CurlTalk

ATTENTION!!! The Official Type 4 "What's My Hair Type?" Thread!

SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
Are you curious about your hair type? Are you thinking it may be type 4, then look no further!!!!

Here is a little info about type 4 hair, pulled from the section for type 4 hair on Naturally Curly Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly:
"Facts"

• Type 4 is kinky, or very tightly curled, with a clearly visible curl pattern

• Circumference: Crochet needle or even smaller

• The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile

• Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together

• Type 4 hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it

• Type 4 hair is known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length

• There are two Type 4 subtypes:

•4a: Tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an "S" pattern, much like curly hair. It tends to have more moisture than 4b; has a definite curl pattern

•4a celebrities: Macy Gray, Monique Coleman, Leela James

•4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel

•4b celebrities: Esperanza Spalding, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu
Things to keep in mind are:

There is no one size fits all method to hair care. Knowing hair type very rarely (if ever) gives you any insight into the products and methods you need for your own hair care. It will take much trial and error and patience to figure it out. This is a learning experience! Things will start to make sense in time.

If you have anything to add, feel free to do it here. Also, if you have any questions regarding hair typing then this thread would be the place to post those questions!

Thanks a million!!!

Comments

• LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    THANK YOU!!!!
    citizen_cane.gif
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    Thanks Foxy!
    People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    6f44f4.gif

Thanks Foxy!

And yes, this gif is of my natural mixed-race(Italian, Jewish, Black, Puerto Rican and a little of Japanese), gift from my ancestors, non relaxed/heat damaged/color damaged hair.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    This is great.. now I hope people actually pay attention and not miss it but if they do one of us can post them a link directly to this thread.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    You're welcome ladies.

6f44f4.gif

Thanks Foxy!

And yes, this gif is of my natural mixed-race(Italian, Jewish, Black, Puerto Rican and a little of Japanese), gift from my ancestors, non relaxed/heat damaged/color damaged hair.

You are in time out. Go to the corner.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    Hallelujah

On my EVO. I'm too fancy for proofreading.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    PHEW!
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
    tumblr_low7pmH2A51qmh5ydo5_250.gif
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    We need a holy ghost gif... I shouted Hallelujah when I saw this!!!! :D
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    I love the Lord....He heard my cry, and pitied every groan. Long as I live, and troubles rise, I'll hasten to His throne.

Amen...give thanks!
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Hopefully this will curb the "HALP! what's my hair type" threads. Thanks Foxy!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    LOL there's so much shade in here already, I'd be scared to actually ask my hair type. :evil4:
    People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    LOL there's so much shade in here already, I'd be scared to actually ask my hair type. :evil4:

Not shade, just real talk sigh of relief! Woo Jesus! Lol!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Okay, I have a hair type question. What is the difference between an "S" shaped curl and a "O" shaped curl? For the life of me, I can't get the LOIS system.
    Raizal wrote: »
    Okay, I have a hair type question. What is the difference between an "S" shaped curl and a "O" shaped curl? For the life of me, I can't get the LOIS system.
    one is shaped like an S, and the other looks like an O.

i'm honestly not trying to be snarky here, i just don't know how else to answer this.

i'm honestly not trying to be snarky here, i just don't know how else to answer this.

My issue is more with the "S" type curl. I picture wavy type 2 hair, or a dude with an earring on a texturizer box. I don't get the LOIS system in general.

My issue is more with the "S" type curl. I picture wavy type 2 hair, or a dude with an earring on a texturizer box. I don't get the LOIS system in general.

I have some Ss. Pics of my hair are in this thread.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/139971-aloe-vera-pectin-jelly-recipe-results.html

They are not large at all. Small ones. Still tight.
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users

I have some Ss

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/139971-aloe-vera-pectin-jelly-recipe-results.html

They are not large at all. Small ones. Still tight.

Foxys hair is an S curl. It's really just the shape of an S that can be tightly coiled or looser. O curls have a more defined curl shape and can also be tightly coiled or loose. The O curl is the more traditional looking curl.

HTH
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    Depending on how I style my hair I can have O's or S's

Wet, no manipulation O's, dry styled S's* depending on product and shingled or raked

I just say Type 4 and call it a day.
  • NaturalTeenLifeNaturalTeenLife Posts: 4Registered Users
    is my hair 4a ?
    is my hair 4a ?
    ... we wouldn't be able to tell from those pics...
  • kinkicurlyfynekinkicurlyfyne Posts: 60Registered Users
    is my hair 4a ?
    Post a pic of your whole head. It's really hard to tell with just that piece.
  • AKAdemicAKAdemic Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have a question about that "circumference," because most of the 4a YouTubers appear to consistently have larger curls than that.

4a is so difficult to define, though. It seems to include on the same head 3c and 4b, and can at different times appear to be one or the other. :confused2:

And just look at those examples. I would have classified Esperanza as 4a, Macy as 4b. Who knew?
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    Almost 10 years in the online natural hair community and I still don't know my hair type. LOL I have waves and curls big and small. Kinks, frizz, wire, etc. I claim 4a/3c and call it a day.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • AKAdemicAKAdemic Posts: 5Registered Users
    Almost 10 years in the online natural hair community and I still don't know my hair type. LOL I have waves and curls big and small. Kinks, frizz, wire, etc. I claim 4a/3c and call it a day.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

I would agree with that, just going by the pics.
  • valcavevalcave Posts: 27Registered Users
    I just posted about hair type and wondering if knowing your hair type won't help with choosing products?

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • NoireNappsNoireNapps Posts: 11Registered Users
    valcave wrote: »
    I just posted about hair type and wondering if knowing your hair type won't help with choosing products?

Not necessarily. Hair type is more about definition, curl pattern....basically the cosmetic aspects of your hair. Products that are successful or not on your hair are based more so on your hairs porosity, level of damage, protein-sensitivity, and scalp condition etc. Me and another naturalista can both be type 4a and she be high porosity and I'm low porosity. The products that work for her might not work well for me.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers
    - Voltaire
    Radical simply means "grasping things at the root"
    - Angela Davis

PIC: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNoireNapps%2Fmy-first-album%2F" class="Popup
  • valcavevalcave Posts: 27Registered Users
    Thanks NoireNapps, when searching products I found that in the ratings the same hair types tend to like the same products. being a newbie I did do the water in the cup test and my hair did not sink to the bottom of the cup but was just under the top of the water! Still when just washed its dry and frizzy....so confusing......
    NoireNapps wrote: »

Not necessarily. Hair type is more about definition, curl pattern....basically the cosmetic aspects of your hair. Products that are successful or not on your hair are based more so on your hairs porosity, level of damage, protein-sensitivity, and scalp condition etc. Me and another naturalista can both be type 4a and she be high porosity and I'm low porosity. The products that work for her might not work well for me.

• artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    Thanks NoireNapps, when searching products I found that in the ratings the same hair types tend to like the same products. being a newbie I did do the water in the cup test and my hair did not sink to the bottom of the cup but was just under the top of the water! Still when just washed its dry and frizzy....so confusing......

That test is highly inaccurate. Think about how many strands you have on your head. Each one is going to tell you only a little bit about what your whole hair needs--a couple of strands in a cup just isn't enough. Think more about:

*how long it takes your hair to wet in the shower
    *how much product your hair can absorb at one time before it becomes too much
    *how long your hair takes to air-dry
    *how much time goes by in between washing/styling before your hair begins to dry out (hours? 1 day? 3 days?)

There will be an overall pattern of "behavior" that your hair will exhibit that the cup test just cannot gauge. For starters you should try using a decent cleansing/clarifying shampoo then a very rich deep conditioner (try using with heat if you can). Personally I would not shampoo again until you absolutely cannot stand it. Use conditioner each time you need to refresh it instead (after rinsing your hair very very well). See how long your hair stays moisturized. If it doesn't last at least 1-3 days, then you can do a search on how to improve that and go from there. Establishing a good moisturizing routine for you and your hair is going to be the best thing to start with regardless of the size of your curls.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog