Aloe Vera & Pectin Jelly Recipe & Results

This morning I made a natural hair jelly with aloe vera juice & pectin. The recipe was:

1 1/2 cups of aloe vera juice
1 1.59oz packet of instant fruit pectin
2 tsps honey
1 tsp EVOO

I put the pectin into a bowl and slowly added aloe vera juice to it, stirring as I went along. I then added the honey & EVOO and mixed that in. The texture is similar to KCCC. No cooking or heating of anything is necessary.

I was going to apply it by scooping some out with my fingertips and applying it to sections but the consistency wouldn't allow me to do it without making a mess. I ended up putting it in the palm of my hands, rubbing together and smoothing over sections. I diffused my hair because I didn't want to air dry in case the gel was flaky. It wasn't.

Pros:
Nice definition
Very little shrinkage
Easy to make
Relatively cheap to get ingredients
Didn't need to use a lot of product for good results

Cons:
Consistency made application slightly difficult at first
Extreme hold (for me)
Requires refrigeration

Things I may do different next time:
Use less honey for a softer hold
Use less aloe vera juice to maybe have a slightly thicker jelly

Results:

results3.jpg

results2.jpg

results1.jpg

And here is how the gel looks:

gel.jpg

I'm still working out the kinks but all in all I am pretty pleased with my results. I could prob get 7 day hair from this.

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Cool beans, maybe less honey for the hold?
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Ahhh that's so cool!! Where does one buy "pectin"? (And what the heck is it?) And what kind of Aloe juice did you use? I know, I sound like a noob...asking about brands and isht, but I'm helpless when it comes to mixtressing.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    That's what I was thinking. I just edited that into my original post LoL. Maybe 1 tsp or half of one.
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    looks nice Foxy! I may have to try this.
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nice!!!!!

I wanna try this someday...
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
    Thank you guys!

Amber, pectin is a powder that you use to make fruit preserves or jam. It is what makes it jelly like. You can buy it at any grocery store in the baking aisle. They have the kind that you cook on the stove with, but I don't have time for that so I just got the instant kind. And I used Fruit of the Earth juice.

Something I noticed is that while it was in the fridge, it thickened up slightly and now I can finger scoop.
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Posts: 343Registered Users
    Thanks. This sounds better than flax seed gel only because flax seed gel is so slimey:hmph:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wanna add some pectin to my flaxseed gel...
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Thanks Foxy!
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this recipe! I'm going to try this right after NaturallyNike's flaxseed custard! Between the two of you, I'm hoping my search for the perfect styler will be over!

PS: NaturallyNike, please be sure to let us know what benefits the pectin adds to your flaxseed when you try it, if any.
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    Awesome Job! I was going to try to attempt a pectin gel myself but I don't like having to refrigerate products. I feel like I would take the time to make it, then forget about it months later.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, your hair looks lovely. :)
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Nice Foxy! Next batch, try putting it in a tube/bottle. thats what I do when I make flaxseed gel and it def helps with application
    Ive got pectin I bought for this very purpose but havent mixed any yet!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    your hair looks fantastic!

you could probably put this in one of those empty dye application bottles from sally's for easier application. this will keep you from dipping fingers also. :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    Cool!

I did similar a while back except I added oils. I could get two week hair when using honey and aloe.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Awesome! I'd love to try this. I need to get some pectin. Before that I need to make a new batch of FSG...

Updates:

So this gel is a keeper. I don't see me buying gel if I can make this (I know, right???)

I did tweak it a bit. Added a half cup more aloe vera juice and 2 more teaspoons of EVOO. I'm still gonna cut the honey in half for my next batch but this is really nice now. I am gonna try to get a squeeze bottle but the consistency is good enough for finger scooping without me having any issues. YAY!
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw this lady named arcamp do this on Youtube.. man did her curls look amazing when she used it.. I actually bought all the ingredients to make it way before I cut my hair.. and I never got around to it because that damn pink Ecostyler got a hold of me and I couldn't part with it long enough to make the Fruit Pectin Gelly.

Your hair turned out really good Foxy.. I love those streaks you have in your hair!!!!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Very nice. :)

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    I'm definitelty giving this a try. Sounds easier to make than flax seed gel.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • Valeriia.SuaValeriia.Sua Posts: 198Registered Users
    Updates:

So this gel is a keeper. I don't see me buying gel if I can make this (I know, right???)

I did tweak it a bit. Added a half cup more aloe vera juice and 2 more teaspoons of EVOO. I'm still gonna cut the honey in half for my next batch but this is really nice now. I am gonna try to get a squeeze bottle but the consistency is good enough for finger scooping without me having any issues. YAY!
    So you tweaked the recipe to: 1 cup aloe vera juice 1 pectin packet 3 tsp of evoo and did the honey change or is it still 2 tbs? Can I sub 1 tbs of honey for agave nectar?

Sent from my LG-MS690 using CurlTalk App
    My Blog --->http://Curls2Envy.com
    198875_4013445726808_1954068923_n.jpg
  • Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    Nice results!I've been wanting to try pectin jelly for a long while now but i always forget.Thanks for getting me reminded.For less hold i'll say omit the honey altogether.If you are using it as a humectant instead use vegetable glycerin i believe you'll end up with a gel with lesser hold.
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
    Updates:

So you tweaked the recipe to: 1 cup aloe vera juice 1 pectin packet 3 tsp of evoo and did the honey change or is it still 2 tbs? Can I sub 1 tbs of honey for agave nectar?

Sent from my LG-MS690 using CurlTalk App

Sorry I'm late responding to this. I've been super busy. Anyway, the new recipe is

2 cups aloe vera juice
    3 tsps EVOO
    1tsp honey
    1 pack of instant fruit pectin

I also did it with no sugar fruit pectin which is different than the instant kind. That recipe only requires 1 tablespoon of no sugar fruit pectin & I substituted grapeseed oil in place of evoo. Using more pectin than the 1 tablespoon left me with a consistency Jello. I'm still working it all out.
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This morning I made a natural hair jelly with aloe vera juice & pectin. The recipe was:

1 1/2 cups of aloe vera juice
    1 1.59oz packet of instant fruit pectin
    2 tsps honey
    1 tsp EVOO

I put the pectin into a bowl and slowly added aloe vera juice to it, stirring as I went along. I then added the honey & EVOO and mixed that in. The texture is similar to KCCC. No cooking or heating of anything is necessary.

I was going to apply it by scooping some out with my fingertips and applying it to sections but the consistency wouldn't allow me to do it without making a mess. I ended up putting it in the palm of my hands, rubbing together and smoothing over sections. I diffused my hair because I didn't want to air dry in case the gel was flaky. It wasn't.

Pros:
    Nice definition
    Very little shrinkage
    Easy to make
    Relatively cheap to get ingredients
    Didn't need to use a lot of product for good results

Cons:
    Consistency made application slightly difficult at first
    Extreme hold (for me)
    Requires refrigeration

Things I may do different next time:
    Use less honey for a softer hold
    Use less aloe vera juice to maybe have a slightly thicker jelly

Results:

results3.jpg

results2.jpg

results1.jpg

And here is how the gel looks:

gel.jpg

I'm still working out the kinks but all in all I am pretty pleased with my results. I could prob get 7 day hair from this.

Ya know...I tried making a pectin gel before and the powder would NOT break down! I had to throw the whole batch out. I was trying to heat it though. I wasn't really sure if I should or shouldn't, since you would need to heat it, if you were actually making jam lol. Anyway, I'm gonna try again. Thanks for posting this!
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file