair.

Looks like 4a to me.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deelishas wrote: »
    Hey ladies I'm trying to figure out my hair type. I'm thinking its 4a but not really sure.

4c1e5369-bf53-59bd.jpg

4c1e5369-bf97-2366.jpg

4c1e5369-bfb1-4461.jpg

Wash n go

4c1e5369-c046-7721.jpg
    idk what type it is, but *drool*
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • CandiiMamiiCandiiMamii Posts: 118Registered Users
    I don't feel like posting pics, I have one to the left but I've never been sure about hair typing... my curls are basically the circumference of a regular pen/pencil, sometimes the thicker kind of pens that have a finger grip :laughing1: but they are... 'elongated'? not coily, loosely curly, like, a stretched phone cord that won't spring back? :confused: I do have a small patch behind each ear that do coil more properly, which I refer to as the danger zones because I can't just run my fingers through them. :disgust:
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    Deelishas- You're looking like a gorgeous 3c. That color is AMAZING!

Candimamii- It would really help if you post pics.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• DeelishasDeelishas Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks so much I appreciate it ;)
  • SanneiSannei Posts: 5Registered Users
    happyface wrote: »
    Sannei wrote: »
    Looks like 4a to me.
    Thank you for the reply.
  • confusedcurls26confusedcurls26 Posts: 81Registered Users
    uploadfromtaptalk1338872043017.jpg

can someone help me with this please ? ive been trying to find out for a while .

uploadfromtaptalk1338872178578.jpg

thanks in advance though ! :)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using CurlTalk App
  • hurtem44hurtem44 Posts: 29Registered Users
  • ravenm721ravenm721 Posts: 80Registered Users
    Can anyone tell me my hairtype? I know it's some type 4, that's for sure. It gets lots of shrinkage. It also only has a visible curl pattern when wet, or if I apply gel to it. In the pic, it is just wet with no product. Thanks a lot.
    event.png
    Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
    •BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
    •Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :glasses1::
    - your hair looks like a 4a. If you go on youtube, look for msvcharles. your hair resembles hers . :)

• ravenm721ravenm721 Posts: 80Registered Users
    ^^ Wow, you're definitely right. It definitely resembles her hair type. Thanks a for referring me to her channel and for giving me an answer about my hair type :).
    event.png
    Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
    •BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
    •Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :glasses1::
    - lol no problem ; can you answer mine ?

• cat22cat22 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Sorry I deleted my post
  • ashleyjashleyj Posts: 30Registered Users
    ravenm721 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me my hairtype? I know it's some type 4, that's for sure. It gets lots of shrinkage. It also only has a visible curl pattern when wet, or if I apply gel to it. In the pic, it is just wet with no product. Thanks a lot.
    i do think that you have type 4 hair also, but im not that sure which subtype it is. your hair just looks dry. try a deep condish and maybe youll start to see a visible curl pattern. although to me, it looks somewhat crimpy so maybe a 4c or b
    hey everyone, ive started using the cg method. its ok so far, but im facing a dilemma....i know that you arent supposed to use a brush, but, my curls arent as defined as they can be when i use the cg method. i used a denman d3 brush to detangle my hair. and define too. i like that when i use the cg method that detangling takes less than 45 mins as opposed to the tightly curly method with the denman. so.... which should i use? please reply
    you can modify both of the methods to suit you ; so it shouldnt be a problem .

• SambokaaSambokaa Posts: 48Registered Users
    What about mine??
    Im still TWA
    thanks confusedcurls26! :D
  • demetrious100demetrious100 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Hi, it would really help me if any of u could tell me what's my hair type.

43a59bd6-e290-5ab5.jpg

43a59bd6-e2be-2e6e.jpg

43a59bd6-e30a-369c.jpg

43a59bd6-e3bc-4260.jpg
    43a59bd6-e4a7-1297.jpg

43a59bd6-e4c2-ed62.jpg

43a59bd6-e4f0-3282.jpg

43a59bd6-e54b-f898.jpg
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^ 3c/4a
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    Thanks I thought so too
  • SambokaaSambokaa Posts: 48Registered Users
    Me too. Whats my type?
    It's hard to tell, but it looks to be 4b

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

• anonymous_114091anonymous_114091 Posts: 126Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deelishas wrote: »

4c1e5369-bf53-59bd.jpg

4c1e5369-bf97-2366.jpg

4c1e5369-bfb1-4461.jpg

Wash n go

4c1e5369-c046-7721.jpg

Looks like a combo type to me. Mostly 3c with a bit of 3b and 4a tossed in.
    *BIG CHOP: September 22, 2012* :afro:
    *Last Relaxer: April 15, 2012* :p

event.png
  • SillyRabbitSillyRabbit Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey guys, I'm confused about my hair type. It's SUUUUper coily and the coils are uniform around most of my head (at my hair's healthiest state), with looser coils in the front of my head. My coils are very tight, and have the circumference of the stick of a candy sucker. If you've ever seen the little springy coil that it inside of a ballpoint click-pen, my strands resemble that! Teeny tiny. The strands themselves are fine, and clump pretty well on their own, but don't look defined (except for the ends) from afar.

Single-strand (w/single-strand knot included :o)
    7639226910_8b989cb5f2_m.jpg

Stretched
    7639226802_e471da2f8b_m.jpg

Separated & defined
    7639230810_0909265c5a_m.jpg

Wash n Go
    7639236180_c617623c07_m.jpg

I have a hard time finding people with hair texture similar to mine, and I get super excited when I do =) so please let me know if you think you're strands are similar to mine!
    Natural 2 years and 4 months.
    :wav:

Hair type: 4a suuper tight coils, fine, dense with thin edges (working on this!), medium-high porosity
    ^^ 4a

• happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    Hey guys, I'm confused about my hair type. It's SUUUUper coily and the coils are uniform around most of my head (at my hair's healthiest state), with looser coils in the front of my head. My coils are very tight, and have the circumference of the stick of a candy sucker. If you've ever seen the little springy coil that it inside of a ballpoint click-pen, my strands resemble that! Teeny tiny. The strands themselves are fine, and clump pretty well on their own, but don't look defined (except for the ends) from afar.

The bolded is a classic definition of 4a.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using CurlTalk App
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file